Agree Agree:  2
Likes Likes:  5
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: UPDATED 2016 Men's USOSP Picks & Results

Quote Originally Posted by jazzyg View Post
    I understand the logic. I just think Monfils is a better player than Nadal right now. And he should have reached the semis a few years ago when he choked against Federer, so he's already proven he can go deep on these courts and now he appears to have the mental toughness, too.
    Well, I think now you will be right about Monfils making it past the next section beacuse I doubt Pouille could possibly have much left. I love Monfils, but I have heard this before about him being a different guy, and now being totally focused. I have never viewed him as mentally weak, just not totally committed. You said it yourself; he outplays Federer for two sets, and loses focus. And you think this would not happen against the greatest finisher and competitor of all time? Who might not be what he was, but he's still pretty awesome... it's just a tough sell. Of course we will never know. Thanks Lucas.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzyg View Post
    He was A pick, but I don't think he was THE pick because I don't see Nadal beating him in the quarters if they both get there.
    In the surveillance mirror over the loser's lounge bar, it does seem silly now that I had wondered, "Am I picking Rafa too early? What if Gael hurts himself on a trick shot and I end up having to pick Baggy over Rafa next round?"

Has there ever been a day in suicide pool history when the French players were the picks of the day? Picking a French player is suppose to be bad. Pouille would have been the pick of the day if any of us had had the guts but it didn't occur to me that he'd actually win.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    Has there ever been a day in suicide pool history when the French players were the picks of the day? Picking a French player is suppose to be bad. Pouille would have been the pick of the day if any of us had had the guts but it didn't occur to me that he'd actually win.
    Pick OTD in terms of popularity, or in terms of a picker going against conventional wisdom and living to tell the tale?

Bandwagon-wise, Bartoli carried 77 through round 1 of USO '09, and that was still the record after USO 2010. And she was again head of the train in a later round of RG11.

But Rezai taking out 93 in AO2010 definitely looms larger in my memory. Although I seem to recall Kvitova (not French, but arguably as flaky, and I say this as a fan) was responsible for an even bigger kill during a more recent major.

(There may be more recent stats in the archives, but my search engine mojo is no longer in the house, which may or may not be related to me sipping my fifth glass of hard cider after getting my butt kicked in flamenco class earlier today. And no, that isn't a metaphor for Spanish forehand fail. )
    Last edited by Ribbons; 09-04-2016 at 10:42 PM. Reason: drinking does affect ability to complete sentences properly on the first and second try...

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Day 8 breakdown:

Kei Nishikori 7
    Stan Wawrinka 3
    Juan Martin del Potro 2

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Day 9 breakdown:

9 Djokovic
    3 Pouille

les dés sont jetés ! (the dice are thrown, french expression)
    ALLEZ LES BLEUS
    second Decima of the year !!

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

How comes so many picking Nole this early?

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    How comes so many picking Nole this early?
    Lack of options - all but one of us could have chosen either Djokovic or Pouille. Pouille would be the pick if you want to beat the draw but, personally, I don't believe that he's going to beat Monfils so I went with Djokovic to live to fight another day.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    Lack of options - all but one of us could have chosen either Djokovic or Pouille. Pouille would be the pick if you want to beat the draw but, personally, I don't believe that he's going to beat Monfils so I went with Djokovic to live to fight another day.
    I gave it a LOT of thought, more than is healthy. I just could not stomach jumping on that Djokovic bandwagon. If you already have a medal shouldnt you be trying to win the draw if you never have? It's definitely easier to beat the field than to beat the draw.

There are different philosophies on this. I personally don't care, a medal is a medal
    Roger forever

exactly, I knew Pouille would not beat Monfils, so only option left was Djoko, even though I could have taken Pouille (I still had him). The only good choice was to have taken Pouille against Nadal, ... and that one none of us did try it.
    ALLEZ LES BLEUS
    second Decima of the year !!

I understand ID's rationale but really, the way these contests have been unfolding lately, making it to the UPDATED thread is an achievement. Getting a medal is worth a bottle of a fine sparkling wine to celebrate with your friends (those that understand this insanity). Beating the draw is now something like the stuff of lore.
    This is becoming "300" (the movie). You know you will die at the end; it is just doing so with certain bravery.
    Missing winter...

Are people picking Djokovic early because of his injured wrist???
    When you play the game of tennis you win or you die, there is no middle ground.

I bet ID is rooting for a certain frenchman tonight, to uphold the way he perished in this pool (with dignity)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast