Agree Agree:  8
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Predictions : Week of 100316

This contest is temporarily closed to new participants. If you participated in the contest since January 1,2010 or you signed up on or before Sunday December 27,2015, you are eligible to participate.

We have three events to predict this we3ek. The ATP is at Beijing and Tokyo while the WTA is at Beijing, which is the final WTA Race to Singapore event.

ATP BRACKETS

Beijing : http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...ATPBEIJING.htm Predictions due before play starts on Wednesday at 12:30 PM local (USA: 12:30 AM EDT - 9:30 AM PDT Tuesday evening)

Tokyo : http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...16ATPTOKYO.htm Predictions due before play starts on Wednesday at 11 AM local (USA: Tuesday evening at 10 PM EDT - 7 PM PDT)

WTA BRACKETS

Beijing : http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...WTABEIJING.htm Predictions due before play starts on Thursday at 12:30 PM local (USA: 12:30 AM EDT - 9:30 AM PDT Wednesday evening)

PICKS:

After the deadlines pass, you will be able to find everyone's picks at http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...16allpicks.htm
    Last edited by patrick; 10-05-2016 at 06:28 PM.
    2017 & 2018 Australian Open Champions

Blog Entries

Re: Predictions : Week of 100316

If rain continues, picks will be due Thursday for Beijing.

Slightly Less of a Loser ptmcmahon's Avatar

So what are the Beijing deadlines?

Blog Entries

ATP predictions are due in a few hours while the WTA is due on Thursday

The hardest part of Tokyo predictions for me was Muller-Berdych...I knew I'd want whoever won that in final...but went with Berdych.

Tour Champion

Nishikori's retirement is going to have some severe ramifications on the ATP results this week...

Blog Entries

When did the Beijing deadline change? Last I looked it was Thursday -- when I did the Tokyo predicitons. This is bullshit.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Blog Entries

Brackets have been available all week. If someone chooses to wait until the last possible moment in order to enter any picks at all that's the risk they take.

The statement in patrick's post begins with a "If". And prior to that time, the deadline was listed as Wednesday all the week leading up to that.

Sorry you were caught off guard by the deadline shifting then reverting to the originally posted time. Try to keep in mind this is a fully volunteer-run casual game. And one that cannot realistically have fans that go through the trouble of organizing this contest stare at and react instantly to shifting tournament schedules.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I missed redoing this bracket, but still had an earlier entry I made this week.
    Last edited by James7; 10-05-2016 at 02:03 PM.
    I disapprove of this message

Media Relations

I agree with Miles about the switching deadlines, but I also agree with the job being done by those who run this and other contests -- . I could have made picks earlier but chose to wait till the end of play on the day in question, then forgot to go back and check again after Petra's match. Oh well -- que sera sera -- I don't win much anyway

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post
    Brackets have been available all week. If someone chooses to wait until the last possible moment in order to enter any picks at all that's the risk they take.

The statement in patrick's post begins with a "If". And prior to that time, the deadline was listed as Wednesday all the week leading up to that.

Sorry you were caught off guard by the deadline becoming the originally posted time. Try to keep in mind this is a fully volunteer-run casual game. And one that cannot realistically have fans that go through the trouble of organizing this contest stare at and react instantly to shifting tournament schedules.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I missed redoing this bracket, but still had an earlier entry I made this week.
    It said Thursday all week, all the way until yesterday afternoon when I did Tokyo. Don't know how much longer it stayed that way. It says Patrick edited the post at 5pm PST. That's 4 1/2 hours before the deadline. And that's simply not fair.

And don't take this the wrong way, but considering you have no medals, you don't really play with any focus, so telling us to get predictions in as soon as brackets go up sounds really hollow and condescending. I know perfectly well how to play TAT contests.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

What is the minimum requirement of medals needed to be able to say it then? I always say to do them early just in case and redo if possible, but.not sure if I meet your minimum requirement for saying it. There is no reason not to. If there had been no brackets available youd have a better point.

Patrick's statement seemed pretty clear to me..if it keeps raining deadline will be thursday. It stopped raining....and one deadline remained wednesday.

Thanks patrick and james (and others) for running this volunteer contest. Most of us appreciate that its volunteer and this can't work out perfect always. That's why allowing bracket resubmission is so great.
    Last edited by ptmcmahon; 10-05-2016 at 02:31 PM.

Why is ATP Beijing saying Thursday deadline has passed when it's early Wednesday afternoon?
    TIHBS TIHBW

Avatar --> Politician 1: Philosopher King

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    It said Thursday all week, all the way until yesterday afternoon when I did Tokyo.
    I know for a fact that's not the case. But I have reason to watch these threads all week.

I really am sorry you're so upset, so I'm not taking anything personally here. I do hope you recognize as you cool down that no one is trying to sabotage anyone and the contest staff merely tries to do the best we can to make things smooth and provide all the information we can. I hope nothing reads as condescending as that's far from intent.

I went through a lot of trouble to make bracket generation tools with the goal of trying to make ensure no one gets a zero, ever. Maybe I try to push too hard in that attempt sometimes. Sorry if it reads poorly.
    I disapprove of this message

Hmmm - just refreshed the thread and saw the comments. But deadline is still saying "start of play" on Thursday ...

I don't want to dump on the volunteer organizers, whose efforts I appreciate, but not happy to miss this one, especially if it counts towards London
    TIHBS TIHBW

the Op still reads ...

ATP BRACKETS

Beijing : http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...ATPBEIJING.htm Predictions due before play starts on Thursday

As I write this it is 4:48 a.m. in Beijing. Surely play in Beijing on Thursday hasn't started yet???
    TIHBS TIHBW

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast