Agree Agree:  11
Likes Likes:  13
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: '17 Racquet Smashing Contest

ATP Halle - Benoit Paire gets warning, point penalty, and game penalty within 2 minutes

"Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

I saw Paire play Ferrer LIVE at RG 2012 in the bullring, 2nd round. He's a true asshole.

(Then I met three other TATers in Paris, and we had wine and cheese on a rooftop, watching the Eiffel Tower light up at night! Beautiful stuff.)

Still, I am always impressed when they can break a racket on grass. Even if he then flopped it by falling down, which was kind of "wimpy kid".
    Starry starry night

Based on our, uh, standards he would be winning if not for almost falling down.

I agree with ponchi. To get a result like that, on grass, is amazing.

I give it 9.0 only because he hit the trifecta, something no other entrant has done before.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

9 Dragons Hexa Champion, Magic Towers Solitaire Champion Scotty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Does anyone know: if Paire had gotten the game penalty when down 30-0, or sometime BEFORE losing the game with that return, if the score would only have been 3-0 for Mayer?

As it was, he hit the return practically out of the stadium to lose the game, THEN the ump gave him a game penalty, so Mayer ended up serving consecutively from both ends of the court. Serves him right, sez me.

I guess he got himself back together enough to win 4 games in the 2nd set.

What I don't understand: The match has just started, why freak out so early. Makes no sense to me, but then nothing ever does with Paire.

I'm with Oliver, you're losing your shit that badly after only TWO games?!

Notwithstanding, the destruction was important specially for the surface.

I'm seeing the fall in different light, not as a loss of technique, but that his fury is so unbridled that he can barely control his body and "composure". It averages out IMO.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Sascha did not go quietly.

Tennis TV‏Verified account @TennisTV 2h2 hours ago
    That frame is dead on arrival.

#ChinaOpen pic.twitter.com/N8eoEVdErM

I'd give that one an 9. He was fully extended and put all of his strength behind the toss and got great height on it. Nice work.

The pre-throw was a bit lacking in artistics, but the bounce was impressive. 8

Should we name this award? I vote for the Marat.

Sasha. I wish they would have let the GIF run and see if he caught it. That would have added a little magic to the smash.
    Marat had nothing on Goran. Too cute a guy to name this award after him. Goran at least looked like a guy that would score you dope in Zagreb.
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Sasha. I wish they would have let the GIF run and see if he caught it. That would have added a little magic to the smash.
    Marat had nothing on Goran. Too cute a guy to name this award after him. Goran at least looked like a guy that would score you dope in Zagreb.
    But Marat would show you a good time...

Ponchi he tried to catch it and couldn't. He continued his rampage on the sidelines slinging the destroyed racquet against the wall behind his seat.

I watched the end of the match on TennisTV. This happened just after he was broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Ponchi he tried to catch it and couldn't. He continued his rampage on the sidelines slinging the destroyed racquet against the wall behind his seat.

I watched the end of the match on TennisTV. This happened just after he was broken.
    Ahhh, I would've liked to see that. Clear influence of the Baghdatis school of impressionism. That might've taken it to a 9.

Tennis TV‏Verified account @TennisTV 53s53 seconds ago
    Big John boils over, Wawrinka-style ��

#erstebankopen pic.twitter.com/rkQj5rNAx5

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast