Page 317 of 317 FirstFirst ... 67217267292307313314315316317
Results 4,741 to 4,753 of 4753
    Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: A Chronicle of our Descent to Hades

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    You both are living deep in the Trump country, aren't you?
    Definitely. But around here the support for 45 is already much more pervasive, visible, and in-your-face than even at the height of the 2016 election season.

I find small hope in one property--one of the first houses on the right between Shade Gap and Orbisonia--that had both a Trump/Pence sign and a Drain the Swamp sign early in the 2016 season. They have nothing up yet.

BTW, there is a really good ad I see a few times each morning while watching Harrisburg news (the local FOX affiliate, no less).

Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Very well done ad.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Yes....Here, we have a Freedom Caucus Republican Congressman who seems barely literate, but will be re-elected as long as he chooses. In our county (we are not in the same county as Dayton) Democrats need not apply to run for any office. We have no county-wide elected Democrats at present.

GH

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    I drove to Shirleysburg this afternoon. I am mortified to report there are more Trump/Pence signs up than around election time in 2016.

I can also report that the Trump flags (not Trump/Pence flags) are becoming more numerous. I counted 5 today--3 more than the last time I posted about it several months ago. I guess it's a bent status symbol.
    Interesting. There's not many signs up in general around here just yet. I'd assume we won't see a ton of visible Idiot support again nearby and need to go out about 45 minutes before I see anything with regularity, but truly not sure, people are definitely more bold than they were 4 years ago. Still I think it won't be much nearby.

BUT, in a neighboring, less diverse county about 20 minutes away, a brand new Idiot store opened in a strip mall selling offensive merchandise (seriously, it's vile) and they swear they are doing a bang up business. They are trying to open a second location near me, which would seem to suggest they know there's plenty of customers nearby. Or maybe that's an incorrect assumption and they just want the foot traffic from such a popular mall?

So, I'm not seeing anything right now besides a bumper sticker here and there and just one MAGA hat. But people must be buying up his crap and it can't all be people living on the outskirts of the region. For the opening it was clear that people drove a distance to buy stuff, but that can't be the norm, right? Do they buy it to support, but not wear it or display it in their yards? Is it just too early in the year and they are saving it for the general election?

Adding a bit to the discussion about the fact that both Dry and I live in Trump country. Just this afternoon I learned that, in our Congressional district, registered Republicans outnumber registered Democrats 4:1. It won't matter if a few of them get a conscience between now and November. No Democrat would have a chance against our worthless Congressman.

And yes, I still can't believe I live in a place this red. A decade ago I said many times I would never do so.

GH

Glenn, I'm sorry to ask because you likely already told us many times before. But what was the ratio of Dems to GOP when you moved there? And is where you live an old steel or coal town?

Jazz, I moved here because my partner (with whom I had had a long-distance relationship for years) had lived and worked here for 35 years. I really only moved here after I hiked the Appalachian Trail, therefore, in the autumn of 2013. Living with him has been wonderful, but we are surrounded by people who are about as different from us as it is possible to be. I'm afraid yesterday is the first time I knew the ratio of Dems to GOP as a number. It has always been abundantly clear that the number of Republicans was far, far higher, and that was always obvious in election results as well.

Dayton had major car manufacturing and other industries in the past, much less so now, of course (see the Oscar winner in Feature-Length Documentaries this year: "American Factory"). The major industry now is Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. It always was huge for this area, but now it pretty much stands alone as the one big "industry". The few remaining factories are rather insignificant. The county we live in is all about agriculture, as are all of the counties north and west of here for many, many miles to the Indiana and Michigan borders.

But Dayton itself is not a good way to look at the demographics of exactly where we live, because Montgomery County is fairly balanced between Republicans and Democrats and we aren't even close. By the way, the county just north of us is in another Congressional district. That one is represented by Jim Jordan who lives in that county specifically. His house is likely right at 20 miles from ours. Our Congressman, Warren Davidson, lives a fair distance from us, but in our district, of course. Due to the ridiculous gerrymandering of Ohio, we live very near one county line (probably no more than about 300 yards). That is in yet another district from us. If one goes due north, one crosses into Jim Jordan's county in about 12 miles. For rural districts, this is quite a bit of weirdness in a small area (I know 12 miles would cover several districts in a big city).

GH

That makes sense. I was wondering about the industry there because Ohio is very similar to Western PA in many respects and I wondered if there was a similar shift that has happened in some of the PA towns.

My mom is from a small town about an hour outside of Pittsburgh that used to be a steel town. It was a thriving small town at one point, I'm not even sure how it had as much going on as it did, but those days are long gone and the population has dwindled significantly from when she was growing up. It was a longtime Democratic stronghold especially because of the union support much like many other steel towns in Western PA, but in the last two decades as it has fallen on much harder times, it has gotten more and more GOP dominant. I don't know why that is, it's not like GOP is here to help out poor people, but that is what has happened. To the point that one of Idiot's main stops in 2016 in PA was there at the rebuilt steel mill that is now a metals factory. It was sickening to watch him there and make a ton of promises to them that you knew he was never going to keep. Some are angry and realize they were taken advantage of, but not enough from what I can tell.

Manu Raju
    @mkraju

Asked Pelosi if she thinks Trump should be tested after his interactions with Doug Collins and Matt Gaetz.
    Pelosi: “Tested for what?”
    me: coronavirus
    Pelosi: “Oh, I thought he should be tested for a long time now.”
    And she walked off

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1237154182118940672

Adam Parkhomenko
    @AdamParkhomenko

So at the same time Dr. Fauci was warning Congress that Coronavirus will get worse, our dip**** President was hate-tweeting at Vanity Fair.

They say that every US president has at least one major nonpolitical crisis on his hands during his administration. This is the first one for Trump and I don't see a clear sign of leadership.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    They say that every US president has at least one major nonpolitical crisis on his hands during his administration. This is the first one for Trump and I don't see a clear sign of leadership.
    We got a preview of how he handles crisis with Puerto Rico remember?

Now He's talking about addressing the nation. Why? Governors like Inslee, Hogan (Maryland) and Cuomo are doing what they can to protect the residents of their state. All he's going to do is announce a new tax cut package.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Live updates: WHO declares coronavirus a pandemic; White House considers moving all of Europe to restrictive travel advisory

2:51 p.m.
    First case in Ivory Coast as coronavirus cases in Africa grows

The Ivory Coast — the world’s biggest cocoa grower and the largest economy in Francophone West Africa — announced its first coronavirus case Wednesday. The country’s health ministry said the patient is a 45-year-old Ivorian man who had recently traveled in Italy, the Reuters news agency reported.

In total, eight sub-Saharan African countries have coronavirus cases, including South Africa, Congo, Senegal, Cameroon, Togo and Burkina Faso.

South Africa has the highest count, with 13 cases after it announced six new ones Wednesday.

Global health experts have warned that if and when the virus spreads more thoroughly throughout sub-Saharan Africa, many countries could be ill-equipped to cope due to already overstressed and under-resourced health-care systems.

Some countries on the continent, however, are taking creative preventive methods. Rwanda, for instance, has placed portable hand-washing sinks around the capital, Kigali, and mandated that all passengers on public buses wash their hands before boarding, Reuters reported.

By Miriam Berger

3:00 p.m.
    Trump official blames China for hiding extent of outbreak, worsening problem for rest of the world

national security adviser Robert C. O’Brien on Wednesday blamed China for hiding the extent of the coronavirus outbreak in that country and making the problem worse for the rest of the world.

Addressing the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank, O’Brien praised the Trump administration response but offered no details on the spread of the virus in the United States. He did joke twice about using good hand hygiene.

“The first thing I want to point out is that this virus did not originate in the United States. It originated in Wuhan, in Hubei Province in China. It originated some time ago,” O’Brien said. “Unfortunately, instead of using best practices, this outbreak in Wuhan was covered up."

Doctors were muzzled, he added.

“It probably cost the world community two months to respond,” O’Brien said. “And those two months, if we had had those and been able to sequence the virus and had the cooperation necessary from the Chinese, had a WHO team been on the ground, had a CDC team, which was offered, been on the ground, I think we could have dramatically curtailed what happened both in China and what’s happened across the world.”

O’Brien referred to the virus as “corona,” although Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has called it the “Wuhan virus,” and Trump this week retweeted a conservative commentator who called it the “China virus.”

“This is a complicated issue. Pandemics and epidemics are some of the greatest challenges we face as a country. I think we’ve done a good job responding to it,” O’Brien said. “But look, the way this started out in China, the way it was handled at the outset, was not right. It should have been handled differently."

By Anne Gearan

― Frank Zappa

Page 317 of 317 FirstFirst ... 67217267292307313314315316317