Agree Agree:  813
Likes Likes:  1,007
Page 181 of 199 FirstFirst ... 81131156171177178179180181182183184185191 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,715 of 2982

Re: Tennis Random, Random 2.0

United States Tennis Association Media Conference
    Wednesday January 9, 2019
    New York, New York
    Mardy Fish
    Patrick Galbraith
    Stacey Allaster
    Martin Blackman

BRENDAN McINTYRE: Thank you, everyone, for joining the call today. We're incredibly excited to make this announcement. We are joined by the USTA chairman of the board and president, Patrick Galbraith; chief executive professional tennis from the USTA, Stacey Allaster; the general manager of player development, Martin Blackman; and our new Davis Cup captain, Mardy Fish.

I will turn it over to Patrick for some comments.

PATRICK GALBRAITH: Today we are pleased to announce Mardy Fish named the U.S. Davis Cup captain. We're thrilled with the excitement and passion Mardy is going to bring to the team. As a former player, I know Mardy will inspire our players to get success throughout the year and years to come.

I also want to thank Jim Courier for his time and his leadership as Davis Cup captain. He's been a great ambassador for our team.

With that, I would like to turn it over to Stacey Allaster, chief executive of professional tennis.

STACEY ALLASTER: Thank you. Good afternoon, everyone. Still a few days, Happy New Year.

I think before I say my remarks, thank you, everyone, in advance for all the support you'll give us in 2019 to support our athletes, our tournaments and everything we're doing for the game at the USTA. That's what today's call is really all about.

When we look at our pro tennis assets, what we're trying to do is really integrate those assets to further utilize and optimize, to support our player development goals, and to grow the game through our Net Generation initiatives throughout the country.

We started this process a few years ago when Kathy Rinaldi was appointed our Federation Cup captain. Last couple of years, Jim Courier stepped up, as well, in this new model where he played an ambassadorial role for our Net Generation launch. He was also really helpful and successful in working with Martin Blackman as it relates to full integration with Team USA.

I'll turn it over to Martin to give you more details on how this position will evolve even further with our new Davis Cup captain, Mardy Fish.

MARTIN BLACKMAN: Thanks, everyone for making the call.

Just a couple things on the front end. I want to just recognize Patrick Galbraith for initiating what has been a very deliberate process to identify our next captain. I also want to recognize and thank Jim Courier, who has been a great captain, great to work with.

As we looked for our new captain, we saw an opportunity to expand the role and have a year-round presence for the captain, and even more integration with player development. Jim Courier, Captain Courier, was great to work with, so generous with his time. With this new role, we're going to be able to even expand it more.

Mardy will be able to go to selected tournaments throughout the year to interface with our top players and their private coaches. The guys have told us that that support year-round at the tournaments on the outside courts just means so much to them. Obviously that will enable Mardy to get to know their games even more so that when we get to Madrid, we've got that competitive advantage.

Also Mardy in this role will be a great ambassador not just for American tennis and our top players but also for our Net Generation youth initiative, which is really our focus right now at the base to grow the game.

In his position of leadership, he's going to be someone who kids look to as an inspirational figure. When they see Mardy and the guys with that jacket in Madrid representing Team USA, they'll also know that Mardy really cares about every kid who picks up a racquet.

So excited to have Mardy on the team. He knows our coaches really well in the pro space. He has unbelievable relationships with our top players. I just know that it's going to be a great era that we're entering into with Mardy as captain.

BRENDAN McINTYRE: We'll turn it over to our newest Davis Cup captain, Mardy Fish.

MARDY FISH: Thank you. Obviously I thank everyone for being on the call today.

It's a really special morning out here in L.A., no doubt. Ever since I turned pro, was a practice partner, I've been through a few generations of Davis Cup captains, all the way back to Johnny Mack in 1999 in Santander. It's been something that is a dream job for me, something that I won't take for granted, and am completely honored. It's just incredibly special to even be mentioned as a possible candidate.

To be the Davis Cup captain, the next Davis Cup captain, incredibly humbled. I can't even express how excited I am, how excited I am that the players have supported the decision. The friendships I've made throughout the years, relationships of all the players, not just the top players, is very special.

I've answered the call every time P Mack or Jim had asked me to play, whether it was a practice partner or an actual player on the team. I can't tell you how excited I am to get started, to start sort of integrating the future players with the current players. We've got a really fun and exciting time in U.S. tennis right now.

BRENDAN McINTYRE: I think at this juncture, we are ready to switch over to the Q&A portion of the call.

Q. What are your concerns about the reformatted Davis Cup and player participation in that regard? It's still early in the process, but can you address that, where you see that might be going.
    MARDY FISH: Yeah, no, I've spoken with all the players already. We just sort of called out to all of them sort of last night. They're all very excited. Everyone is really excited about the idea of the reform, the new format, sort of a World Cup of tennis, if you will.

It's going to be interesting for all parties to see how it goes. I think it's going to be awesome personally. I was excited about the change initially. I know all the players are, as well. All the ones that I've spoken to just briefly, just over the years, knowing how much all the way from our top player John Isner, to the guys that haven't been able to play yet, want to play badly, Taylor Fritz, Reilly Opelka, they're all really excited about the new format.

Q. In terms of how you're going to find the time, because you've been starting off your foundation in Florida, will you be able to continue that or are you going to have to take a holiday from that?
    MARDY FISH: No, no, my foundation is a huge part of my life. My father runs it in Vero Beach. We've been doing it for 12 years now. We have our next one here January 14th. I will always find time for my foundation.

But I'm very excited about the idea and prospect. When I sort of knew I was retiring, knew the timetable, one of the first people that I called was Martin Blackman. I always knew that I wanted to help sort of mentor and coach. I love helping to guide not for profit, but how can I figure out how to be involved and just help.

I knew that the West Coast training center out here in Carson, California, was a few miles away, sometimes an hour and a half away in traffic out here, but not too far away. So that was something that we put in place even while I was still playing, trying to help, trying to figure out exactly the perfect role for how much I can give and how much I can help and where that fits in with the USTA.

Obviously selfishly this is, in my opinion, the best job that anyone can have in tennis after you retire. The only thing better would be a playing captain. We don't need to worry about that.

Honestly, this is the most exciting position that I could possibly imagine. Like I said before, I'm so honored. Speaking with Jim Courier just yesterday, Patrick McEnroe this morning, Tom Gullikson late last night, I can't believe that I'm going to be guiding these guys. I can't tell you how excited I am.

Q. Mardy, can you speak to the new role, maybe expand on how you'll be working with USTA Player Development throughout the year.
    MARDY FISH: Yeah, absolutely. That has always been something that I've been excited about. Like I just mentioned, sort of helping any and all of the players, mentoring the players new and old, present and future. It's just something that I'm very passionate about.

I love learning from, A, my mistakes, growing, maturing that way throughout my career, sort of being able to guide these players along, even the guys that won't be playing Davis Cup, won't be a part of it necessarily, trying to build that team camaraderie around everyone.

There was a text message that I sent out last night with 25 guys on it. It wasn't just sort of the five guys that I want to play with in November. All the way down the list, I want everyone to feel like they're part of Team USA, wanted and welcomed at all times.

They've always known that. Like I said before in the last question, just finding that perfect role was Martin and I's sort of juxtaposition initially working with Taylor Fritz for a couple years, helping with Jared Donaldson, helping with Jack Sock earlier last year, just kind of mentoring and learning.

I went through a lot of up and downs in my career. It was from tack of work ethic, motivation, discipline, professionalism. It wasn't because I wasn't a hard worker, I just didn't truly understand what it took to get everything out of what you have, what you're given.

Luckily I found that out and did that, did everything I could possibly do. I made every decision that I could possibly make as a player around me trying to be the best player I could possibly be. Learning from those mistakes that I made, from the things that I've learned while getting everything out of the work ethic, understanding the professionalism, the dedication that it does take on a day-by-day basis.

I want to try as best I can to sort of motivate those guys and show them, extend the years on their careers, quicken the careers from where they may be as quickly as possible on the fast track.

Q. Colombia 2010, you swept the three matches, 14 sets. Talk about what that meant to you or a favorite moment from there. Talk about the Davis Cup and American tennis. It's been a while since we prevailed. Is it still important and relevant to the game in America?
    MARDY FISH: I know with the players, it certainly is. They're very excited. They're always excited. I think Martin, Stacey can speak on how involved the players wanted to be in the choice of this captain, this captaincy.

I've always told Martin I wish he was the head of player development while I was playing. Man, does he have the players' backs, looking at the best interests of how do we get everything out of every player, how can we put them in the best possible position.

These guys are excited about it. That's our goal, right, is to grow the game in the States, also bring back the Cup really. Since 2007, which I had a small part in, it's been that we haven't won it.

I know it's a really fun time to come in because we have some really young players that are just learning how to win and how to go through the rigors of the tour on a daily basis, weekly basis, how to pick their schedules, how to go about their careers. We have some older guys that also like to help.

John Isner is a huge asset for us, period, obviously a great player, but also a great guy, someone who has always been open to discussions on how players play. Certainly a student of the game. I'm going to lean on a lot of the former players as well. Some of my best friends, Andy Roddick, James Blake, these guys that I talk to almost on a daily basis about the game. I talk to Andy a ton about the game now, his thoughts. Certainly going to lean on him a lot as well as this process unfolds.

To answer the first part of your question, Colombia, there are a lot of USTA sort of board members, there were a ton of people in Monte-Carlo, there were a ton of USTA people in Madrid. There weren't very many in Bogota, Colombia. There weren't that many of us that were there and really understood the conditions and how hard it was to play in that tie with pressure-less balls at 10,000 feet, figuring out the first day we got there we couldn't walk up the stairs without being out of breath, playing 14 sets in three days. Certainly Davis Cup-wise, that was my most proud moment, there's no doubt about it.

The last tie that I played 2012 in Switzerland, beating Wawrinka on the clay in singles, a long five-setter, then taking out that Federer guy with Mike Bryan.

It's been a fun ride playing-wise in Davis Cup. Some lows, but certainly a lot of great memories. I just hope that continues.

Q. You obviously went through the health issues. How did that put the sport of tennis in perspective for you?
    MARDY FISH: That's a whole different discussion. Mental health is a whole different discussion. Obviously it's something that I'm incredibly passionate about on a whole 'nother level.

It changed my life. I didn't know anything about mental health. No one around me had any issues with mental health. It really blindsided me personally. It blindsided my family.

Thank God for the support system that I had. Who knows where I'd be. There's no telling. Certainly got a great grasp on it. It's been a lot of years, something that I'll always have in my life, always have to deal with in a small part, but always have those memories of how it came about, just learning from all of the situations that I go through.

Yeah, mental health is a huge part of a lot of people's lives, millions and millions of people in this country, around the world. It's something that another conversation we can have, a long conversation that I'd love to have.

Q. Talk about the advice that past Davis Cup captains have given you, and what do you think is going to be your biggest challenge as the Davis Cup captain?
    MARDY FISH: I have great relationships with all of those guys that I played for and with. Incredible amount of respect for Patrick McEnroe and Jim Courier. I can't tell you enough about how supportive Jim has been since they decided to name me as the captain, as well as throughout when I played with him. It was so cool to be part of playing and having someone like him.

As a player, you sit down on the changeover. It doesn't matter what situation you were in, had been in at that time, you knew that he had been in the exact same situation at one time or another. It felt really good to be able to sit down next to someone who was supportive, who was a friend as well as your coach and a captain. Just learning from them and understanding the support.

I'll certainly be a player's captain, I mean, just my relationships with the guys, the relationships that I've made are very special throughout the years. I played in this era not too long ago.

To a lot of the guys, this is a coaching aspect as well. The bottom line is you want to win in this competition. A lot of these guys I played against. There's a unique effect there, to be able to draw on past experiences of some of the guys I'm sure we will play in competition. That's nice.

I think the hardest part, which is the most exciting part as well for me, in my opinion, is just trying to mold together the future with the present. I think it will be easy. Everyone gets along really well. But that's the most exciting and challenging part of all of it.

Q. Can you explain how you plan on using the captaincy to integrate Net Generation into Davis Cup, bridge the young players in?
    MARDY FISH: As well as being the Davis Cup captain, you're the ambassador, you're a face of American tennis, one of the faces of American tennis. You certainly want to grow the game and make sure that it's in good hands when you leave it, as well. We want to build and promote the game as best as we can. You want to make sure that you leave the game in a better place, leave Davis Cup in a better place, than when you got it.

I certainly love that opportunity. I love the idea. That was something that I was very excited about being able to be a part of that, just having that platform to promote, grow.

Obviously tennis has been my life. My father went to the US Open even before I was born as a fan. Tennis he's a part of my family and my life forever. To have this unique opportunity to be able to grow the game, to be able to promote the game, is a very special honor that I will not take lightly.

STACEY ALLASTER: If I could help Mardy with some specifics. In the next month, Mardy will come to the USTA national campus in Orlando. He will meet with Craig Morris, who leads our Net Generation initiative. Worked with Jim and Kathy, currently still does. Could be some coaching for our providers across the country who are supporting Net Generation, community, clubs, parks and schools.

Because Mardy will spend more time on the road, and as Martin said, when he's wearing that jacket, is the symbol and represents all of us on Team USA, we'll want Mardy to meet with kids, whether that's clinics, activities. We really want to use the Davis Cup to inspire kids to play the game. Either they just come to the game, they play more.

We all know how passionate Mardy is. We know he'll do a phenomenal job with the guys in the competition. We were equally excited to have Mardy in this role. The guy just loves, loves the game. Now when he's representing us at our tournaments, we know we'll put him to work sharing that passion with kids.

Q. Next year is going to be Olympics. Have you had any discussions regarding the Olympics?
    MARDY FISH: I haven't. Should we try to do some negotiations right now on the phone (laughter)?

Q. I don't mean to diminish the Davis Cup. Your record in the Olympics is so good, medal winner. You have a lot to offer as a potential captain for the U.S. in the Olympics. Are you thinking about it?
    STACEY ALLASTER: Today it's about the Davis Cup. Certainly Mardy does offer us a lot. Together with Martin, Ken, we'll have those discussions in the coming months as it relates to the Olympics.

BRENDAN McINTYRE: Thanks so much for joining the call. Thank you to Patrick, Stacey and Martin. Congratulations to the 41st captain for the U.S. Davis Cup, Mardy Fish.

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports
    Rev #1 by #168 at 2019-01-09 17:48:00 GMT

ASAP sports

For some reason, some of my blogs have disappeared. I wrote this when Mardy Fish retired.
    It has not aged badly.
    Starry starry night

My perception of Mardy was permanently dinged after I saw one particular behavioral trait come out when I was volunteering at the now defunct LA Tournament.

Sponsor was Mercedes and we a fleet of mid-sized SUVs to move the players around. As a top seed he was given one for personal use during the tournament. Now mind you, he lives in LA, and practically down the street from the tournament, so had his personal cars available to him. But noooooo...one day he wanders in and asks for a larger SUV. We had only one large one, and it was quite handy when it came to picking up players and their coaches/entourages at the airport, especially players such as Delpo who were coming from overseas to start the US Open swing. But being the big Fish at the tournament he was given the only large SUV we had.

I just thought it was such bad form to ask for a larger vehicle when you live in the same city, and practically down the street. An unnecessary sense of entitlement. After that it was hard for me to root for the guy.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

I always thought he was a pretty down to earth guy. So thanks for the info. Will re-calibrate.
    Starry starry night

Christopher Clarey
    ‏Verified account
    @christophclarey

Welcome to 2019 Chris Evert

From today's ESPN Australian Open preview call

"Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Justin Gimelstob to have major say on fate of ATP president despite impending assault trial
    by Simon Briggs, tennis correspondent
    9 JANUARY 2019 • 10:30PM

Association of Tennis Professionals board member Justin Gimelstob is flying out to Melbourne this week to help decide the future of the organisation’s president, Chris Kermode, despite awaiting trial on charges of aggravated assault.

Gimelstob has sparked surprise in the world of tennis by declining to step down from his post while he tries to clear his name, having pleaded not guilty ahead of a court hearing in Los Angeles on Jan 31.

The ATP player council will discuss on Saturday whether to renew Kermode’s contract, which expires at the end of 2020. A long-standing atmosphere of mistrust between the two men means that Gimelstob is expected to vote against renewal.

The ATP constitution says that Kermode’s renewal would need the support of two of the three player representatives: Gimelstob, David Egdes and Alex Inglot. The perception within the game is that where Gimelstob leads, Egdes – a close friend of Gimelstob’s, who was appointed as a temporary player representative on the board in November – will follow.

Gimelstob was arrested last year in Los Angeles for an alleged assault on venture capitalist Randall Kaplan, 50. He is alleged to have knocked Kaplan – a friend of his estranged wife Cary – to the ground and hit him in the head and face 50 times, shouting: “I am going to kill you.”

In November, The Daily Telegraph revealed that Gimelstob has been accused of violent conduct before, including in court documents filed by his estranged wife. Yet the ATP board voted in December to keep Gimelstob as an active member, and the 10-man ATP player council – led by world No 1 Novak Djokovic – has declined to exercise its power to remove him.

The subject of Kermode’s future has dominated conversation in Melbourne this week. The ATP board will make its decision before the end of January – and can vote via a conference call if necessary – but the main discussion is scheduled in person at Saturday’s meeting of the player council.

The ATP board comprises three tournament representatives and three player representatives. These are opposing sides in a continuing tug of war, and the ATP president is the seventh member, who is meant to steer a path of compromise.

For much of his five years in the job, Kermode – a 53-year-old Briton who has previously run the ATP Finals and the Fever-Tree Championships at Queen’s Club – has been perceived as player-friendly. But now it is the tournament side who are furious about the prospect that he might be defenestrated, leading to a fight for the ATP succession at a time when the sport is in a state of flux.

The third player representative on the board is Inglot, another Briton, a former director of communications at betting data company Sportradar. But Inglot, who was elected in May, is relatively inexperienced and tends to follow the lead of the player council on most issues.

“No-one knows what will happen on Saturday,” said one insider. “This is a particularly difficult time for the sport, with all the new team competitions about to begin, and it has never been more in need of strong leadership.

“If the player representatives on the board now vote to remove Chris – at a time when one is facing criminal charges, a second is a temporary appointment, and a third is still wet behind the ears – then it will cause a massive stink around the whole game. Relations between tournaments and players would hit an all-time low.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2...ite-impending/
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Tennis match-fixing: 28 professional players among 83 arrested and investigated as part of large criminal gang
    A major investigation in Spain saw 11 houses raided, with one of the 28 professional players investigated competing at last year’s US Open

Jack de Menezes

Spanish Police have arrested 15 people and investigated 68 more, including 28 professional tennis players, as part of a large-scale investigation into match-fixing, Europol have said.

The Spanish Civil Guard carried out a series of raids in coordination with the National High Court of Spain (Audiencia Nacional) and Europol on 11 houses on Thursday following an investigation into an Armenian criminal gang.

Europol confirmed that €167,000 (151,000) was seized from the raids along with a shotgun, more than 50 electronic devices, credit cards, five luxury vehicles and numerous documents. Authorities have also frozen 42 bank accounts.

“Fifteen people have been arrested, among them the heads of the organisation, and another 68 are under investigation,” the Civil Guard said in a statement. “Of those 83, 28 are professional tennis players who have either been detained or investigated – one of whom took part in the last US Open.”

The investigation, launched in 2017 when the Tennis Integrity Unit (TIU) reported irregular activities in matches at ITF Futures and Challenger tournaments, alleges that professional players accepted bribes in return of fixing results.

Europol added that at least 97 ITF Futures and Challenger matches were fixed.

"Our officers have proved the group had been operating since February 2017 and estimate that they had earned millions of euros through the operation," added the Civil Guard's statement.

While the identities of 28 professional players have not been released, it has been stated that one of them participated at the 2018 US Open.

"The suspects bribed professional players to guarantee predetermined results and used the identities of thousands of citizens to bet on the pre-arranged games," Europol said.

One professional player has been accused of being the “go-between” for the gang and the rest of the criminal group, and members of the Armenian group are alleged to have attended matches in order to ensure that bribed players carry through with the pre-determined results, before giving the go-ahead to place bets at both national and international levels.

“A group of Armenian individuals used a professional player who served as the link between them and the other members of the network,” the statement added.

“Once the bribe had been paid, the Armenians headed for the match venues to use their overwhelming muscle to make sure that the player kept their end of the deal. They then gave the order for bets to be laid both nationally and internationally.”

The Civil Guard added: “Those currently under arrest ran the money through different accounts before finally transferring it to those under their control, always using false names,” said police. “They are suspected of membership of a criminal organisation, corrupting private individuals (in the sporting world), fraud, money laundering, illegal possession of firearms and identity theft.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a8720886.html

Jon Wertheim
    ‏Verified account
    @jon_wertheim

Vasek Pospisil writes an impassioned letter to players ranked 50-100 in advance of tonight’s ⁦@ATP_Tour⁩ meeting calling for regime change.

Tyler Green
    ‏@TylerGreenBooks
    Retweeted Jon Wertheim
    Vasek Pospisil's math is deeply sexist. Total tourney revenue is generated by both the men and the women. Vasek is pretending the women don't generate any of the tourney's revenue. Given that these guys support Gimel and Stakhs, the sexism and attendant blindness is no surprise.

This may be drivel, but it's still useful insight into the overwhelming sexism at the core of the @ATP_Tour. (On the subject of GS revenue splits, the @WTA seems totally disengaged, its players at risk of being left behind. Leadership: needed.)

If you love tennis, and especially the @WTA, please RT this thread. There's little reason to expect the tennis media -- esp the Gimel-associated tennis media -- to cover this correctly or well.

Sydney to host new ATP Cup tournament featuring world’s best male tennis players
    JANUARY 11, 2019

The Sydney International is gone. The stacked women’s WTA event will be moved to another city, likely Brisbane.

And in its place will be a game-changing “State of Origin” style men’s tournament played from January 3-12 at Sydney Olympic Park Tennis Centre next year that is expected to be pump $36 million into the NSW economy.

Details of the shake-up can now be revealed, with the NSW’s government’s $50 million grant to build a roof on Ken Rosewall Arena landing them the ATP Cup finals that will feature the best 24 male players around the world.

Luring the likes of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic for a week in Sydney before the Australian Open will inject unprecedented tourism dollars into the state, NSW sports minister Stuart Ayres said.

“Destinations NSW has valued it around $36 million a year in visitor expenditure in NSW, so that’s a fantastic result,” Ayres told The Daily Telegraph.

“We may do better than that, but that’s what we’ve benchmarked it at.

The ATP Cup Sydney tournament will attract the likes of (l-r) Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic.
    “I don’t think the ATP Cup finals come here unless we invest in a roof at Ken Rosewall, that’s a basic fundamental and a direct relationship between events, and infrastructure investment.

“When the ATP started talking about a teams based event, I likened it from an Australian perspective to State of Origin.

“When you’re out there playing for yourself or your club it’s one thing, but once you put your national stripes on, and for the top 24 players in the world they’re leading their countries, if that doesn’t make the hairs on your next stand up and make your heart beat a little faster, then I don’t know whether you’re a sports fan.

“It’s exactly the reason we invest in infrastructure, to ensure we get those big international events, the big money spinners for our economy. They fill our hotel rooms, bars, cafes, pubs, and that creates jobs.

“We already know the visitor economy sustains 130,000 jobs in NSW, so it’s a huge contributor to our economic performance.”

Top male players have avoided Sydney for years because it’s too close to the Australian Open.

The new teams event, with $22 million in prizemoney up for grabs, will be shifted a week earlier to allow the best male players in the game adequate time for recovery before their Melbourne campaigns begin in 2020.

The women’s field, which has traditionally been stacked in Sydney because they don’t play extra sets at Grand Slams, will shift to another city next year, ending the Sydney International tournament.

“After a fantastic run here, the women’s tour won’t be in Sydney next year, this event in its current guise will move elsewhere,” Tennis NSW chief executive Lawrence Robertson said.

“We look at this from a national perspective, the fact is we have overinvested in women’s tennis for the last 25 years, we’ve provided more jobs and prizemoney for women’s tennis than we have for men’s tennis over the past 25 years.

“And there’s no reduction in the content or prizemoney, in fact I understand the commitment to prizemoney will increase in Brisbane.

“What it means longer term for women’s tennis in Sydney, we do know that Craig Tiley, Tennis Australia’s chief executive, and Steve Simon, the chief executive of the WTA, are in constructive discussions and looking at options to consider a similar team concept in the near future.

“It’s not in 2020, it’s not likely in 2021, but there is an appetite from both parties. But in the immediate short-term, the WTA event here will be moved to another city.”

The Fast4 had been used to lure the likes of Federer and Nadal to Sydney for exhibition games while the Sydney International was being played, but now the ATP Cup finals will be here, there is no need for the shortened format.

“The Fast 4 concept was almost a precursor for where we’ve landed,” Robertson said.

“We wanted to test new formats ahead of the AO and we wanted to do it in Sydney.

“You take the Fast4 as an entertainment product and then you multiply it twice a day over 10 days, it’s just going to be a fantastic upgrade of what we’ve had.

“We will not have time to consider other exhibition events, we need to nail this event here first time.

“It’s the biggest change in the tennis calendar for a generation and I think we’ve got the two most progressive governing bodies [Tennis Australia and the ATP] delivering it.

“For sports fans in Sydney, I don’t think the penny has dropped quite yet on what’s coming their way.”

Robertson added: “We’re in our 126th year of the NSW Open, and a big consideration of us as a body is that legacy continues.

“So there will be a NSW Open. It may be at a lower level, but the NSW Open is not now being put in a cupboard.”

Article is paywalled: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...b4a84df83ded5f

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Jon Wertheim
    ‏Verified account
    @jon_wertheim

Vasek Pospisil writes an impassioned letter to players ranked 50-100 in advance of tonight’s ⁦@ATP_Tour⁩ meeting calling for regime change.

Tyler Green
    ‏@TylerGreenBooks
    Retweeted Jon Wertheim
    Vasek Pospisil's math is deeply sexist. Total tourney revenue is generated by both the men and the women. Vasek is pretending the women don't generate any of the tourney's revenue. Given that these guys support Gimel and Stakhs, the sexism and attendant blindness is no surprise.

This may be drivel, but it's still useful insight into the overwhelming sexism at the core of the @ATP_Tour. (On the subject of GS revenue splits, the @WTA seems totally disengaged, its players at risk of being left behind. Leadership: needed.)

If you love tennis, and especially the @WTA, please RT this thread. There's little reason to expect the tennis media -- esp the Gimel-associated tennis media -- to cover this correctly or well.
    I didn't go the link and read the full thing, but to me it sounds like he's just saying the players group he is part of should be getting a bigger piece of the pie? He doesn't mention women, but I didn't read that as him saying they don't generate revenue? If anything, I read that as throwing shade at the top ATP players if that letter was " for players 50-100?"
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

Indeed, what does he have to do with women in this context? WTA players should stand up for their own rights.
    Roger forever

I was also surprised by the person's reply. I bet that if Pospisil would have mentioned the WTA then some other feminist crusader would have come along with "Pospisil is patronizing the WTA by telling them what to do! Pig!"
    And he is talking about the ATP because that is where he works. He does not work for/in the WTA.
    Last edited by ponchi101; 01-12-2019 at 03:43 PM.
    Starry starry night

Is it the math? Saying that they get 10%, but should earn 50% of the slam revenue? Are they implying he should have said the bump should be 10 to 25% (because the 50% should be split 50/50)?

Sort of depends on if the 10% figure he's stating (guessing?) is 10% men and 10% women, or 10% total.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    Is it the math? Saying that they get 10%, but should earn 50% of the slam revenue? Are they implying he should have said the bump should be 10 to 25% (because the 50% should be split 50/50)?

Sort of depends on if the 10% figure he's stating (guessing?) is 10% men and 10% women, or 10% total.
    It's 10% of total revenue for all players, but the figure could be much lower because most of the tournaments don't release their figures publicly and so it's based on estimates.

ATP player council to discuss removing chief executive Chris Kermode as crisis brews
    Simon Briggs, tennis correspondent, in melbourne
    12 JANUARY 2019 • 12:39AM

While the tennis world pays its respects to the retiring Andy Murray, there is a crisis developing at the heart of the men’s tour, with the ATP player council meeting in Melbourne on Saturday to discuss the possible ejection of president and chief executive Chris Kermode.

The Telegraph has seen a strongly worded email, sent out by player council member Vasek Pospisil to the players ranked between 50 and 100, which calls for the workforce to “start acting and running like a business not like a bunch of scared kids … we need a CEO that first and foremost represents OUR interests”.

Pospisil’s argument has much in common with last year’s suggestions from Novak Djokovic – the chairman of the player council – that tennis should have a player’s union that is separate from the ATP. As Pospisil writes “the governance structure of the ATP favours the interests of the tournaments and its [their] owners … It’s time for a change and it can be achieved by staying unified and demanding what we deserve for our hard work”.

The move is carefully timed because the ATP board is due to vote on the possible renewal of Kermode’s contract before the end of the month. There are three tournament representatives on the ATP board and three player representatives: namely Justin Gimelstob (the commentator and ex-player who is facing assault charges in Los Angeles), David Egdes (Gimelstob’s close associate from the Tennis Channel, and a temporary board member who came in less than two months ago) and Alex Inglot (formerly director of communications at the betting data firm Sportradar).

Kermode needs two of the three board members from each side of the ATP to support him if his contract is to be renewed. But if the ATP player council instruct their three representatives on the board members to oust him, it seems likely that a cold war will break out between the players’ side of the organisation and the tournaments’ side.

Meanwhile the former Australian Open champion Stan Wawrinka told the Telegraph that he cannot understand why Kermode needs to be removed. “It [the vote] is big for the sport,” said Wawrinka. “The most important will be to keep our president. All the things going on behind [the scenes] to try to put pressure on some people, to try to move the actual person, doesn’t feel clean, doesn’t feel good.

“If you look what’s happened the last few years with our president, I think he only helped the tennis to be in a better place. I personally think if you look only at the results – about the tennis, about the image, about the prize money and about everything – he did a great job by upgrading everything.

“I also think that some people have some personal interest for sure. But at the end of the day I also think that you need to see the big picture. What’s the reason for changing? Is the prize money not high enough? Is the calendar not good enough? I don’t know. But there should be a reason to move someone at that spot after a few years going quite positive for the tennis. That’s maybe where it’s a bit strange.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2...chris-kermode/

Page 181 of 199 FirstFirst ... 81131156171177178179180181182183184185191 ... LastLast