Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Should we change the practice pool?

The quarterfinals have not even started yet, and the men's pool is already over and the women's pool only has two players left in it. I realize that this has been a crazy tournament with lots of upsets, but I think the main reason everyone has gone out so early is the fact that we have to slog through the first two days without any seeds playing. I think maybe for next year we shouldn't start until the third day. Thoughts?

Re: Should we change the practice pool?

Sorry, but I disagree.

I think it should be kept just the way it is. Having to look at lesser known players in the opening couple of days is one of the fun things about these pools.

Yes, Miami has been a bit of a disaster for us all, but it is just for practice, and I for one have learnt a couple of really good lessons for the future.

Set up an official poll about the unofficial sp.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Jidkova Fan
    Sorry, but I disagree.

I think it should be kept just the way it is. Having to look at lesser known players in the opening couple of days is one of the fun things about these pools.

Yes, Miami has been a bit of a disaster for us all, but it is just for practice, and I for one have learnt a couple of really good lessons for the future.
    I'm with Jidkovafan on this one. I think there were a lot of upsets, and that was the problem. Not everyone picks seeds at the start of the majors either. I think here, Srichaphan and Mirza took out a great number on day 2 and also feel they were pretty safe bets, seeded or not. They may very well have been chosen in the early part of the majors too.

Plus, I think percentage-wise, we had the same attrition rate as in the majors for the mens pool. The womens pool was decimated by Mirza because an unusually high number of people chose the same player so early.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Midi Golf Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Practice or not, part of the pool is getting punked. Trust me, no one got it worse than I did in Miami (though seeing Greul do something with his draw after knocking me out is SOME relief). That's just the nature of a suicide pool.

My two cents.

Dry
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

I say keep it as it is. Getting to know the lower ranked and unseeded players is a great learning experience that these practice pools allow. I researched players and decided to pick players that I would never have picked if we didn't do the early rounds. When the slams come around, I'll know more about the dangerous unseeded players to avoid or pick for an upset. It's good practice.

Plus, we all get to complain about Mirza losing to a 16 year old.
    Counting the days to Wimbledon...

tennis nut
    Awards Showcase

Is the NCAA basketball tournament p
    Tennis - the sport for a lifetime.

tennis nut
    Awards Showcase

Sorry I hit a key by mistake. As I was saying, is the NCAA basketball pool started in the 3rd round? NO! Upsets are part of the package that we pool players have to deal with.
    Tennis - the sport for a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123
    The quarterfinals have not even started yet, and the men's pool is already over and the women's pool only has two players left in it. I realize that this has been a crazy tournament with lots of upsets, but I think the main reason everyone has gone out so early is the fact that we have to slog through the first two days without any seeds playing. I think maybe for next year we shouldn't start until the third day. Thoughts?
    NO ! Losing to unknown players is all the fun. That way we get to learn about them and blacklist them for future tournaments.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I'm one to go with the group's concensus on any issue like this. But to be honest, I am glad to see the group favors sticking with our original format.

It does force you to learn something about under the radar players, which I always enjoy. And, as one of the Suicide Pool "lifeguards" (credit Jon W. for that one), I take a demonic pleasure in early upsets.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

I agree that it should stay the way it is......we are starting to get a group of youngsters that show the ability to make it out of the first round...I sure miss young Frazier and Raymond, two that you pretty much could count on fighting into the next round, after all it was their bread and butter.....

And, its exciting that way.

While I'm at it.....I must praise Jie Zheng and Tatiana Golovin....two woman I did not give enough credit. Tati, I know has game, just didn't expect her to make it pass Dementieva so I have two picks left but will be unable to reach the final.

All I can try to do is pull the rug out from under ShTexas in my next selection. And, I will have to follow his lead.
    I am a citizen of the most beautiful nation on earth. A nation whose laws are harsh yet simple, a nation that never cheats, which is immense and without borders, where life is lived in the present. In this limitless nation, this nation of wind, light, and peace, there is no other ruler besides the sea.

I find it interesting that everyone would rather play for two or three days under the 'pure' rules instead of altering them and playing for five or six days. I don't mind whether we change them or not, I just really enjoy playing the suicide pool and I thought it would be more enjoyable if more than 6% of our players made it into the second week. Just a suggestion though. Please call off the dogs.

I find it interesting that everyone would rather play for two or three days under the 'pure' rules instead of altering them and playing for five or six days. I don't mind whether we change them or not, I just really enjoy playing the suicide pool and I thought it would be more enjoyable if more than 6% of our players made it into the second week. Just a suggestion though. Please call off the dogs.
    WE KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE !!!

Do you really think the dog were on you? I think members were just voicing their opinions. I didn't notice any dog-like attack. They just disagreed with you.

Nobody ever agrees with my opinions either Charlie :

But I keep giving it to em, and I hope you do too!
    It ain't what you eat but how you chew it.

http://i.pbase.com/g3/97/503997/2/56....DSC_6031a.jpg

you will know when my dog is on you.

lol
    I am a citizen of the most beautiful nation on earth. A nation whose laws are harsh yet simple, a nation that never cheats, which is immense and without borders, where life is lived in the present. In this limitless nation, this nation of wind, light, and peace, there is no other ruler besides the sea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast