Agree Agree:  22
Likes Likes:  22
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Re: Figure Skating - 2017

Kolyada from Russia was third with 282.00
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just now watched the women's free skate. Zagitova is something pretty special. At only 15 years of age, she may be the most musical skater I have ever seen. And when I say musical, I'm referring to the degree to which her key elements are timed with the music with pinpoint accuracy. With many skaters, that kind of musicality usually only occurs during a step sequence. But for her, her jumps are landed to match the music. Even her spins were timed with the music.

It was pretty incredible, even with some minor booboos.

Injured Olympic champ Hanyu still unable to practice
    KYODO
    DEC 10, 2017

Defending world and Olympic men’s figure skating champion Yuzuru Hanyu has yet to return to the ice after suffering an injury that forced him out of last month’s NHK Trophy, Japan Skating Federation director Yoshiko Kobayashi revealed Sunday.

According to Kobayashi, Hanyu is still feeling the effects of a right knee injury sustained during practice on Nov. 9, casting doubts over his participation at the upcoming national championships.

Kobayashi said Hanyu told her his condition has improved, but that he has not trained on the ice at his base in Toronto because he is still experiencing soreness in the knee.

He said he is undergoing treatment and rehabilitation.

Although the Dec. 21-24 national championships in Tokyo serve as a qualifier for February’s Pyeongchang Olympics, Hanyu is virtually guaranteed to represent Japan at the games, having met the selection criteria through his No. 1 world ranking and other results.

“It is an important selection competition, and the Olympics are a big goal, so with that in mind we would like to think things through together,” Kobayashi said when asked about Hanyu appearing at nationals

Hanyu fell while attempting a quad lutz during official practice for the NHK Trophy, the fourth event of the Grand Prix Series, injuring the lateral collateral ligament in his right knee and also hurting his right ankle.

He said on Nov. 12 that he would need 10 days of complete rest in order to regain fitness in time for the nationals.

“I have been told by the doctor that I need 10 days of complete rest,” Hanyu said through the JSF. “Following that, it will take three to four weeks to return and get back to where I was (physically).”

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/.../#.Wi7EC2SpktE
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Okay to post in here for 2018? Because I'm watching the US Figure Skating Championships right now on NBC, and I haven't kept up with figure skating like I once did as I've mentioned before and haven't watched much of anything this season that wasn't posted here. What's with this technical score on screen thing? Brand new for these championships or something that's become standard? Maybe I need to just get used to it, but my initial impression is that I'm not a fan and can we just focus on the skate? They've already whittled this down too much into a technical competition, they don't need to do even more to take away from focusing on the artistry of the program.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Okay to post in here for 2018? Because I'm watching the US Figure Skating Championships right now on NBC, and I haven't kept up with figure skating like I once did as I've mentioned before and haven't watched much of anything this season that wasn't posted here. What's with this technical score on screen thing? Brand new for these championships or something that's become standard? Maybe I need to just get used to it, but my initial impression is that I'm not a fan and can we just focus on the skate? They've already whittled this down too much into a technical competition, they don't need to do even more to take away from focusing on the artistry of the program.
    It's been there for awhile now. It is distracting but somehow I don't think it's going away.

Thank goodness for no nonsense with naming the team this year.

From US Figure Skating on Facebook and Twitter :

We are proud to nominate Bradie Tennell, Mirai Nagasu and Karen Chen to the U.S. #WinterOlympics Ladies Figure Skating Team.

DS3A_xCU8AAaoNT.jpg

I was out all afternoon and could only sneak peaks at Twitter to see what was going on with the Nationals. There were quite a few people who are still smarting about how Mirai was treated last Olympic go around. There are quite a few people who feel Bradie Tennell's scores shouldn't have been as high as they were. And no one missed the irony of Ashley Wagner going as an alternate.

There was also a lot of talk about Jason Brown's scores.

Anyone here see any of this?

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    There was also a lot of talk about Jason Brown's scores.

Anyone here see any of this?
    If I remember correctly, Jason two-footed and under-rotated a landing in the short program, but it was fully credited. Had it been downgraded appropriately, he would have gone into tonight's free skate in fifth rather than third.

[Spoiler: Not that it matters at this point. I don't envy those who have to decide which guys actually get to compete in the Olympics. It's messy. Very, very messy.]

They screwed Ross Miner after that amazing performance last night. He's going as the second alternate, not even the first. It's Nathan Chen, Adam Rippon and Vincent Zhou as the US men's team with Jason Brown as the first alternate. So, they didn't learn anything from 4 years ago and this is worse. To replace the silver medalist who gave an amazing performance is so much worse. They clearly don't give a damn about Nationals anymore and no longer think of it as Olympic Trials and they should be way more upfront about this in the future because they've been acting like this holds more weight than everything else when it can't. Replacing the #2 with the guy who fell on his quad and popped 2 triples means you don't care about Nationals and naming the silver medalist as the second alternate in favor of Jason as the first, who I love but who had a ton of mistakes last night, further emphasizes that point.

Why put the skaters through the stress of preparing when you've already decided who you're going to choose? It's really not fair.

Media Relations
    Awards Showcase

2018 European Championships in progress from Moscow, Russia.

Men's and Pairs Short Programs yesterday, tonight will be Ladies Short then Pairs Free.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/se...2018/index.htm

Media Relations
    Awards Showcase

Men's FS has just started, see link above

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Do we know which Russian skaters have been/will be cleared to compete in Pyongchang?

I'm guessing they would NOT be allowed to compete as Russia in the new team event?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567