Agree Agree:  1,096
Likes Likes:  785
Page 353 of 353 FirstFirst ... 103253303328343349350351352353
Results 5,281 to 5,287 of 5287

Re: A Chronicle of our Descent to Hades

There’s something that just doesn’t feel right about this. Joe Biden didn’t earn it, he didn’t really even campaign. He thought was going to lose, you could see it. He ran a losing campaign. So 10 days after the election, how’s he ahead? #WattersWords
    Roger forever

It is difficult to explain to people that have fallen under the adoration for a cult-figure how their "hero" is very repugnant to a lot of people. I lived it over and over in Venezuela. The people that were for Chavez (and I knew very few) could not accept explanations about how off-putting he was.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Nick Miroff
    @NickMiroff
    Unreal-- DHS says it temporarily put FEMA chief Peter Gaynor in charge of the department Nov 14 so he could change the order of succession to make Chad Wolf eligible for acting secretary job. Then Wolf re-issued all the orders that were under legal cloud

A reminder DHS was created in no small part to project stability and competence to an American public traumatized by 9/11. Under Trump the department has had 5 different leaders, only two confirmed by senate, and nearly all of its top jobs are filled by acting figures or vacant

Here's how DHS explains the making of the sausage: "Once Mr. Gaynor’s order was executed, it superseded any authority Mr. Gaynor may have had under the Federal Vacancy Reform Act and confirmed Acting Secretary Wolf’s authority to continue to serve as the Acting Secretary."

https://www.dhs.gov/publication/dhs-...olfs-authority
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Ricardo Duran Burner Flag of MexicoTurkey (bird)
    @Ricardohhhh
    I am crying.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1328737205867655168

"Poor Anthony" is trending on Twitter right now. Poor Anthony indeed. OAN?!

Here are President-elect Biden's candidates for Secretary of Education per the WaPo.

Secretary of Education
    Currently: Betsy Devos

Under Secretary Betsy DeVos, the Education Department has rolled back some civil rights protections as well as Obama-era efforts to hold for-profit colleges accountable for poor outcomes. She’s promoted alternatives to public schools and tried to slash federal funding for education. Biden is expected to reverse all of that, with more money for K-12 and higher education, new and revived civil rights protections and a focus on racial equity.

Biden has said he will name a public school educator as secretary of Education, a stab at DeVos, who had no experience with public schools. Many expect that to be someone from the K-12 world. Among those talked about for the job include a handful of big-city school superintendents, such as Sonja Santelises from Baltimore, Janice Jackson from Chicago or Seattle’s Denise Juneau.

POTENTIAL PICKS

Rep. Jahana Hayes (D)
    Congresswoman from Connecticut

Hayes, elected in 2018, is the first Black woman to represent Connecticut in Congress. She sits on the Committee on Education and Labor and has sponsored some higher education measures. Before that, she was the 2016 National Teacher of the Year.

Lily García
    Former head of the National Education Association

García recently stepped down as president of the National Education Association, the nation’s largest union. Before that, she was an elementary school teacher. She is friendly with incoming first lady Jill Biden, who is a community college teacher and member of the NEA.

Tony Thurmond
    California state superintendent

Thurmond is California’s state superintendent, where he has pushed for educational equity, a goal Biden shares. In 2018, the Los Angeles Times endorsed Thurmond, saying he has “an unwavering commitment to at-risk students and a deep understanding of the obstacles they face.”

Randi Weingarten
    Head of the American Federation of Teachers

Weingarten is president of the American Federation of Teachers, the second largest teacher union. She previously served as president of the union representing teachers in New York City, and was a high school teacher in Brooklyn. Nominating a labor leader could be seen as an affront to those who favor teacher evaluations and other test-based accountability measures.

Reported by Laura Meckler.

It's really hard to remember that he was once a highly competent man. He's charging a $20k/day base rate to the campaign for this.

Dan Zak
    @MrDanZak

Update from U.S. district court in Williamsport, Pa., one of the Trump campaign's last stands:

GIULIANI: “I’m not sure what 'opacity' means. It probably means you can see.”

JUDGE BRANN: “It means you can’t.”
    Last edited by JazzNU; 11-17-2020 at 05:17 PM.

Monica Alba @albamonica

Here’s the full joint statement that infuriated the president so much it led him to fire Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency Dir. Krebs (bolding theirs): “There is no evidence that any voting system deleted or lost votes, changed votes, or was in any way compromised.”

From the Shenanigans Folder:

Chris Megerian @ChrisMegerian (LATimes Reporter)

I noticed something strange on Twitter this morning, so I started poking around. Here’s what I found.
    It started with this tweet from the president, thanking his older sister for publicly supporting him.

So I clicked the link to the website run by conservative commentator Wayne Dupree to read the purported statement from Elizabeth. The article had this odd disclaimer at the top.

And then lower down, the article cites this tweet from an unverified account.

Did the president’s 78-year-old sister join Twitter this month?

The account tweets incessantly about cable news and disloyal Republicans

I’ve asked a spokesman for the Trump Organization whether this is actually the president’s sister.

But it appears that the president’s original tweet — thanking his sister for her support — was responding to a fake account that got picked up in the right-wing echo chamber.

Here’s the answer — it’s not really the president’s sister

So now we know that right-wing media circulated an unverified account purporting to be the president’s sister, and then the president himself shared the coverage rather than confirm that it was, in fact, his sister behind the tweets.

June Casagrande @JuneCasagrande
    Replying to
    @ChrisMegerian
    That's the same tactic the KGB used in the '80s to promote the lie that the USA developed HIV as a bio weapon. Plant a lie then launder it till people stop questioning its origin. Fascinating story, told in NYT "Operation Infektion" vid series.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/12/o...elections.html
    AJ has hope again with Biden-Harris @ResistsAj
    Replying to @ChrisMegerian and @NatashaBertrand
    He doesn't have a relationship with his sister. Read Mary Trump's book.
    Mrs. Betty Bowers @BettyBowers
    Replying to
    @ChrisMegerian
    It's so much easier to confuse a sibling about the identity of another sibling when those siblings don't know each other because they can't stand to be in the same room together.

Page 353 of 353 FirstFirst ... 103253303328343349350351352353