Agree Agree:  2
Likes Likes:  1
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Road to Singapore - 2017

News Release
    August 14, 2017

Ekaterina Makarova/Elena Vesnina and Chan Yung-Jan/Martina Hingis Qualify for BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global
    Defending champions Ekaterina Makarova/Elena Vesnina and Chan Yung-Jan/Martina Hingis become the first two teams to qualify for the 2017 WTA Finals

ST PETERSBURG, FL, USA - The Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) announced today that the doubles pairings of Ekaterina Makarova/Elena Vesnina and Chan Yung-Jan/Martina Hingis are the first teams to qualify for the 2017 BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global, taking place October 22-29 at the Singapore Sports Hub. Makarova/Vesnina are currently at the top of the Porsche Race to Singapore Leaderboard with 6,265 points and Chan/Hingis are in second with 5,815.

Makarova and Vesnina are set to return to Singapore in defense of their 2016 WTA Finals title. The Russians have three titles this year - Wimbledon, the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships and Rogers Cup - Toronto, and have reached the quarterfinals or better in 10 of their 11 events this year. This marks the fifth consecutive year they have qualified for the WTA Finals, winning the title in 2016 and reaching the final in 2013.

“We are excited to return to Singapore to defend our WTA Finals title,” said Vesnina. “We have great memories in Singapore and will try to play our best to win again. The moment we won last year was thrilling and we hope to recreate that alongside our fans.”

“Elena and I love to play doubles together and winning the title last year in a tournament with the eight best teams in the world was so much fun,” said Makarova. “We always look forward to coming back to the WTA Finals, as it is a great challenge for us.”

Chan/Hingis, from Chinese Taipei and Switzerland, began their partnership at the 2017 Qatar Total Open - Doha, reaching the semifinals on their debut as a team. The duo has since been crowned champions at five events this season: the BNP Paribas Open - Indian Wells, Mutua Madrid Open, Internazionali BNL d’Italia - Rome, Mallorca Open and Aegon International Eastbourne. Chan will be making her fourth appearance and Hingis will be making her eighth doubles appearance at the WTA Finals, where she has won the doubles title on three occasions in 1999-2000 (w/ Kournikova) and 2015 (w/Mirza).

“It is a great honor to be one of the first teams to qualify for the WTA Finals in Singapore,” said Hingis. “Chan Yung-Jan and I teamed up for the first time earlier this year and we have had great success with five titles. I feel very comfortable with her on the court and we are looking forward to achieving great things throughout the rest of the season and in Singapore.”

“This will be my fourth time competing at the WTA Finals, and I’m really looking forward to it,” said Chan. “The last two years in Singapore have been with my sister, and we have played against Martina many times, so it will be a fun new experience to play in Singapore with her on my side of the net.”

The top 8 singles players and doubles teams will compete at the 2017 BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global in October.

Tickets to the BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global are on sale at the WTAFinals.com, an immersive one-stop destination for all things tournament-related, bringing fans the latest news from the top players on their journey on the Porsche Race to Singapore.

Be sure to check out WTA Insider exclusives with Makarova/Vesnina here and Chan/Hingis here. To see the full Porsche Race to Singapore Leaderboard, click here.

The WTA is the global leader in women’s professional sport with more than 2,500 players representing nearly 100 nations competing for a record $139 million in prize money. The 2017 WTA competitive season includes 55 events and four Grand Slams in 32 countries. In 2016, the WTA was watched by 408 million fans on television and digital channels around the world. The 2017 WTA competitive season concludes with the BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global from October 22-29, 2017 and the WTA Elite Trophy in Zhuhai, China from October 31-November 5, 2017.

ABOUT LAGARDÈRE SPORTS
    Lagardère Sports is a leading sport marketing agency, with a global network of local experts dedicated to delivering innovative solutions that meet our clients’ needs. We believe sport inspires emotions and passion that are essential to enrich people’s lives and generate powerful collective experiences. At Lagardère Sports, we dedicate our expertise and passion to provide our clients with privileged access to the infinite opportunities of sports. Lagardère Sports is part of Lagardère Sports and Entertainment, a company with more than 1,600 employees worldwide and 50 years of experience.

I would still love it so much for one more change at the lead. I said at the beginning of the year there would be 6 #1's during the year. We are up to 4, with five lead changes.
    It is like a good MotoGP race.
    Starry starry night

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123