Agree Agree:  979
Likes Likes:  706
Page 330 of 330 FirstFirst ... 80230280305320326327328329330
Results 4,936 to 4,943 of 4943

Re: A Chronicle of our Descent to Hades

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Why am I having problems with the concept of "the saner heads in the GOP"? Why do I draw a blank after Mitt Romney? Why does the concept of "compassionate Nazis" keeps popping up in my brain?
    (Not mocking you, Ti, but I really can't see many sane GOP'ers. John Kasich, is he still one?)
    What about the governors? Hogan, DeWine, Scott (not the ex-FL governor but the current VT one), Sununu, Baker. Governors have been gathering more power and influence during this crisis, so maybe they'll have a greater say in the direction of the party.
    Go Pack Go!

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Why am I having problems with the concept of "the saner heads in the GOP"? Why do I draw a blank after Mitt Romney? Why does the concept of "compassionate Nazis" keeps popping up in my brain?
    (Not mocking you, Ti, but I really can't see many sane GOP'ers. John Kasich, is he still one?)
    Well, at the moment, the governor of Maryland, Larry Hogan, would certainly seem to qualify.
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

"Saner" is, of course, the comparative form of the adjective, so it is only a relative term, such as "Boris Johnson is saner than Trump".

Romney is only "saner" in that relative sense. I'm a long way from being a fan of his, though he has had moments that show him to be better than most of the Republican Senators.

I do agree that there are/have been some governors that are almost sane. Kasich was definitely one, and I lived in Ohio through most of his governorship. While I disagree with a whole lot of his basic values, it was not painful having him as a governor, and now we have DeWine, about whom I could have written the same thought.

Of the others, Hogan has been the most impressive to me.

GH

I agree about Hogan. Let's see how long he stays off of Tiny's radar.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

I think by "saner" we can say "relatively pragmatic long-term thinkers." Like Bill Kristol can be a dick and some of his opinions are vile, but you can have a conversation with him without tearing your hair out.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    I think by "saner" we can say "relatively pragmatic long-term thinkers." Like Bill Kristol can be a dick and some of his opinions are vile, but you can have a conversation with him without tearing your hair out.
    The same with Jennifer Rubin. Isn't Nicolle Wallace a Republican too?
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

I guess it would be kind of people who write for National Review instead of Breitbart.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    The same with Jennifer Rubin. Isn't Nicolle Wallace a Republican too?
    There are a lot of FORMER Republicans. Wallace indeed, Michael Steele, a few more. But if for you to qualify as a sane republican you have to leave the party, well, I guess my case would hold.
    (Which it doesn't. You guys have provided several other examples).
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Page 330 of 330 FirstFirst ... 80230280305320326327328329330