Agree Agree:  34
Likes Likes:  30
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

2017 ATP WTF 11/12 - 11/19

13 June 2017

NADAL FIRST TO QUALIFY FOR 2017 NITTO ATP FINALS

LONDON – Rafael Nadal will look to add the Nitto ATP Finals trophy to his impressive collection when he returns to The O2 this November. The Spaniard becomes the first player to clinch a berth at the prestigious season-ending tournament, to be staged 12-19 November in London, after winning his record 10th Roland Garros title on Sunday in Paris.

“I've had a great season so far and I am happy to have already qualified for London,” said Nadal. “I could not play last year because of injury so I look forward to returning in November.”

Since first qualifying in 2005, Nadal has earned a place in the elite eight-man field for 13 straight seasons. He achieved his best results in 2010 and ‘13, when he finished runner-up to Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic respectively.

This season, Nadal has compiled an ATP-best 43-6 match record with four titles. In addition to becoming the first player in the Open Era to claim 10 titles at a single Grand Slam tournament, he joined Novak Djokovic at the top of the all-time ATP World Tour Masters 1000 title leaders list, taking his haul to 30 with his triumphs at the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters and Mutua Madrid Open. He also won the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell title and reached three other finals, at the Australian Open, Miami Open presented by Itau (l. to Federer at both) and Abierto Mexicano Telcel in Acapulco.

Six-time champion Federer – winner of the Australian Open, BNP Paribas Open and Miami Open titles – is next in line to qualify for the Nitto ATP Finals and returns to action this week on grass at the MercedesCup in Stuttgart. Dominic Thiem stands third in the Emirates ATP Race to London, and is followed in the standings by Stan Wawrinka, Alexander Zverev, Djokovic and defending champion Andy Murray.

The Nitto ATP Finals welcomes more than 250,000 fans to The O2 arena each year, as well as generating a global TV viewership of more than 100 million, as the ATP’s best eight singles players and doubles teams compete over eight days at the biggest indoor tennis tournament in the world.

# # #
    About the Nitto ATP Finals

The Nitto ATP Finals is the year-end climax to the men's professional tennis season, featuring only the world's best eight qualified singles players and doubles teams as they battle it out for the last title of the season. Players compete for Emirates ATP Rankings points throughout the season in a bid to earn one of the eight coveted berths and a chance to win the biggest indoor tennis tournament in the world. Played using a round-robin format, each player plays three matches as they compete for a berth in the knockout semi-finals and beyond. The prestigious tournament has been contested in major cities around the world with a rich history dating back to the birth of The Masters in 1970 in Tokyo. Since 2000 the event has taken place in cities such as Lisbon, Sydney, and Shanghai. In 2009 the tournament was moved to London, where it will be played through 2020. For more information, please visitwww.NittoATPFinals.com

Re: 2017 ATP WTF 11/12 - 11/19

What is Nitto?

It appears to be a Japanese tire company
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    What is Nitto?
    Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    It appears to be a Japanese tire company
    See post #77

http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum...ncements/page6
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Thanks - I only skim read that through the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    Thanks - I only skim read that through the first time.
    NP
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

After reading their spin in that article on what they do as a company, I googled them, and it appears that if it's poisonous, they make it (including tires).
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    After reading their spin in that article on what they do as a company, I googled them, and it appears that if it's poisonous, they make it (including tires).
    Neat-Oh

17 July 2017

FEDERER TO MAKE RECORD 15TH APPEARANCE AT NITTO ATP FINALS

LONDON – Six-time champion Roger Federer, the most successful player in the history of the season finale, has qualified for the Nitto ATP Finals for a 15th time. The 35-year-old Swiss clinched his place alongside Rafael Nadal in the elite eight-man field by winning a record eighth Wimbledon title on Sunday, and will return to London from 12-19 November to compete at The O2.

“I look forward to returning to London in November,” said Federer. “I was sad not to be able to compete last year as I love playing there and had not missed the event since 2002.”

Federer made a record 14 straight appearances at the prestigious season-ending tournament from 2002-15, compiling a 52-12 match record with titles in 2003-04, 2006-07, 2010-11. He also reached the final on four other occasions, finishing runner-up to David Nalbandian in 2005 and to Novak Djokovic in 2012, ’14-15.

More than 13 years after he first ascended to World No. 1, Federer is back to challenging for the top spot in the Emirates ATP Rankings. After sitting out the last six months of the 2016 season, Federer made his comeback by defeating four Top 10 players – including five-sets victories over Stan Wawrinka and Nadal respectively in the semi-finals and final – en route to the Australian Open crown. He swept the March Masters, winning back-to-back ATP World Tour Masters 1000 titles at the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells (d. Wawrinka) and the Miami Open presented by Itaϊ (d. Nadal). Ahead of Wimbledon, Federer lifted his ninth Gerry Weber Open trophy in Halle, recording his 1100th match win during his title run (second to only Jimmy Connors with 1256 match wins).

With his runner-up finish at Wimbledon, two-time qualifier Marin Cilic boosts his Nitto ATP Finals bid, climbing six spots to No. 5 in the Emirates ATP Race to London. Dominic Thiem and Stan Wawrinka are next in line to qualify, while Alexander Zverev, five-time winner Djokovic and defending champion Andy Murray round out the top eight.

Poland’s Lukasz Kubot and Marcelo Melo of Brazil also became the first doubles team to qualify for the season finale, having gone unbeaten (14-0 match record) in three grass-court tournaments – the Ricoh Open in ‘s-Hertogenbosch (d. Klaasen/Ram), Halle (d. Zverev/Zverev) and with their first major title at Wimbledon (d. Marach/Pavic). Melo, individually, returned today for his third stint at No. 1 in the Emirates ATP Doubles Rankings.

The Nitto ATP Finals welcomes more than 250,000 fans to The O2 arena each year, as well as generating a global TV viewership of more than 100 million, as the ATP’s best eight singles players and doubles teams compete over eight days at the biggest indoor tennis tournament in the world.

# # #

About the Nitto ATP Finals

The Nitto ATP Finals is the year-end climax to the men's professional tennis season, featuring only the world's best eight qualified singles players and doubles teams as they battle it out for the last title of the season. Players compete for Emirates ATP Rankings points throughout the season in a bid to earn one of the eight coveted berths and a chance to win the biggest indoor tennis tournament in the world. Played using a round-robin format, each player plays three matches as they compete for a berth in the knockout semi-finals and beyond. The prestigious tournament has been contested in major cities around the world with a rich history dating back to the birth of The Masters in 1970 in Tokyo. Since 2000 the event has taken place in cities such as Lisbon, Sydney, and Shanghai. In 2009 the tournament was moved to London, where it will be played through 2020. For more information, please visit www.NittoATPFinals.com

Stuart Fraser‏Verified account @stu_fraser 2m2 minutes ago
    More
    The top ten players (not counting those sidelined) in the Race to London...

With so many people out, a rando win at Paris or Shanghai can put just about anybody in contention.

That's way more likely than normal, especially with Nadal and Federer probably banged up.

Maybe Thiem will snag his first Masters in Shanghai. Or, heck, Sugita. Or Zverev the Elder.

Stuart Fraser‏Verified account @stu_fraser 2m2 minutes ago
    More
    The top ten players (not counting those sidelined) in the Race to London...

Translation:
    Zeus
    Odin
    Calliope
    Terpsichore
    Hebe
    Eros
    Moirae
    Erynes

First subs:
    Eires
    Dione

Kind of like it feels...
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Translation:
    Zeus
    Odin
    Calliope
    Terpsichore
    Hebe
    Eros
    Moirae
    Erynes

First subs:
    Eires
    Dione

Kind of like it feels...
    Kind of feels like Nadal should Odin and Federer should be Zeus, don't you think?

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast