Agree Agree:  6
Likes Likes:  8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Re: Davis Cup 2017 Draws, OoP's & Discussion

From the shallow end of the pool.... PH2 and Nico recovering/celebrating last night [GIF]:

https://twitter.com/AnnaK_4ever/stat...80029120942080

José Morgado‏Verified account @josemorgado 3m3 minutes ago
    More
    Wow. Fucsovics has the best 3 days of his career, wins his three matches vs Russia and Hungary is into the WG. The story of the weekend.

"For the person that we know in the daytime, we don't need to light a lamp to see his face at night." Ghanaian Proverb

Robin Haase, Matwe Middelkoop, Thiemo de Bakker and Tallon Griekspoor

NETHERLANDS' REMARKABLE COMEBACK STUNS CZECH REPUBLIC

17 Sep 2017

Robin Haase and Thiemo de Bakker had it all to do on the final day of the Davis Cup World Group play-off tie between Netherlands and Czech Republic and they didn't disappoint. The duo recovered well from narrow opening day losses to defeat Jiri Vesely and Lukas Rosol and knock Czech Republic out of the World Group for just the second time since its introduction in 1981.

It is only the second time in Netherlands' history that it has come back from 0-2 down in a World Group tie. The only other time it has achieved the feat was in 1997 when it defeated Romania in the first round. Dutch captain Paul Haarhuis won the decisive point that day and he was instrumental in leading his quartet to glory this time around.

Haarhuis insisted his players needed to be aggressive on the final day and that’s what he got. Two gutsy performances against quality opposition had the Dutch fans dancing in their seats and ensured Netherlands will return to the top level of the competition for the first time since 2014.

In the opening singles rubber, Haase started as he meant to go on, blasting through two love holds and going for the lines early on in the rally.

Vesely fended off a break point in his opening service game but couldn’t do the same in his next one, falling behind an early break to trail 3-1. That first game was to be the only score the Czech No. 1 put on the board in the opening set as Haase enjoyed a perfect start to his campaign, running away with the first set 6-1 in 23 minutes.

It all changed in the second set however, as Vesely found his range and capitalised on a couple of errors from his opponent. Twenty-three minutes later and the Czech No. 1 secured the second set by the same scoreline as the first to level the match.

The third set began in a tense fashion and it wasn’t until the eighth game that a break occurred. Haase forced Vesely into a couple of costly errors with some world class retrieval at the back of the court to break for 5-3 before serving out the set much to the delight of the home fans.

The world No. 39 maintained his composure in the fourth set and with no sign of fatigue, this was his 13th set of tennis this weekend, Haase broke for 4-3 and secured a 61 16 63 64 victory soon after.

“It feels amazing. I played really well from the first ball to the last point," said Haase. "I felt all the time ‘I have him, I have him.’ Sometimes you have these matches, where even if the score is even, you feel like you’re in control. I felt that today and I had a certain Plan A and B in my head. I wanted to play that constantly, I did and it worked.”

Vesely said: "It was a very tough match. He played extremely well today, after playing both days. We all thought he would be tired, but that wasn’t the case. We all know he is a great player who plays extremely well in Davis Cup matches. Today he proved how great he can play."

Rosol raced through the opening set of his match against Thiemo de Bakker. He looked focused and determined as he broke twice and eased to a 6-3 lead.

The rest of the match didn't go Rosol's way however. De Bakker's serve began firing on all cylinders which meant the Czech No. 2 had few chances to break. The Dutchman grew in confidence as the match progressed, buoyed on by the crowd support De Bakker started forcing errors from Rosol and wrapped up the rubber - and the tie - 36 64 64 64 after two hours 40 minutes.

Netherlands will find out at Wednesday’s Davis Cup draw who it will play in the World Group first round next year while Czech Republic returns to Europe/Africa Zone Group I for 2018.

“It’s difficult to reflect now because it’s the first time in my 11 years that we have been relegated from the World Group, but my players gave everything this weekend," said Czech captain Jaroslav Navratil.

https://www.daviscup.com/en/news/272185.aspx
    "For the person that we know in the daytime, we don't need to light a lamp to see his face at night." Ghanaian Proverb

Christopher Clarey‏ @christophclarey 3h3 hours ago
    More
    France's new musketeers will likely never win a Slam singles title but they should win a Davis Cup. Big chance at home v Belgium in November

We All Play for Canada

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Ribbons View Post
    From the shallow end of the pool.... PH2 and Nico recovering/celebrating last night [GIF]:

https://twitter.com/AnnaK_4ever/stat...80029120942080
    I see what you did there

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    [FONT="]Denis ShapovalovVerified account @denis_shapo 2h2 hours agoMore

[/FONT]

[FONT="]Victory never tasted so good #cheers #GoCanada
    [/FONT]

I was going to say he's not allowed to drink even in Canada, but this was in Edmonton and apparently drinking age in Alberta is 18. You live, you learn!

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    I was going to say he's not allowed to drink even in Canada, but this was in Edmonton and apparently drinking age in Alberta is 18. You live, you learn!
    That's why they played the tie in Alberta
    We All Play for Canada

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

When you live in Canada you learn which provinces have younger drinking ages Quebec is 18 too so that year we took a couple of trips there
    Last edited by ptmcmahon; 09-18-2017 at 04:42 AM.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    [FONT="]Denis ShapovalovVerified account @denis_shapo 2h2 hours agoMore

[/FONT]

[FONT="]Victory never tasted so good #cheers #GoCanada
    [/FONT]

WTH? They made Nestor take the picture or something?

Canada to play in 2018 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group after victory over India in Edmonton

- Denis Shapovalov secures tie for Canada with straight-sets victory over Indian No. 1 Ramkumar Ramanathan
    - Canada keeps spot in top tier of competition for seventh straight year
    - Wednesday’s Davis Cup draw will determine 2018 first-round match-ups

Edmonton, September 17, 2017 - The Canadian Davis Cup team’s spot in the elite 16-team World Group has been cemented for a seventh consecutive year following Denis Shapovalov’s 6-3, 7-6(1), 6-3 victory over Ramkumar Ramanathan of India on Sunday. The 18-year-old from Richmond Hill, Ont. captured a straight-sets win to secure Canada’s triumph over India in their Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group play-off tie at Edmonton’s Northland Coliseum. The final score for the weekend is 3-2 in Canada’s favour following a 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 loss by Canada’s Brayden Schnur to Yuki Bhambri in the last match of the weekend.

Shapovalov, ranked world No. 51, exuded confidence from the beginning of his two hour and five minute battle against Indian No. 1 Ramanathan. A total of 23 of Shapovalov’s 30 winners came on the forehand, while his powerful serve was another impressive point of play, with his fastest serve clocking in at 213 km/h. In his third-ever Davis Cup tie, and first as the team’s No. 1 player, Shapovalov posted a 2-0 record.

“I think this is right up there,” said Shapovalov of where today’s match ranks in his growing list of accomplishments. “I grew up wanting to represent my country and play Davis Cup. To be able to be a part of the team and clinch today is honestly the best feeling. To help my country win this week is a huge honour and for sure I’ll be back for many years to come if I’m invited to play. It’s such a fun event and I love doing it.”

Canada will now compete in the prestigious World Group for a seventh straight year in 2018, a Canadian record, while India will play one level below in the Asia/Oceania Zone Group I. Before 2012, the Canadians had only participated in the highest echelon of Davis Cup twice, in 1991 and 1992. The team’s best result is making the 2013 World Group semifinals.

“It’s an enjoyable one, it’s one of relief,” said Canadian captain Martin Laurendeau of this weekend’s win. “We wanted to avoid dropping down. I mean, it’s really tough, look at the countries that are back in there [in the zonal groups]. Czech Republic, Argentina, there are just so many good teams worldwide. So it was very important for us to take advantage of another relegation match in Canada and make the most of that chance. It was a great team effort, everyone pitched in. Good effort from the guys, and just an overall good feeling.”

In Canada’s first Davis Cup tie in Edmonton in 21 years, total attendance for the three days at Northlands Coliseum totaled 13,159 spectators.

Davis Cup is the largest annual team sport competition in the world, with 134 teams entered in 2017 and only the Top 16 competing in the elite World Group. Canada will learn its first-round opponent for next year’s Davis Cup competition on Wednesday when the International Tennis Federation conducts the 2018 draw.

Final results

Davis Cup World Group Play-offs
    Canada vs. India
    September 15-17, 2017
    Northlands Coliseum, Edmonton
    Canada wins 3-2

Date
    Event
    Match/Result
    Friday, Sept. 15
    First Singles Rubber
    Ramanathan d. Schnur 5-7, 7-6(4), 7-5, 7-5
    Friday, Sept. 15
    Second Singles Rubber
    Shapovalov d. Bhambri 7-6(2), 6-4, 6-7(6), 4-6, 6-1
    Saturday, Sept. 16
    Doubles Rubber
    Nestor/Pospisil d. Bopanna/Raja 7-5, 7-5, 5-7, 6-3
    Sunday, Sept. 17
    Third Singles Rubber
    Shapovalov d. Ramanathan 6-3, 7-6(1), 6-3
    Sunday, Sept. 17
    Fourth Singles Rubber
    Bhambri d. Schnur 6-4, 4-6, 6-4

About Davis Cup

Davis Cup by BNP Paribas is the World Cup of Tennis. It is the largest annual international team competition in sport, with 134 teams entered in 2017. The competition is 117 years old having been founded in 1900. The title sponsor is BNP Paribas, the Official Bank of Davis Cup. International sponsors are Rolex (Official Timekeeper) and Adecco (Official HR Sponsor), while Head (Official Ball) is an international partner. beIN SPORTS is the Official Global Media Rights Partner. Follow all the action on www.daviscup.com,
    www.copadavis.com, www.twitter.com/daviscup,
    www.facebook.com/DavisCupTennis, and www.Weibo.com/daviscupofficial.

About Tennis Canada

Founded in 1890, Tennis Canada is a non-profit, national sport association with a mission to lead the growth of tennis in Canada and a vision to become a world-leading tennis nation. We value teamwork, passion, integrity, innovation and excellence. Tennis Canada owns and operates the premier Rogers Cup presented by National Bank WTA and ATP World Tour events, 10 professional ITF-sanctioned events and financially supports 12 other professional tournaments in Canada. Tennis Canada operates national junior training centres/programs in Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, and Calgary. Tennis Canada is a proud member of the International Tennis Federation, the Canadian Olympic Committee, the Canadian Paralympic Committee and the International Wheelchair Tennis Association, and serves to administer, sponsor and select the teams for Davis Cup, Fed Cup, the Olympic and Paralympic Games and all wheelchair, junior and senior national teams. Tennis Canada invests its surplus into tennis development. For more information on Tennis Canada, please visit our website at www.tenniscanada.com and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Nestor is playing St. Petersburg this week - he left 7AM Edmonton time - flew to Toronto - then to Munich, I think - and then on to St. Petersburg. He wasn't present for any of the play on Sunday or the team celebration that followed.
    We All Play for Canada

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Past his bedtime.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    You LooOOOoooooose, you leaRRRrrrrrrn. (Alanis, anybody?)

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    Past his bedtime.
    Beat me to it.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678