Re: Tennis Random, Random 2.0

This one is hard to explain:

Boris Becker declared bankrupt
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    This one is hard to explain:

Boris Becker declared bankrupt
    It would explain why he was begging Djokovic to take him back.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

It's hard to understand given that he was JUST coaching a top player. But I guess you can put him alongside all the countless other former athletes who have made bad financial decisions.
    I disapprove of this message

From the same article: Mr Becker's advocate, John Briggs, said: "He is not a sophisticated individual when it comes to finances. I am asking for a real last chance for Mr Becker to come good. It has just taken longer than anticipated."

I think it explains enough... Part of it is arrogance of those people thinking that because they were great on the playing field they'll be great in business too.
    Roger forever

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

That's not how this normally works... is it? Usually it's the person in debt who declares bankruptcy because that grants them some protection from creditors. I'm guessing the creditor was asking for this because they know he has hard assets that can be liquidated and now they can force him to do that? Otherwise, why does the creditor want Becker to have bankruptcy protection from them?

I'm sure Boris has more than enough cash stashed away in tax-free havens/off-shore accounts.
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Dan Evans has announced he has failed a drugs test for cocaine. No surprise here he has always been a **** I hope this is the last we see of him

Agree that he is a jerk, but in the words of Ivan Lendl: "I don't agree with suspensions for recreational drugs. The only person he is hurting is himself"
    (Paraphrased)
    Starry starry night

Stuart Fraser‏Verified account
    @stu_fraser

Dan Evans read out a statement for around 70 seconds before departing the room. Not taking questions.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Somewhere Aljaz Bedene is

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Stuart Fraser‏Verified account
    @stu_fraser

Dan Evans read out a statement for around 70 seconds before departing the room. Not taking questions.
    Oh darn I was waiting for him to say it was from kissing a prostitue

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    Oh darn I was waiting for him to say it was from kissing a prostitue
    He's not bright enough to create a "Pamela".

Very nice interview between Woz and a former top Badminton player. Here's where she talks about critics and her relationship with her father.

What’s it like to be judged and measured after every single match?

My attitude depends on how well I know the person. If it’s someone who’s grown up with me, and has seen me from when I was a junior, or a U-12, to now, or if it’s someone who’s never seen me practice or play matches, and suddenly has an opinion. There’s a big difference. Like, if it’s someone who’s been a part of my training or my team at some point, then I respect what they say, they have the right to an opinion, and sometimes it super good, other times it’s, she needs to do this or that better, then OK. If it’s coming from a place where they’ve followed my practices, they’ve followed my matches, then I’m OK with it. But if it’s people with an attitude, or aren’t in tennis any more, or haven’t had anything to do with tennis, have never seen my play or practice, or met me once when I was twelve, then it’s, like, Come On! [said by both simultaneously] Just go away.

There are a lot of people who’ve had an opinion about your coaching set-up. You’ve had your father as your coach. During that time, when there have been an amazing number of opinions about it, has it been tough for you to stick with: he’s the one you want, that’s the way it is.

— I think, not really for me personally, but I think it’s been tough for my father, always having to defend himself. I think it’s been a shame. I know how much he puts into it, and how much he’s helped me, he’s been my coach since the beginning, and hasn’t received the credit for it. I think that’s been tough. The people closest know how much he’s given. It’s been tough seeing him sawed in half because I’ve lost a match or not done as well as some expect. It’s more that I feel sorry for him than I question it.

What is the biggest reason you think it’s the best thing for you to have your father as coach?

— For me, well, he’s my father and wants what’s best for me. I’m his daughter, so that’s obvious. But also that he’s been with me every step of the way since I was seven and picked up a racquet for the first time. And maybe we’ve parted ways at times, then come back together and decided this was the way to do things. There’s that belief. We trust each other. We might go the wrong way so we can get on to the right way, but we do it together. It’s given fantastic results. It’s nice to have the family along when you travel alone so much. I’m a person who likes to be alone a lot, but, at the same time, but I also like that there’s family, or people around you can relax with, where you don’t feel you need to talk with them, or they don’t need to talk with you, but just understand you.

Is it also with your dad being able to be the ‘hysterical daughter’ when it suits, and be Caroline the good tennis player when there’s time for that?

For sure. It means a lot. As an athlete yourself you know there are days where you think, it’s tough to be out here and you’re playing terribly in practice or in matches, and you need to unload, other times you think it’s the greatest thing in the world, and you want them to ride along and think it’s just as much fun as you think it is. That’s where it’s good to have someone who knows you so well that they think, OK, it’s going to be a long day, or it’s going to be a good day.
    Translated from the Danish by Mark Nixon

https://tennistranslations.wordpress...illa-norgaard/

PRESS RELEASE
    23 June 2017

Tennis Anti-Doping Programme statement regarding Daniel Evans

Following the statement made by Daniel Evans today, the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme (TADP) can confirm the following:

On 24 April 2017, Mr Evans, a 27-year-old player from Great Britain, provided an anti-doping sample to the TADP in association with his participation in the Barcelona Open, an ATP World Tour event, held in Barcelona, Spain.

That sample was analysed by a World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) accredited laboratory in Montreal, Canada, and was found to contain cocaine and its metabolite. Cocaine is a Non-Specified substance prohibited under category S6 of the 2017 WADA Prohibited List (stimulants), and therefore is also prohibited under the TADP.

In accordance with Article 2.1 of the TADP, Mr Evans was charged on 16 June with an Anti-Doping Rule Violation.

Mr Evans has accepted the finding of cocaine in his sample collected on 24 April.

As positive tests for Non-Specified Substances carry a mandatory Provisional Suspension, Mr Evans will be provisionally suspended with effect from 26 June, under Article 8.3.1(c) of the 2017 TADP, pending determination of the case.

The Tennis Anti-Doping Programme is a comprehensive and internationally recognised drug-testing programme that applies to all players competing at Grand Slam tournaments and events sanctioned by the ITF, ATP, and WTA. Players are tested for substances prohibited by the World Anti-Doping Agency and, upon a finding that an Anti-Doping Rule Violation has been committed, sanctions are imposed in accordance with the requirements of the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme and World Anti-Doping Code. More background information on the Programme, sanctions, tennis statistics and related information can be found at www.itftennis.com/antidoping.

- ENDS

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Penguin Arcade Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Chopper Challenge Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion, Quick Words Champion, Yeti Sports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I didn't know we hated Daniel Evans. What did I miss?
    Rest in peace, Lizbeth Rivera (1988-2018).

Page 3 of 176 FirstFirst 1234567132853103 ... LastLast