Agree Agree:  119
Likes Likes:  94
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 123456781429 ... LastLast

Thread: The NFL Thread

Re: The NFL Thread

Totally. Which is a further plus. The team is winning, everybody is happy and in sync. The media would love a story to write, don't give it to them.
    Starry starry night

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said after Sunday's win at Pittsburgh that Tony Romo will be active as the backup to Dak Prescott for next week's game against the Baltimore Ravens, Todd Archer of ESPNDallas reports.

"We're going to let this decision in this case make itself," Jones said. "Dak's got a hot hand and we're going to go with it."

Romo has been out since breaking a bone in his back during the preseason, but has been practicing.

Of the decision, Jones said, "It's not hard at all. Tony would make the same decision. That's what you do."
    http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescri...k/Default.aspx
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

And the Cowboys have the best record in the NFL. The entire NFL.
    Can this year get any weirder, in all facets? (The Cubs won the world series, Cleveland won the NBA, and some other minor cosmic anomalies which I really do not want to talk about here)
    Starry starry night

Last night was the first time I've seen Tom Brady look old on the field. Yes he made some good passes and Gronk, Amendola and the other usual suspects did their thing but there were a couple of times when passes mysteriously fell short and there was that fumble by him when his team was trying to get a touch down. For some reason I thought he was about 34 or 35. He's 39.

Russell Wilson also played a "meh" game. He's injured and it showed.

Maybe both had a bad night.

Anyone know who Brady's back up is?
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

The Cowboys defense, or lack thereof, will be their undoing. The offense is amazing, though. I'm not sure who the MVP of the team is - Dak? Zeke? The offensive line?

I wouldn't count Brady and the Patriots out based on last night. It was one game. Brady has looked pretty terrific other than last night.

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    The Cowboys defense, or lack thereof, will be their undoing. The offense is amazing, though. I'm not sure who the MVP of the team is - Dak? Zeke? The offensive line?

I wouldn't count Brady and the Patriots out based on last night. It was one game. Brady has looked pretty terrific other than last night.
    That's why I said that for now I'll chalk it up to both QB's having a bad night re Brady & Wilson.

Report: Gronkowski may have suffered punctured lung

Posted by Zac Jackson on November 14, 2016, 6:46 PM EST

FOXBORO, MA - NOVEMBER 13: Rob Gronkowski #87 of the New England Patriots attempts to catch a touchdown pass as he is defended by Kam Chancellor #31 of the Seattle Seahawks during the fourth quarter of a game at Gillette Stadium on November 13, 2016 in Foxboro, Massachusetts. (Photo by Jim Rogash/Getty Images)

Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski suffered what is believed to be a punctured lung during Sunday night’s loss to the Seahawks, NFL Network reported Monday.

Gronkowski finished the game. The report said he might only miss one game, though it’s probably too early to tell when he might be medically cleared.

The Patriots play at the 49ers this week, then are at the Jets on Nov. 27. They don’t play a team that currently has a winning record until their Dec. 12 Monday night game with the Ravens.

Gronkowski missed the season’s first two games due to a hamstring injury. He has 25 receptions on the season, 24 over the last five games.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...unctured-lung/

Ouch. That game was unbelievably physical on both sides.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    And the Cowboys have the best record in the NFL. The entire NFL.
    Can this year get any weirder, in all facets? (The Cubs won the world series, Cleveland won the NBA, and some other minor cosmic anomalies which I really do not want to talk about here)
    There are a lot of teams I'd say would be stranger than the Cowboys being first overall (Cleveland for example!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I think Jimmy Garoppolo is healthy again...

Last night was the first time I've seen Tom Brady look old on the field. Yes he made some good passes and Gronk, Amendola and the other usual suspects did their thing but there were a couple of times when passes mysteriously fell short and there was that fumble by him when his team was trying to get a touch down. For some reason I thought he was about 34 or 35. He's 39.

Russell Wilson also played a "meh" game. He's injured and it showed.

Maybe both had a bad night.

Last night was actually the best Wilson has looked all year--his injury was much worse earlier in the season, and he basically just stood in the pocket and hoped he didn't get hit. The Seahawks are definitely missing his running game.

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    Last night was actually the best Wilson has looked all year--his injury was much worse earlier in the season, and he basically just stood in the pocket and hoped he didn't get hit. The Seahawks are definitely missing his running game.
    I agree.

Report: Aaron Rodgers Hasn't Talked To His Family In Two Years

Jordan Sargent
    Yesterday 1:37pm

The most useful aspect of Jordan Rodgers’s appearance on The Bachelorette was the revelation that he apparently has no relationship with his brother, NFL star Aaron. Now, a new story published on Bleacher Report adds new details to the Packers quarterback’s supposedly strained relationship with his family.

The article itself is, as the headline asks, about whether Rodgers “can be the type of leader the Packers need,” whatever that means exactly. Writer Tyler Dunne, who covered the Packers as a beat writer for the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, portrays Rodgers as an unknowable and perhaps off-putting personality who seems to covet relationships with some players while ignoring others entirely. For example:

This is a teammate so loyal, he texted “Happy Birthday” to a former third-string tight end who caught nine passes in Green Bay. Said D.J. Williams, “He cares about guys on his team.”

This is also a teammate who never gave his cellphone number to Jermichael Finley, the starting tight end, through six seasons together.
    This characterization of Rodgers cuts sharply against the genial, comedic pitchman he plays on television, one who is seen in a ubiquitous insurance commercial giving a rousing pre-game speech and hanging out with Clay Matthews in his free time.

But Dunne expands his scope beyond the locker room and to Rodgers’s family life. Rodgers’s relationship, or lack thereof, with his brother was tabloid fodder over the summer, but Dunne’s sources say the rift between Rodgers and his family runs much deeper:

One source, who was close to Rodgers for years but is among the many who have since been cut off by Rodgers entirely, said the quarterback has not spoken to his family since December 2014. Don’t feel too bad, J-Mike. Immediate family members don’t even have his cellphone number. When Mom and Dad sent Christmas presents to the quarterback and his girlfriend that year, the source said, those gifts were mailed back in February. He was set to be the groomsman in the wedding of one of his closest friends, the source said, and texted the day before he couldn’t attend.

He didn’t attend his grandfather’s funeral—the same grandfather he once called before every game.

He fired a business manager he’s known since high school.

The family was told they were no longer welcome in Green Bay. If Dad wants to attend a game now, he buys tickets on StubHub or goes through another player’s family.
    Dunne then allows the disgruntled source of that info to allege that Rodgers has struggled on the field because of the state of his life off of it:

“There’s no explanation for him playing any worse,” said the source, who wished to speak under the condition of anonymity. “People are trying to figure it out. He’s a f—king head case. He knows he’s doing the wrong thing, and he’s so arrogant and prideful that he thinks he can separate his personal life from his professional life, even though all of us know that’s impossible. You can’t do that. You can do that in little spurts, like when Brett Favre went out and played amazingly when he loses his Dad. But when you’re talking about real situations that aren’t all of a sudden circumstantial and you f—k over good people, people you’re supposed to love, it’s a s—tty thing to do and you’re going to get humbled.
    The story is juicy but this part feels specious. If Dunne knows the source of animosity between Rodgers and his family, he doesn’t share that with his readers (the tabloids point to Rodgers’s girlfriend Olivia Munn). But it’s not uncommon for rich, famous athletes to cut off their family members, including their parents, and still be exceptionally productive players. The stuff about Rodgers having close relationships with some players and none with others may be more germane, but we also don’t know how common—or uncommon—that is in NFL locker rooms.

Rodgers’s head could certainly be out of the game. Or the franchise may be in crisis simply because a roster that was once the envy of the league is now in disrepair, and the coach charged with making up the difference is ill-equipped to do much more than ride it out one way or another.

Nonetheless, Aaron Rodgers’s life sounds, uh, interesting.

http://deadspin.com/report-aaron-rod...ium=socialflow

NFL Network ‏@nflnetwork 53m53 minutes ago
    BREAKING: Los Angeles Rams announce they have fired head coach Jeff Fisher.
    NFL Network ‏@nflnetwork 3m3 minutes ago
    UPDATE: Los Angeles Rams announce Special Teams Coordinator John Fassel will serve as interim head coach.
    I guess losing 42-14 did it.

NFL may fine Giants for illegal use of walkie-talkies

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 15, 2016, 9:25 PM EST

As the Giants help the NFL sweep Deflategate 2 under the rug, the Giants themselves are now the subjects of the next league investigation: Walkie-talkiegate.

The league is expected to fine the Giants for using walkie-talkies in violation of NFL rules during Sunday night’s win over the Cowboys, the New York Post reports.

During the game, the Giants’ coach-to-quarterback system malfunctioned, and quarterback Eli Manning couldn’t hear coach Ben McAdoo calling plays. So McAdoo used a walkie-talkie to communicate to the speakers in Manning’s helmet. That’s against league rules, because the NFL has to ensure that no communication is being made to the quarterback once less than 15 seconds remain on the play clock.

When the Cowboys saw McAdoo with a walkie-talkie, they asked the NFL to investigate. Cowboys Executive V.P. Stephen Jones said, “it’s obvious to everybody what happened, and my understanding is it’s being looked into and handled.”

The NFL has been so inconsistent in the way it handles rules violations that there’s really no telling what the league might do about this latest issue. A full-blown Ted Wells investigation seems unlikely, but if the Giants did break the rules, the NFL should act. If it doesn’t, it will be hard to escape the perception that the Giants are getting away with something.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...alkie-talkies/

I guess losing 42-14 did it.
    Based on the number of crappy play calls he made tonight, Fassel's tenure will be short lived.

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 123456781429 ... LastLast