Agree Agree:  1,000
Likes Likes:  729
Page 330 of 336 FirstFirst ... 80230280305320326327328329330331332333334 ... LastLast
Results 4,936 to 4,950 of 5039

Re: A Chronicle of our Descent to Hades

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Why am I having problems with the concept of "the saner heads in the GOP"? Why do I draw a blank after Mitt Romney? Why does the concept of "compassionate Nazis" keeps popping up in my brain?
    (Not mocking you, Ti, but I really can't see many sane GOP'ers. John Kasich, is he still one?)
    What about the governors? Hogan, DeWine, Scott (not the ex-FL governor but the current VT one), Sununu, Baker. Governors have been gathering more power and influence during this crisis, so maybe they'll have a greater say in the direction of the party.
    Go Pack Go!

Why am I having problems with the concept of "the saner heads in the GOP"? Why do I draw a blank after Mitt Romney? Why does the concept of "compassionate Nazis" keeps popping up in my brain?
    (Not mocking you, Ti, but I really can't see many sane GOP'ers. John Kasich, is he still one?)
    Well, at the moment, the governor of Maryland, Larry Hogan, would certainly seem to qualify.
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

"Saner" is, of course, the comparative form of the adjective, so it is only a relative term, such as "Boris Johnson is saner than Trump".

Romney is only "saner" in that relative sense. I'm a long way from being a fan of his, though he has had moments that show him to be better than most of the Republican Senators.

I do agree that there are/have been some governors that are almost sane. Kasich was definitely one, and I lived in Ohio through most of his governorship. While I disagree with a whole lot of his basic values, it was not painful having him as a governor, and now we have DeWine, about whom I could have written the same thought.

Of the others, Hogan has been the most impressive to me.

GH

I agree about Hogan. Let's see how long he stays off of Tiny's radar.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

I think by "saner" we can say "relatively pragmatic long-term thinkers." Like Bill Kristol can be a dick and some of his opinions are vile, but you can have a conversation with him without tearing your hair out.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    I think by "saner" we can say "relatively pragmatic long-term thinkers." Like Bill Kristol can be a dick and some of his opinions are vile, but you can have a conversation with him without tearing your hair out.
    The same with Jennifer Rubin. Isn't Nicolle Wallace a Republican too?

I guess it would be kind of people who write for National Review instead of Breitbart.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    The same with Jennifer Rubin. Isn't Nicolle Wallace a Republican too?
    There are a lot of FORMER Republicans. Wallace indeed, Michael Steele, a few more. But if for you to qualify as a sane republican you have to leave the party, well, I guess my case would hold.
    (Which it doesn't. You guys have provided several other examples).
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

If there are any other sane heads in the GOP, they are also cowards. And this is from a Republican.
    My Suicide Draw Pool avatar

Ivanka Trump complains of 'cancel culture' after university cancels her speech
    WSU Tech stops first daughter’s commencement speech amid criticism of Donald Trump’s response to George Floyd protests

Guardian staff and agencies
    Sat 6 Jun 2020 13.58 BST

Ivanka Trump has hit out at “cancel culture and viewpoint discrimination” after plans for her to give a virtual commencement speech to students in Kansas were canceled amid criticism of Donald Trump’s response to anti-police brutality protests in the wake of the killing of George Floyd.

Administrators at Wichita State University and WSU Tech announced their decision just hours after they had said the US president’s daughter would be speaking to WSU Tech graduates. Administrators of both universities, which are affiliated, said Saturday’s graduation for the technical university would be “refocused” on students, with a nursing graduate as the only speaker.

The move clearly angered Ivanka Trump, who is a top adviser in the White House and whose husband, Jared Kushner, is one of the most influential figures in the Trump administration.

She responded in a tweet, saying: “Our nation’s campuses should be bastions of free speech. Cancel culture and viewpoint discrimination are antithetical to academia. Listening to one another is important now more than ever!”

She also released the video of the speech, in which she did not mention the Floyd protests but did acknowledge the challenges of graduating amid the coronavirus pandemic, which has cratered the US economy.

Seeking to reassure students now facing mass unemployment triggered by widespread shutdowns to curb the virus, the daughter of a New York real estate billionaire opined: “In my own life, I have found that my greatest personal growth has arisen from times of discomfort and uncertainty.”

The announcement of her speech drew immediate criticism, led by Jennifer Ray, an associate professor of photo media at Wichita State, who sent a letter asking school administrators to cancel it. It circulated on social media and garnered 488 signatures from faculty, students and alumni before the speech was canceled, the Wichita Eagle reported.

But others said the event should not have been canceled. Republican congressman Ron Estes said in a statement he was “disappointed” and added: “As Kansas faces many challenges recovering from the Covid-19 pandemic to get back to our booming economy, now is the time for us to be working together.”

Protests have broken out around the world since Floyd, who was black, died in Minneapolis after a white police officer pressed a knee on his neck for several minutes even after he stopped moving and pleading for air. Much of the response to the protests by American police has been brutal and acts of violence against demonstrators and media have been common.

Trump has refashioned his election campaign as a “law and order” president but came in for widespread condemnation after police attacked a peaceful protest in Washington in order to clear a path to have a photo op at a church, where he held aloft a Bible.

Ivanka Trump was part of the procession that made its way to the church and reportedly carried the Bible that her father used in her purse.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-kansas-speech

It's important, at a time like this, to focus on the true victims of anti-racism, the racist white rich people.

I would have let her speak. There is no way it would not have been a disaster. And then you could analyze the mentality.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

I would have let her speak. There is no way it would not have been a disaster. And then you could analyze the mentality.
    She posted a video of it online. Something about how she's found the tougher she's had it in life the more rewarding the outcome was or some such twaddle.

Here's the quote: #IvankaTrump: "I've found that my greatest personal growth has arisen from times of discomfort and uncertainty."

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    She posted a video of it online. Something about how she's found the tougher she's had it in life the more rewarding the outcome was or some such twaddle.

Here's the quote: #IvankaTrump: "I've found that my greatest personal growth has arisen from times of discomfort and uncertainty."
    Hey, Donald Trump is her father. I have no doubt that she has had a number of times where she felt discomfort and uncertainty as a result. Money fixes many things, but Trump as a father? There is no amount of cash that can fix that - maybe soothe the symptoms, but fix? That type of father can scar people for life. Granted, she doesn't have to worry about money or racism.
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

Page 330 of 336 FirstFirst ... 80230280305320326327328329330331332333334 ... LastLast