Agree Agree:  137
Likes Likes:  116
Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 16313738394041

Thread: The NFL Thread

Re: The NFL Thread

JC Tretter
    @JCTretter
    Players: our union has not agreed to any reopening plan. Any reports about coming back to work are hypothetical. You will hear from the NFLPA when there are new developments.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

The article itself says this is something we all knew.
    In light of George Floyd’s death, ex-NFL exec admits what we knew all along: Protests ended Colin Kaepernick’s career

And yes, I know. I really like the sport. But it is time to boycott the NFL for a few weeks, if not the whole season.
    And I wonder how many players will kneel on day one.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

It will be interesting to see whether this impacts the opening games of the season. I might have to watch the NFL.
    HuffPost @HuffPost

BREAKING: In a major reversal, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell admitted that their organization was wrong for not allowing NFL players to peacefully protest police brutality against Black people during the national anthem.

https://twitter.com/HuffPost/status/1269042153176645633

Goodell does not get a pass from me. He let Mr Distraction and Pence get deeply involved about the flag instead of the real issue. Pence spent 325K from California to Indiana for a few minute stunt at the Colts game then back to California.
    2017 & 2018 Australian Open Champions

In a society where the punishment for things like these is excommunication (i.e., getting fired), I would not mind one bit if Goodell were forced to leave the job.
    Of course, the dream of Colin Kaepernick, NFL commissioner, has to be LSD induced. Maybe in another life.

SportsCenter
    @SportsCenter
    Breaking: Cam Newton has reached an agreement on a one-year, incentive-laden deal with the New England Patriots, league sources tell @AdamSchefter and @mortreport
    Bill Barnwell @billbarnwell
    Is signing a 31-year-old former league MVP a good idea when your starting quarterback is a fourth-round pick with four career pass attempts? Who can be sure

I don't understand...how is it possibly a bad idea? It may not work out or Cam may get hurt but sounds like it was a cheap flyer on someone else to compete for starting job.
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

I think that Mr Barnwell was being sarcastic. The deal is pretty stingy for Cam (Richard Sherman is calling it out). So indeed, the worst thing that can happen to the Pats is that they cut Cam before the start of the regular season (in case he is no longer Super Cam). Otherwise, there is no way the two QB's that the Pats have right now are not worried.

Not too surprising...

NFL’s Washington franchise officially has a new name coming
    In a sign that the NFL’s Washington franchise has committed itself to a new name, the league has asked teams to begin scrubbing “Redskins” from their platforms in anticipation of a change that could be coming as soon as Monday.

The move completes a swift about-face from Washington owner Dan Snyder, who previously vowed that the nickname would continue on as it has since 1933, when it was created by former owner George Preston Marshall. This despite the name coming under increased scrutiny in recent years as being racist and demeaning toward Native Americans. Those grievances have been longstanding, but gained significant momentum over the last month as the death of George Floyd sparked nationwide protests over racial inequality in the country.

The turning point appeared to come on July 2, when it was revealed that a group of investment firms in multibillion dollar corporations such as FedEx, Nike, PepsiCo and others had joined together to ask the companies to cut their business ties with Washington unless the franchise changed its nickname. Collectively, the groups and investors seeking to pressure the name change held a net worth of over $620 billion. Soon after that letter pressuring the companies, FedEx released a statement that it had requested a name change and Nike pulled all Washington merchandise from its online store.

The organization followed those moves by announcing it would begin a review process with its name, drawing a statement of praise from the NFL, essentially cementing the reality that Washington would be changing its nickname.

The change will add to some sweeping moves surrounding the franchise, including the removal of a memorial of Marshall outside RFK Stadium. Marshall had previously been an ardent critic of desegregation in America, including many statements made after his founding and ownership of one of the NFL’s cornerstone franchises over the last century. Snyder also acquiesced on removing Marshall from the team’s materials and Ring of Honor, despite at the time refusing to change Washington’s nickname.

Now he is on the verge of wiping the slate clean, which could also open some avenues to having his franchise move into the D.C. area, which has been favored by some politicians in the event of a new name.
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

This was a big deal back when I lived in Washington, D.C. between 1991 and 1997. This is what it took for them to finally come to their senses?
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    This was a big deal back when I lived in Washington, D.C. between 1991 and 1997. This is what it took for them to finally come to their senses?
    Hit 'em in their pocketbooks always seems to work.

Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 16313738394041