Agree Agree:  1,010
Likes Likes:  1,284
Page 240 of 240 FirstFirst ... 140190215230236237238239240
Results 3,586 to 3,591 of 3591

Re: Tennis Random, Random 2.0

'I don’t understand why it hasn’t happened': Rafter calls for Kyrgios suspension
    By Sam Phillips
    September 16, 2019 — 4.00pm

Pat Rafter has joined fellow Australian tennis icon Rod Laver in calling for Nick Kyrgios to be suspended for his latest series of outbursts during the US hardcourt season.

Kyrgios has already been fined for $167,000 for his meltdown at the Cincinnati Masters last month, where he appeared to call umpire Fergus Murphy a "f---ing tool" and smashed two racquets during a bathroom break Murphy tried to stop him from taking.

"There is obviously something else going on behind the scenes. I don’t know.

"On paper it looks like he should be suspended, to me."

Kyrgios remains a crowd-pulling drawcard for tournament organisers and Rafter queried that may influence the ATP's decision to suspend the 24-year-old.

"That’s the other thing. He draws a crowd," Rafter said.

"But at what stage do you say the crowd is more important? Or are you trying to uphold a certain standard or protocol for players to adhere to."

Kyrgios, ranked higher than any other Australian man at No.27, presents a headache for Tennis Australia as the country prepares to play host to the new ATP Cup in January.

One of the quirks of the event is that the highest ranked player from each country will pick their team captain.

Given Kyrgios has a frosty relationship with both Rafter and current Davis Cup captain Lleyton Hewitt, it's hard to envisage the outspoken star would select either to lead their team for the tournament, which starts on January 3.

Rafter is certain he won't be called upon should Kyrgios remain top Australian player come the November 13 deadline and Hewitt wouldn't be drawn on the matter.

"This is a great event to be a part of. I think to have any small involvement - whether that is as a captain, commentator, ambassador - whatever it may be," Hewitt said.

"I love getting our great sport and playing the best possible tennis we can at the elite level, here in our country."

The ATP Cup will bring every member of the current top-10 ranked male players in the world - and 27 of the top 30 - to Sydney, Brisbane and Perth between January 3 and 12.

There will be 24 countries split between six groups of four, with the winners of their group all progressing to the final eight alongside the best two second-placed teams.

Each tie will be a best-of-three format involving two singles clashes and one doubles match.

Australia has been drawn in Group F alongside Germany, Greece and Canada at Brisbane's Pat Rafter Arena.

Roger Federer will be the main drawcard in the group stage in Sydney as Switzerland have been drawn in Group C alongside Great Britain, Belgium and a wildcard which will be determined in November.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/...16-p52rum.html

Christopher Clarey
    @christophclarey

My understanding is that if Kyrgios is suspended it could come down before the start of Laver Cup but more likely after it. Incidents still being reviewed. My understanding is that Laver Cup organizers aren't legally obliged to adhere to an ATP ban. Event outside ATP framework

Darren Cahill
    @darren_cahill
    Replying to
    @nadalnews
    @SavannahsTennis
    @christophclarey
    �� they are damn cute you know*. If any sanction is handed down it should disqualify him from competing in the LC. The event and ATP can’t have it both ways. An official sanction means it’s an official ATP event even if there are no points. The Slams & DC can choose to ignore.
    *@nadalnews compared Laver Cup to a platypus.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.Ē

― Frank Zappa

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Iíve just booked a trip to Paris next May and need advice on how to buy French Open tickets. Iím used to applying for Wimbledon tickets so does anyone know if itís a similar set up, or can you just go on the RG website and order what you want?

RG website once tickets are available. I think they come online around March...
    Meet again we do, old foe...

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Drop-shot View Post
    RG website once tickets are available. I think they come online around March...
    Thanks! That gives me time to save up for some good seats then

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    I’ve just booked a trip to Paris next May and need advice on how to buy French Open tickets. I’m used to applying for Wimbledon tickets so does anyone know if it’s a similar set up, or can you just go on the RG website and order what you want?
    Yeah, it's easy to buy them online. The thing to undertand - and maybe you do - is the setup. A few showcourts require a reserved seat, and it's good for only that stadium and then the outer courts. I don't think it's good for the other showcourts. I don't think the showcourts have any general-admission seating. So your options are:
    1. a grounds pass with no showcourts (Chatrier, Lenglen, and maybe the replacement for Court 1, if there is one)
    2. a showcourt ticket that doubles as a grounds pass
    3. multiple showcourt tickets

That's how it was a few years ago when I went. I had a reserved seat on Court 1 for $40, which I thought was great. And I believe it was an all-day session, not day or night session on that court.

Maybe Madame or someone else has more current info.
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; Yesterday at 11:24 AM.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Thanks for the info. It sounds much simpler than applying for Wimbledon tickets! Iím looking to buy a Chatrier ticket, and will have a walk around the grounds

Page 240 of 240 FirstFirst ... 140190215230236237238239240