Agree Agree:  10
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Update on our RPBs

(THE FIRST 2 PARAGRAPHS ARE FOR MEMBERS WHO DON'T KNOW WHAT OUR RPBs ARE FOR.)

For those who are unaware, RPB stands for Recent Post Bar. They are the list of threads in the side columns of our forum pages. They list recent threads and indicate if those threads have new posts since your last visit. The RPBs have been an integral part of our forum for more than 10 years, and are used heavily by our members to easily keep up to date on threads they may be following.

It used to be that if there were no new posts in a thread since you last read the thread, the thread title would be displayed in regular type. If there were new posts in a thread since you last read it, the thread title would be bold and clicking on the link with this image - - would take you to the first new post since you last read that thread.

::

The functionality of the RPBs was severely damaged last week when a forum update was applied. They no longer correctly indicate if a thread has new posts in it since you last read it. It appears as though threads with bold titles and the First New Post link are still correct, but they don't change once you've caught up on the thread. In addition, it appears that some thread titles that should indicate new posts doesn't do so.

In a word, they're "broken."

I've learned what the forum update did to break the RPBs. Unfortunately I'm not confident they can be fixed. The software that creates/updates the RPBs is very old, has not been updated since 2014, and is no longer supported. Having said that, there is another option available that, after a little research, I believe will give us the same functionality. They will look different, but they should work, basically, the same.

Nothing will be done about our RPB issue until after the French Open. I don't want to risk breaking anything else while a Suicide Pool is running.

I'll update this thread as more information becomes available.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Re: Update on our RPBs

Also, since I didn't see it mentioned, if you click "Mark Forums Read" from the "New Posts" option, it will remove the bold in the RPB's. Better than nothing

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    Also, since I didn't see it mentioned, if you click "Mark Forums Read" from the "New Posts" option, it will remove the bold in the RPB's. Better than nothing
    Oh, good tip! Thanks for that.

Which reminds me, if you click on "New Posts" at the top-left under the "What's New" button, you'll be taken to a page that acts like one giant RPB that works correctly. Not as convenient as having them on every page, but still a good option.

I use both Whats New and Forums Read and they work well considering the situation
    2017 & 2018 Australian Open Champions

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Here's the plan. After the French Open (I'm not sure how long after the FO, I'm still trying to figure something out) I'm going to remove our broken RPBs and replace them with different RPBs that should work -- they'll be different but they should work. Then I'll leave it up to you all if we keep the new RPBs or go back to these broken RPBs.

Personally I've gotten used to the fact that these broken ones still correctly link to the First New Post in a thread. It's only the Bold/Non-bold indicator that's not working.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Hmm. I'm not initially sold on these. Having the separate contests RPB was nice, and it's a little bothersome to not have them when viewing a thread. Typically I'd navigate directly from one thread to another with the RPB links.
    I disapprove of this message

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Our new (different) RPBs are online. There are several differences:

Clicking on the thread title will take you to the first unread post in that thread. If there are no unread posts since your last visit to the thread, clicking the title will take you to the last post in the thread. There is no indicator if a thread has new unread posts in it, like there was on our old RPBs.

These RPBs take up less vertical space per thread so I believe we can have a separate contests RPB. (I'll be making adjustments as I'm still learning how to set them up.)

There is a modification available that will display these new RPBs on all forum pages. But I don't want to install it unless I'm pretty sure we're going to stick with these new RPBs (not that we have a lot of options at this point).

There are also several other options available with these new RPBs that I need to research to see what else they offer.

=============================================
    CLICKING ON THIS WILL COLLAPSE THE ENTIRE SIDE BAR:

=================================================
    CLICKING ON THESE WILL COLLAPSE THE ASSOCIATED RPB SECTION:

=================================================
    CLICKING ON THE "New Posts" LINK IN THE NAVIGATION BAR WILL
    TAKE YOU TO A PAGE THAT WILL LIST ALL THREADS WITH NEW
    POSTS SINCE YOUR LAST VISIT, INCLUDING THE LINK BUTTON ( )
    TO GO DIRECTLY TO THE FIRST NEW POST:

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Attractive

I know you will notice this but once you go to one thread (any thread) the RPB directory to the RIGHT of the thread disappears, so if you want to continue to navigate you need to keep coming back to the FORUM link to see the RPB's again.
    Sorry to be a jerk as I know you are working hard on this.
    Last edited by ponchi101; 06-14-2017 at 12:12 PM.
    Missing winter...

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

I'm sure there is a code for that too. Poor Kirk

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Confession: Several days before the start of the French Open Suicide Pool I received a notice that Facebook had changed the way websites connect to their user database in order to allow login using Facebook credentials. Apparently this is something they do frequently and vBulletin, the forum software we use, were no longer going to jump through those hoops to keep the forum software updated. They were going to provide one more update to fix the issue that Facebook created but only one more. Because we have many SP players whose TAT accounts use Facebook to login, and because we were only a few days away from the FOSP, I quickly applied the update to our forum so those members would be able to login and play the SP. Unfortunately the update that fixed Facebook Connect also broke our RPBs. I always always always test updates on a duplicate TAT that I run at home before applying it to this live TAT. This time, due to the short time before the FOSP, I did not have time to test the update first. Even if I had, I'm not sure I would've caught the broken RPBs. The software that creates the old/broken RPBs has not been supported for several years. I've reached out to several support forums looking for a fix but haven't been able to find one. That's why we are where we are.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    I know you will notice this but once you go to one thread (any thread) the RPB directory to the RIGHT of the thread disappears, so if you want to continue to navigate you need to keep coming back to the FORUM link to see the RPB's again.
    Sorry to be a jerk as I know you are working hard on this.

There is a modification available that will display these new RPBs on all forum pages. But I don't want to install it unless I'm pretty sure we're going to stick with these new RPBs (not that we have a lot of options at this point).

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I can see that the RPBs being only on the main forum page is going to be unpopular. My next project will be getting it on all pages.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Quick Words Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    I can see that the RPBs being only on the main forum page is going to be unpopular. My next project will be getting it on all pages.
    In the meantime, right clicking on the thread and opening it in a new tab is a workable solution. Navigating the Kiva website forced me into be a notorious right clicker. In fact, I often catch myself right-clicking on sites where I don't need to.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    In the meantime, right clicking on the thread and opening it in a new tab is a workable solution. Navigating the Kiva website forced me into be a notorious right clicker. In fact, I often catch myself right-clicking on sites where I don't need to.
    Right!?

I'm a habitual right-clicker too. I also open page in a new tab like it's no one's business. I'd rather do that than use the back button.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast