Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Predictions : Week of 100316

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSkan View Post
    the Op still reads ...

ATP BRACKETS

Beijing : http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...ATPBEIJING.htm Predictions due before play starts on Thursday
    I'm honestly not sure what you're looking at. I see:
    5XpOulW.png
    I disapprove of this message

Peter,

You might need to refresh? This is what mine says:
    ATP BRACKETS

Beijing : http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...ATPBEIJING.htm Predictions due before play starts on Wednesday at 12:30 PM local (USA: 12:30 AM EDT - 9:30 AM PDT Tuesday evening)

Tokyo : http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...16ATPTOKYO.htm Predictions due before play starts on Wednesday at 11 AM local (USA: Tuesday evening at 10 PM EDT - 7 PM PDT)

WTA BRACKETS

Beijing : http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...WTABEIJING.htm Predictions due before play starts on Thursday

PICKS:

After the deadlines pass, you will be able to find everyone's picks at http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...16allpicks.htm

Last edited by patrick; Yesterday at 07:57 PM.
    Also, I have to agree with James. It originally said Wednesday, and then changed to Thursday.

I can understand it is a real bummer - I "lost out" on one last year when the same thing happened.

TIHBS TIHBW

Avatar --> Politician 1: Philosopher King

I did refresh, that's how I saw the comments in the thread. Then I copy/pasted the reference to Thursday into my message.

After posting my image of the time in Beijing, I rechecked, and now it says "Wednesday".

All week long every time I checked it sais Thursday, until just now.
    TIHBS TIHBW

Can you confirm exactly when it was changed to a Wednesday deadline? And how many hours it was before the deadline?
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

If I remember (not that my memory is perfect), I think only Tokyo actually had the deadline posted...the next thing I saw was Patrick's post saying If it Rains deadline will be Thursday. The the rain stopped and play continued. I checked later that night and that was the first time I saw Beijing deadlines - Wed for ATP, Thu for WTA. But I could be misremembering.

Patrick's "if" post should have been reason enough for everyone who read it to either A) check again later or B) at least submit a bracket if they weren't going to be on again before the deadline. Again, if brackets weren't available then maybe complaints might be a little more valid...but everyone who saw that post should know predictions well enough to have done A or B by now.

James, I'm glad you're not taking this personally .. you went out of your way to make these complaints not valid if anything. Keep up the good work and I hope you and everyone know we all appreciate it and there are just some sour grapes from some people who think they can complain enough to avoid the 0 they're getting.

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    James, I'm glad you're not taking this personally .. you went out of your way to make these complaints not valid if anything. Keep up the good work and I hope you and everyone know we all appreciate it and there are just some sour grapes from some people who think they can complain enough to avoid the 0 they're getting.
    No sour grapes here, just a request for a level playing field -- one which lacks ever changing deadlines, and one which does not penalize someone for not constantly stalking this thread. Also in this specific situation, Tuesday afternoon the deadline still said before the start of play Thursday. Because overnight play was already completed, I assumed there would not be a change in the deadline. Why would there be? Over night play was completed and if the deadline was moved to Wednesday, it would have already been posted -- that was the assumption I was going by. All of this rain business happened much later in the day.

This problem pops up every few months and there's been no discussion on how to eradicate it. Instead the offered solution is always to do predictions early before the R16 matches are ready to be predicted. A half baked solution no matter how you look at it.

Off the top of my head I can think of two solutions. If we participants have to abide by the rules, how about some guidelines for the admins? How about a rule that says, once a deadline is posted (even a vague preliminary one), while it can be amended to a later time, it cannot be amended to an earlier time. So once it's posted that the deadline will be on "Thursday", it can't be moved to Wednesday but could be pushed to Friday. That screws no one. And we don't have to constantly stalk this thread.

Or how about tweaking the software so that when a deadline is set, the admin can do a quick cut and paste and email the deadline to everyone? Some functionality that is super easy so that it does not create more work for the volunteer admins.

Or we stay the course have this issue arise every few months.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Solution one you'd still have to stalk the thread in case a deadline got pushed back so you could redo picks on those cases. It'd be same as now where you can pick anytime and those who pay most attention will benefit some weeks by redoing.

Solution two sounds pretty good though, but I don't know if that'd be a lot of extra work or not.

Also ... last second wta bump...very last second.

I would like to thank the changing deadlines this week because they gave us 2 complimentary WTA picks in the quarterfinals - to ensure that I got more than one match correct.

All of us had Kerber/Halep.
    All but three had Pliskova.
    Eight of us had Wozniacki.
    Twelve of us had Garcia (or other).

Only three have their top half finalist still alive.
    Ten have lost their bottom half finalist.

Sadly there are going to be some ugly scores.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Jeebus, I came to lament losing Pouille as my finalist and I see that Thank goodness for freebies like you say. The girls all must know that it's the important week for Biggest Loser and all eager to do their part.

i logged in Tuesday afternoon around 2:30 Central time, and saw that Tokyo was due Wednesday (Tuesday evening) and the ATP and WTA draws for Beijing were due Thursday. Later in the day, around 7 PM I think, I logged in again and saw that the ATP Beijing deadline had been switched to Wednesday. That does seem to me like the deadline switch did not give folks a lot of time to make their picks. I was fortunate that I logged in during this window and I was able to make picks, but I can understand why others might be upset.

This week´s picks have 25 for WTA Beijing, 24 for ATP Tokyo, and 16 for ATP Beijing. I think it is fair to say that the deadline switch caught more than a few people by surprise. My suggestion is to err on the side of caution when changing deadlines. If we end up with a few more freebies because of that, it´s not the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post

And don't take this the wrong way, but considering you have no medals, you don't really play with any focus, so telling us to get predictions in as soon as brackets go up sounds really hollow and condescending. I know perfectly well how to play TAT contests.
    OK. Fine. If James doesn't have the medals to say it in your opinion, I do.

1. You've played this contest for many years now. You know the rules and you know that deadlines change.

When people sign up for this at the end of each year they know perfectly well that checking in and doing the homework is THEIR responsibility. This has always been like this. That may mean that you have to check in regularly and if you can't, or have any doubts, now we are lucky enough to have brackets available to submit a backup prediction just in case. You even have the chance to re-do it later if the deadline were pushed back or something unexpected comes up.

2. Knowing perfectly well how to play this, means that one knows that Asian tournaments usually have early deadlines and demand extra attention in this regard.

3. Patrick made it very clear that the deadline was weather-dependent.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    If rain continues, picks will be due Thursday for Beijing.
    4. Regarding this:

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post

Or how about tweaking the software so that when a deadline is set, the admin can do a quick cut and paste and email the deadline to everyone? Some functionality that is super easy so that it does not create more work for the volunteer admins.

This contest, as all others, is run by volunteers. Volunteers that take time out of their lives to post weekly threads, updates, scores and troubleshoot when problems arise. Asking for James to take on extra coding that can be very difficult to sort out a small issue that arises only twice or thrice a year is ungrateful. Patrick and James have the hardest job contest-wise. They have to be at this from Hopman Cup starting in December or the first days of January until the Davis Cup Finals in December. They get maybe 4 weeks off from the whole year. 4 weeks.
    Furthermore, this contest only persists because James was kind enough to develop this system, otherwise it would have been scrapped. So nobody is going to impose on James more work. If he wishes to tinker with it because this is his desire, so be it. But there will be no tailoring of the software.

5. We're not going to used fixed deadlines as has been suggested in previous occasions. If we were to use that, one would have to use a fixed time zone for the deadline and people ahead of it would have an advantage and people behind it would be at a disadvantage. So there goes the level playing field.

6. Any rule change that might occur will not be now when 3 quarters of the season is over. When we open the end of year thread asking for those who wish to sign up or stop playing, anyone can, in a timely manner, offer their suggestion about things that could be changed and we will then consider the viability and merits. Any change whatsoever will occur for the 2017 season.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

On first impression, I like the suggested principle that you can amend a deadline to a later date but not to an earlier date. If it so happens that R16 gets underway earlier than anticipated, then the entire field benefits from more freebies. That's a better outcome, in my view, then a scenario where many participants are frustrated to discover that the deadline had been moved forward and they have no recourse.
    TIHBS TIHBW

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSkan View Post
    On first impression, I like the suggested principle that you can amend a deadline to a later date but not to an earlier date. If it so happens that R16 gets underway earlier than anticipated, then the entire field benefits from more freebies. That's a better outcome, in my view, then a scenario where many participants are frustrated to discover that the deadline had been moved forward and they have no recourse.
    Peter, please be sure to bring this up again when at the end of the year when we open the 2017 Predictions Thread. We will then consider it. Right now we're not going to switch horses in the middle of the race.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

So a 1/3 of the players got screwed this week yet no one wants to admit there was a problem or find a way to remedy the situation. Great!

Quote Originally Posted by Drop-shot View Post
    1. You've played this contest for many years now. You know the rules and you know that deadlines change.

When people sign up for this at the end of each year they know perfectly well that checking in and doing the homework is THEIR responsibility. This has always been like this. That may mean that you have to check in regularly and if you can't, or have any doubts, now we are lucky enough to have brackets available to submit a backup prediction just in case. You even have the chance to re-do it later if the deadline were pushed back or something unexpected comes up.

2. Knowing perfectly well how to play this, means that one knows that Asian tournaments usually have early deadlines and demand extra attention in this regard.

3. Patrick made it very clear that the deadline was weather-dependent.

Dude, do you even know the timeline of the events? I said I did my Tokyo predictions Tuesday afternoon. At that time the deadline was still Thursday and absolutely no mention of rain. See mysterX's post if you don't believe me. Also do you really think I wouldn't have come back later to check on the Beijing deadline if the rain was mentioned when I did Tokyo? If I made a mistake, it was in assuming that since overnight play was done in Asia, and the deadline still said Thurday, it would stay that way.

No one is willing to answer the question as to when the rain post went up and just how many hours was it before the deadline. Again 1/3 of the players missed doing predictions so there was a problem here.

If I had missed doing them simply because I forgot, I would not be complaining here. But there was a genuine problem here that no one on the contest staff wants to admit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast