Agree Agree:  5
Likes Likes:  21
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: 2017 IW/Miami Suicide Pool: Loser's Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by texasniteowl View Post
    It is not looking good for the 3 of us who picked Kasatkina. She is down 0-4 in the 1st.
    Is Kasatkina even, well, there?
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Well, Kasatkina did finally win 3 games.

That will teach me to change my first choice. (I had Pavy down first.)

I had a bad feeling almost every matchup I considered for today on the women's side today, so not surprised at the loss. There were surprising H2H and not a ton of recent play that made it more difficult than it should have been. Oh well. Still in on the men's side. Not for long I'm sure.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by texasniteowl View Post
    Well, Kasatkina did finally win 3 games.
    But that's the thing... If you get bageled in the opening set and you have three people's hopes on you for a suicide pool, even a practice one, you do the moral thing... You take the double bagel or retire citing Sharapovawildcarditis Fatigue Syndrome.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

We actually had a No Pick in the women's pool, so we are down to three people. Today we have two Svitolinas and a Kuznetsova.

Rats..undefeated and forgot to make a Sunday pick..that stings especially when the deadline time is at a reasonable hour..boo me

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bmoney3 View Post
    Rats..undefeated and forgot to make a Sunday pick..that stings especially when the deadline time is at a reasonable hour..boo me
    I know this is no comfort to you, but I'm actually glad you just plain forgot to pick. I was totally blindsided by the time change in most of the U.S. that moved everything forward an hour. Had I known that was happening, I would have tried to warn folks. But I only discovered it myself shortly before it was time to close threads.

My fear was that you may not have known about the time change and actually thought you had another hour to make picks. So for selfish reasons, I'm glad you just plain forgot.

Be sure to come back for the Miami practice pool!

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

I was going to make fun of you for forgetting Dry...but there was one year when we were travelling through the states in the Fall. We had tickets to an NFL game but were stunned when we showed up for what we thought was an hour before the game to find a nearly empty stadium. Took us almost that full hour before we figured out it was the night clocks went back. In my defense we were in a different country and 2 time zones

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Damn it. Kuznetsova won. Which means I have to do a Day 6 thread. Will you all just up and lose already? this is getting annoying.

I wonder what would happen if you didn't make a thread for the next day - would people go ahead and pick anyway?

I feel like we're headed for a new a version of the 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas?' But it's 'How Dry stole the suicide pool?'
    Last edited by skatingfan; 03-12-2017 at 04:59 PM.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    I wonder what would happen if you didn't make a thread for the next day - would people go ahead and pick anyway?

I feel like we're headed for a new a version of the 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas?' But it's 'How Dry stole the suicide pool?'
    People really could do it by themselves, and as serious as people are about the pools, it would probably work pretty well. You'd just need one person with enough gumption to start the thread. And then others would follow.

Though eventually I'd see it, delete the thread, and claim the picks never existed. I can do that now in the age of alternative facts.

We are dead, all dead.
    Ponchi says that and his player grants a walkover. I am totally willing to concede defeat now because I am laughing heartily at this.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fastbackss View Post
    Ponchi says that and his player grants a walkover. I am totally willing to concede defeat now because I am laughing heartily at this.
    As if that quarter of the draw wasn't horrific enough...

The nice thing about your player being a wuzz an not taking the court is that he then can't pull a frigging Berdych against the smallest possible pokemon ever.
    Missing winter...

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

So, things are starting to wind down in both pools.

Between the Berdych and Pospisil losses, combined with Bautista-Agut not even taking the court, the men's pool is down to three players. Miles has Goffin (he just won the first set) while nelslus and I have the ever-reliable Fabio Fognini who has yet to take the court. (I seriously toyed with choosing No Pick.)

In the women's pool, dave g is safely through to pick again thanks to Vesnina, while nelslus and fastbackss are waiting for a Radwanska win. Unfortunately, she lost the first set. We COULD have a winner in the women's pool tonight.

Meanwhile, a shout out to nelslus for being the person to last the longest in both pools... And our hearts go out to tenor...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast