Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: WTA P Doha 2/13 - 2/18 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    I agree she can win this but that loss to Lucic as the AO also showed that her consistency still needs improving.
    And if she does it and becomes more consistant, watch out for a new #1
    I think she is next in line anyway...
    She is sitting at #3 today and playing someone who can take it from her this week, lil' Domi!
    That's something Karolina needs to do anyway, she needs to beat Domi, hasn't been able to do it yet.
    They are playing now, isn't that interesting? 1 all in the first.

Messy first set between Davis and Woz, had 7 breaks. Woz rallied there at the end and won the set 7-5
    Monica awaits the winner in the locker room.
    Last edited by Correspondent Kiu; 02-17-2017 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Correspondent Kiu View Post
    And if she does it and becomes more consistant, watch out for a new #1
    I think she is next in line anyway...
    She is sitting at #3 today and playing someone who can take it from her this week, lil' Domi!
    That's something Karolina needs to do anyway, she needs to beat Domi, hasn't been able to do it yet.
    They are playing now, isn't that interesting? 1 all in the first.

Messy first set between Davis and Woz, had 7 breaks. Woz rallied there at the end and won the set 7-5
    Monica awaits the winner in the locker room.

Pliskova was able to beat her in 3 today.

Woz beat Puig 1 and 2 to advance to finals.

Awwwweeee!

Karolina
    versus Caro

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 18, 2017

CENTRE COURT

TIME
    15:30 - OLGA SAVCHUK / YAROSLAVA SHVEDOVA (UKR / KAZ) V [4] ABIGAIL SPEARS / KATARINA SREBOTNIK (USA / SLO)
    18:00 - CAROLINE WOZNIACKI (DEN) V [2] KAROLINA PLISKOVA (CZE)
    "For the person that we know in the daytime, we don't need to light a lamp to see his face at night." Ghanaian Proverb

Karolina takes first set 6-3
    Caro fell behind 0-4 before taking those 3 games in a row, lost the last two.

Pliskova in control, ahead 2-1 in the second.

Right now BeIN, the only place to watch live women's tennis, is showing Real Madrid vs Espanyol. The match won't be shown live there until 12:30p Eastern. Tennis Twitter is reporting the App, which is supposed to be showing the match live, isn't working. Way to go WTA.
    "For the person that we know in the daytime, we don't need to light a lamp to see his face at night." Ghanaian Proverb

Anyone watching the Pliskova-Woz final? Interesting stuff. There are many times when Pliskova is absolutely unplayable. She's currently up 6-3 3-2, on serve. She went up 4-0 in the first set. She's not only moving well, but playing some really intelligent tennis. It's pretty remarkable that Wozniacki has been able to keep it this close.

It's now a race against the clock. You can tell that Pliskova is exhausted. She's starting to lose her newfound ability to bend her knees, and she's coming over the ball too quickly and slapping shots into the net. She's also missed a couple absolute sitters at the net in the last 10 minutes. Wozniacki just needs to cling for dear life and get this into a third set.

Pliskova could close this out in ten minutes, but if it goes to a third, she's going to retire or lose it 6-2.

I have a stream going thanks to Batman.
    Pliskova ahead 5-4 in the second, Caro has been hanging tough, it's do or die now.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    Anyone watching the Pliskova-Woz final? Interesting stuff. There are many times when Pliskova is absolutely unplayable. She's currently up 6-3 3-2, on serve. She went up 4-0 in the first set. She's not only moving well, but playing some really intelligent tennis. It's pretty remarkable that Wozniacki has been able to keep it this close.

It's now a race against the clock. You can tell that Pliskova is exhausted. She's starting to lose her newfound ability to bend her knees, and she's coming over the ball too quickly and slapping shots into the net. She's also missed a couple absolute sitters at the net in the last 10 minutes. Wozniacki just needs to cling for dear life and get this into a third set.

Pliskova could close this out in ten minutes, but if it goes to a third, she's going to retire or lose it 6-2.
    Did not happen as Pliskova broke serve to win title
    30 Slam titles in singles and 14 Slam titles in doubles.

aaand she closes it out. Very professionally done by Pliskova. She slips ahead of Venus for #2 in the race. She doesn't have to do a ton to keep gaining points from now through the French.

I think she'll have a mathematical shot at #1 at Wimbledon.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    Did not happen as Pliskova broke serve to win title
    Yup. If it had gone further she would have needed an oxygen tank and cramp rubdown on every changeover. I'm curious to see if she might pull out of Dubai, but she's already in the area and, with a BYE, won't have to play her first match until probably Wednesday night. I imagine she'll stick around.

Solid, scrappy stuff from Woz. I'm glad that her renaissance is continuing. She tends to annoy me, but tennis is better when she's around and playing well.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    I agree she can win this but that loss to Lucic as the AO also showed that her consistency still needs improving.
    Surprise, surprise!
    She surprised me...

Pliskova won the final with consistency, it was hard to believe she did that against Caro, Ms. consistent herself. The final ended with two long points both lost by Caro via unforced errors, goes to show you how far Pliskova has gone down the path of consistency.

Watch out WTA tour, there is a new boss.

2 titles already and we are not even in March.
    There is a 900 pointer coming right up across the gulf. Then there are the pair of 1000 pointers coming in next month.
    My math says different than yours Charlie.
    Last edited by Correspondent Kiu; 02-18-2017 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    Yup. If it had gone further she would have needed an oxygen tank and cramp rubdown on every changeover. I'm curious to see if she might pull out of Dubai, but she's already in the area and, with a BYE, won't have to play her first match until probably Wednesday night. I imagine she'll stick around.

Solid, scrappy stuff from Woz. I'm glad that her renaissance is continuing. She tends to annoy me, but tennis is better when she's around and playing well.
    With Dubai final on Saturday, Pliskova first match will be Tuesday while Wozniacki will have to play on Monday
    30 Slam titles in singles and 14 Slam titles in doubles.

Quote Originally Posted by Correspondent Kiu View Post

Watch out WTA tour, there is a new boss.

No, there isn't. The boss is doing some photo shoots in some Caribbean island and is just terribly bored at the moment, waiting for the French Open to start and for her to devour 7 innocent children on her way to #24.
    That's all.
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    No, there isn't. The boss is doing some photo shoots in some Caribbean island and is just terribly bored at the moment, waiting for the French Open to start and for her to devour 7 innocent children on her way to #24.
    That's all.
    She is actually back in Florida at least as of yesterday and, believe it or not, hitting some tennis balls at Ballenisles Country Club.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast