Agree Agree:  22
Likes Likes:  22
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Figure Skating - 2017

Canadian Ladies made history for Canada by landing two ladies on the Worlds Podium.
    Kaetlyn Osmond - Short Program

Gabrielle Daleman - World Bronze Medalist

Javier Fernandez - missed the podium this year but his short program was the best.

Shoma Uno - World Silver Medalist

Boyang Jin - World Bronze Medalist - the Opening 4Lz is jaw-dropping.

World Champions Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir - Short Dance

Madison Hubbell/Zachary Donohue - Short Dance - they were 3rd after the short.

Gabriella Papadakis/Guillaume Cizeron - World Silver Medalists - World Record Score in the Free Dance

Media Relations
    Awards Showcase

This young lady (Medvedova) was clearly the outstanding skater amongst the ladies, just as Hanyu was in the men's competition. I may have had the advantage of watching her performance w/o audio -- just enjoying the skate itself -- WOW.

3-time world figure skating champ Mao Asada is retiring
    1:17 PM ET
    Associated Press

TOKYO -- Japanese figure skater Mao Asada is retiring.

The 26-year-old Asada, the three-time world champion, says she lost her motivation after underperforming last season.

She noted her best performances were in 2014, when she won her third world title and finished sixth at the Sochi Olympics.

"If I had ended my career then, I might still have had a desire to return to skating today," she wrote in her blog. "After returning to compete, however, I wasn't able to perform or achieve results the way I had hoped, and I was often distressed."

After Sochi, she took a year off and returned to competition in 2015. She finished a career-low 12th at a national championship last December.

"After that the goal that had driven me had disappeared, and I lost my motivation to continue as a skater," Asada wrote.

Asada started skating at age 5. Excelling at the triple axel, she won her first world title in 2008, and second in 2010.

She was the silver medalist at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics.

She says she has no regrets.

"I want to find new dreams and goals and move on, with a smile on my face," she wrote.

http://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_...o-asada-retire
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Mao got hit with a lot of things all at once including her mother's death and an unsuccessful coaching arrangement. Still, she accomplished a lot.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

IMHO, Mao Asada could have, and should have, been the Olympic Champion at the Turin Olympics in 2006. I believe she was the best skater in the world at that time. She was not allowed to compete because she was "too young" according to some rule.
    Here's an old article that explains it pretty well.
    http://old.chronicle.augusta.com/sto...th_25324.shtml
    "A friend knows how to allow for mere quantity in your talk, and will only reply to the quality." William Dean Howells

Brutal commentary on the state of US women skaters.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BS34w8Llvzo/

Media Relations
    Awards Showcase

where is this World Team Trophy being held, please?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast