Agree Agree:  262
Likes Likes:  187
Page 119 of 119 FirstFirst ... 196994109115116117118119
Results 1,771 to 1,777 of 1777

Re: A Chronicle of our Descent to Hades

Our local newspaper carries op-eds by that Mona Charen creep. I read them sometimes. Today, her rant was about how Bill Clinton got off the hook for Monica Lewinsky and what all of the current sexual predators are doing is not any worse.

Correct me if I am wrong, but my view of Bill and Monica was that the acts that occurred were between 2 people of legal age and were totally consensual. Our country got totally off track arguing about it, when no one except Hillary should really have cared. (I understand the bit about lying under oath, but compared to the lies of most politicians (e.g. "weapons of mass destruction"), Clinton's lie about where he put his thing was harmless).

The current rash of accusations involve incredibly under-aged girls or boys, acts that were rape or bordered on rape, sex trafficking, etc., etc. How she equates that to Bill and Monica is beyond me.

GH

The GOP is incredibly dense at understanding when things are not equal, and they are fabulous at non-sequiturs. They can't follow logical paths to understand a problem. You are totally correct. Clinton/Lewinsky were grown ups, with legal consent. One could argue about the asymmetrical relationship between a man in power and a young woman under his position, but it is different.

I have been thinking recently about the lying part, though. There has been such a slippery slope in US public speech that I think you even have to go back and impeach REAGAN for lying (Iran Contra Scandal). Then Bush I for his (during the campaign, I get it) "No new taxes". Then Clinton for Lewinsky, Bush II for WMD lies and, I guess, Obama promised to close Gitmo. I wonder if people in such high positions should be held to moral standards MORE, not less.
    But back to your point: the GOP will never defend itself with proper arguments (or, even less likely, accept guilt). Their defense will always be that of a five-years old: "He started!"
    Terrible position in a world of grownups.
    Starry starry night

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Bill Clinton did not get off the hook. He was impeached. I believe he was also disbarred for lying.

Thanks for clarifying.
    Starry starry night

There seems to be a concerted effort being made to once again make Bill Clinton the boogeyman.

And in "non traditional entertainment media" there are attempts being made to tie him to some of the pedophilia rings that are coming to the surface.

I wonder what is going on behind the scenes and why R's are so afraid.
    "For the person that we know in the daytime, we don't need to light a lamp to see his face at night." Ghanaian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    Bill Clinton did not get off the hook. He was impeached. I believe he was also disbarred for lying.
    Agreed. So our come-back to Mona Charen should be that Clinton suffered excessively for something that wasn't even a crime to begin with (until the under-oath part).

Like some of our regulars, I've had occasions when I was looking at this country from the outside that were important moments in the world. One of the most memorable editorials I have ever read was in Stockholm's English language newspaper in 2003. It had just been coming out, with great emphasis in the European media, that GW Bush and his administration had clearly been lying about their degree of certainty/suspicion that Iraq had or was on the verge of having weapons of mass destruction. I was vacationing on the island of Gotland at the time. The title of the editorial was something like "What constitutes an important lie in the USA?" And the entire gist of the editorial was the unbelievably excessive attention that Bill Clinton's lies about Monica Lewinsky had gotten in the US; and, the amazing ease with which most of the US was glossing over the fact that our current president had told lies that had started a war, costing thousands of lives and billions of dollars. The editorialist emphasized that one of the lies hurt incredibly few people (again, maybe Hillary), and yet, that was the lie that Americans all seemed to care about. I've never felt more like someone really put the American people in the unfortunate perspective we have too often deserved.

GH

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Penguin Arcade Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Magic Towers Solitaire Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Trump Foundation is shutting down, except it can't while it is already under investigation.

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump...g-down-2017-11
    Become a Kiva lender and help people lift themselves out of poverty. To find loans that are safe, secular, and mostly short in term, go to the A+ Convenience Store at http://starfish.dynalias.org/starred...venience-store. Or, if you would like to support repeat borrowers with a proven track record of repayment, check out CraigsList at http://starfish.dynalias.org/starred/craigslist. Happy lending!

Page 119 of 119 FirstFirst ... 196994109115116117118119