Agree Agree:  992
Likes Likes:  719
Page 329 of 334 FirstFirst ... 79229279304319325326327328329330331332333 ... LastLast
Results 4,921 to 4,935 of 5008

Re: A Chronicle of our Descent to Hades

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    I think this belongs mostly to good news, doesn't it? If there really is a vaccine out of this programm some garden variety of corruption will be irrelevant. I looked up that company, seems to be a spin off from Harvard with several professors among the founders.
    I thought we were smart enough to keep two non-related facts simultaneously in our heads. The fact that the speed at which the vaccine is being developed has nothing to do with the fact that (another) administration official is profiting, unethically, from that good news.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    I thought we were smart enough to keep two non-related facts simultaneously in our heads. The fact that the speed at which the vaccine is being developed has nothing to do with the fact that (another) administration official is profiting, unethically, from that good news.
    Well yes, we are. It's just that there seems to be a good reason for a stock price rise.
    Roger forever

Brendan Fischer
    @brendan_fischer

Weeks after Kelly Loeffler came under fire for dumping millions in stock following private coronavirus briefings, her husband gave $1M to Trump's super PAC. That appears to be his biggest contribution ever

Now we know why Burr got the FBI sicced on him and she didn't.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Eliza Relman
    @eliza_relman
    Trump's newly promoted 2020 campaign chief of staff was arrested in Oklahoma in 2016 and charged with conspiracy to violate state election laws after police seized her then-boyfriend's phone in a cocaine bust, @dsamuelsohn and @johnjcook report

Stephanie Alexander, the newly named chief of staff for the Trump campaign, in her 2016 booking photo after being arrested on campaign finance charges. Oklahoma County District Attorney

The Trump campaign's new chief of staff was arrested on campaign finance charges in 2016 after cops busted her boyfriend for cocaine and found incriminating texts on his phone
    Darren Samuelsohn and John Cook

Stephanie Alexander was named chief of staff of Donald Trump's re-election campaign on Tuesday.

In 2016, Alexander — then named Stephanie Milligan — was arrested in Oklahoma and charged with conspiracy to violate state campaign finance laws. The charges were later dropped, and the case was expunged last month at Alexander's request.

Prosecutors claimed that Milligan and several alleged co-conspirators illegally coordinated the efforts of a "dark money" independent group with the campaign of a GOP candidate for Oklahoma superintendent of public instruction.

The case relied in part on texts and emails recovered from Alexander's then-boyfriend, Chad Alexander, who was arrested for possession of cocaine in 2014, according to court records. The two are now married. Chad Alexander filed for bankruptcy in November, listing Stephanie as a "co-debtor." He owed more than $250,000 to the IRS.

Prosecutors dropped the case against Stephanie without explanation in 2017, saying that the investigation would continue.

The Trump campaign says Alexander is "a campaign professional and continues to be a valued member of the team."

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...lations-2020-5

Erik Halvorsen
    @erikhalvorsen18
    Replying to @eliza_relman @dsamuelsohn and @johnjcook
    Which is weird since trump’s 2016 Oklahoma campaign chair was jailed for child sex trafficking

https://nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/...icking-n822461 #DemCast

"Agree with this post"....what I want to keep agreeing with is Ti's quote at the bottom: "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."

The Oklahoma people just posted made me have that feeling yet again. GH

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

"Only the best people."

Graham urges senior judges to step aside before November election so Republicans can fill vacancies

By
    Felicia Sonmez
    May 28, 2020 at 12:45 p.m. EDT

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) on Thursday urged federal judges who are in their mid-to-late 60s to step aside so that Republicans, increasingly nervous about holding the Senate majority in the November election as they eye President Trump’s poll numbers, can fill the vacancies now.

Graham made the comments in an interview with conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt.

“This is an historic opportunity,” Graham said. “We’ve put over 200 federal judges on the bench. . . . If you can get four more years, I mean, it would change the judiciary for several generations. So if you’re a circuit judge in your mid-60s, late 60s, you can take senior status, now would be a good time to do that, if you want to make sure the judiciary is right of center.”

Depending on the number of years they have served on the bench, judges who are age 65 and older are eligible to take a reduced workload known as “senior status.”

During his more than three years in office, Trump has remade the federal judiciary, ensuring a conservative tilt for decades. Trump nominees made up 1 in 4 U.S. Circuit Court judges as of the end of 2019, and two of the president’s picks sit on the Supreme Court.

Trump made judicial appointments a key part of his pitch to conservative voters during the 2016 campaign, and as the November election approaches, he and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) have continued to emphasize the issue.

Trump is likely to face presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden in November.

In Thursday’s interview, Hewitt asked Graham whether he could assure judges who take senior status now that their successor “will indeed be confirmed before the election.”

“Well, if you wait, you know, November the 1st, no,” Graham said. “So do it now. . . . I need some time.”

Colby Itkowitz contributed to this report.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...d8d_story.html

The internal polling must be brutal.

But that won't matter if they indeed load the courts. In a country in which the final say is the Judicial branch, having that SCOTUS at 5-4 and then every other lower court staffed by sycophants of Tiny will mean that any law reverting gerrymandering, Equal Rights Amendments, of progressive laws being passed will fail.
    If the Dems capture both houses and the WH, the SCOTUS will always prevail. It will be four years of the courts turning down every single law approved by them.

What would SCOTUS do if the president and Congress/Senate were to ignore some of their rulings?
    Roger forever

Or if the Dems succeed in doing what FDR couldn't and add two seats to the Supreme Court if they control the Executive and Congressional branches of government?

You set the precedent for the next time the GOP holds power (and they will, eventually). The SCOTUS becomes a joke (Suliso's point), and next time the GOP holds the WH and the Senate they will put 4 new justices, to make sure (Ti's point).
    Tricky situation.

Let's hope the saner heads in the GOP do a thorough house cleaning if they're out of power for eight years and root out the criminal element Tiny has brought in and the Dems have a chance to appoint justices that aren't beholden to a criminal enterprise.

Why am I having problems with the concept of "the saner heads in the GOP"? Why do I draw a blank after Mitt Romney? Why does the concept of "compassionate Nazis" keeps popping up in my brain?
    (Not mocking you, Ti, but I really can't see many sane GOP'ers. John Kasich, is he still one?)

Page 329 of 334 FirstFirst ... 79229279304319325326327328329330331332333 ... LastLast