Agree Agree:  89
Likes Likes:  71
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast

Thread: The NFL Thread

Re: The NFL Thread

Amari Cooper being traded from the Oakland Raiders to the Dallas Cowboys. For a FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICK. Because Jerry and the Cowboys positively suck at this. Happy this isn't my team because that's a massive overpay, reminiscent of the Roy Williams trade.
    Last edited by JazzNU; 10-22-2018 at 03:19 PM.

But remember: Jerry is in the HOF!!!! He knows more than anybody else in football!!!! Ever!!!!
    Yeah, that makes no sense.
    Starry starry night

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    But remember: Jerry is in the HOF!!!! He knows more than anybody else in football!!!! Ever!!!!
    Yeah, that makes no sense.
    I wonder how much THAT cost him?
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Amari Cooper being traded from the Oakland Raiders to the Dallas Cowboys. For a FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICK. Because Jerry and the Cowboys positively suck at this. Happy this isn't my team because that's a massive overpay, reminiscent of the Roy Williams trade.
    I've been a Cowboys fan since the early 80s and it's been a long, dark time.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

That would have actually been a great trade if they could've swung it for a second round pick instead, or at least got a couple lower picks in return. Cooper has been so hot and cold the last couple of years a fresh start should do him good.
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

Because the Browns like to prove they suck at this more than any other team, they fire head coach Hue Jackson today. Then fire "I cause conflict everywhere I go" OC Todd Haley. And then promote DC Gregg Williams to interim head coach. Gregg Williams aka the architect of the Saints Bounty Gate.

The NFL canceled the Mexico City game.
    As you know, I am not in the USA. So I get all my NFL games from ESPN LA and FOX LA. Because Mexico is the LA country where the NFL has a larger audience, almost ALL sportscasters and commentators in both networks are Mexican (FOX broadcasts from Mexico DF). From the very first TNF game, ESPN (who was to show the game) has been priming this game. Even Fox, which will not show it in LA, has been doing nothing but talk about it (therefore helping ESPN).
    So this cancellation is huge for Mexico. They are very proud of the Estadio Azteca and the fact that they were not able to get the field in proper conditions will hurt. I gather that having a Shakira concert one month before that, allowing people ON THE FIELD (plus the stands, of course) was not the greatest idea. The crowd mulched the grass.
    Last edited by ponchi101; 11-14-2018 at 06:35 AM.
    Starry starry night

With Alex Smith going down for the year and the Redskins still leading their division, they need at least a back-up QB. That is assuming they will keep Colt McCoy as their starter.
    One article I read says they are looking at Mark Sanchez as a possible signing.
    Are the NFL owners really so dumb that they can't see that every QB signing they make without even calling Kaepernick only adds to his collusion law suit? I really hope he takes them for like $1BB. And then buys one of the teams.
    Last edited by ponchi101; 11-19-2018 at 08:08 AM.
    Starry starry night

Mark Sanchez?! Really?
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Serious question, in the vein of learning. About Kareem Hunt.
    The video is clear cut. He punched and kicked a woman. My question is:
    This man was having a party and finds out that this woman (and maybe another) is underage. He proceeds to have her removed, precisely to avoid problems. The woman hurls a racial slur (hard NOT to know which one) and seems to be violent too, as there is the probability that Hunt and her are under the influence of alcohol. The attack occurs, and Hunt has a history of violence before.
    Was the insult hurled not a provocation? Certainly not something that merits the attack but at least an explanation of why it happened?
    Because where I am confused is this. The USA is a society where minorities, and specially African Americans, are assaulted at the least provocation. It is a society in which African American men are shot and killed at the slightest provocation (or no provocation at all) by law enforcement officers and then receive NO justice. So the USA is expecting AA Men to respond with the highest level of civility, thoughtfulness and decorum when attacked while they never receive the same benefits?
    Again, please understand my confusion. I don't see a symmetry here. Hunt is about to have his life shattered. But it is just that I can see how a young man, under the influence of alcohol, can react in the wrong manner when gravely insulted and lose the handle. Not an excuse to let him off the hook completely, but the swiftness of response by the NFL and KC Chiefs is not their usual procedure.
    My excuses if this offends anybody. I hope it is clear that I am not condoning violence against women. It is just that violence against AA men is so frequently accepted in America that I find there is no balance there.
    Starry starry night

I'm conflicted about it too ponchi and for all the reasons you give.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

He should have walked away. Because it was a situation he could walk away from. But to act as if there wasn't provocation or that this is similar in any way to a typical domestic violence like Ray Rice or Tyreek Hill situation is ridiculous to me. I don't see why they need to be painted with the same brush.

I'm always disturbed by how little people care about the racial slurs being slung around and thinking black people should just deal with it like discussing the weather when the use of the word alone is tantamount to throwing the first punch, because trust me when I say, that's what it feels like when that word is hurled at you. But hey, if 8 in 10 white people voting in MS apparently have no problems with lynching jokes by their senator, why should it surprise me that so many people only only care about one part of what happened in this video.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    With Alex Smith going down for the year and the Redskins still leading their division, they need at least a back-up QB. That is assuming they will keep Colt McCoy as their starter.
    One article I read says they are looking at Mark Sanchez as a possible signing.
    Are the NFL owners really so dumb that they can't see that every QB signing they make without even calling Kaepernick only adds to his collusion law suit? I really hope he takes them for like $1BB. And then buys one of the teams.
    And McCoy got hurt so Sanchez went in. The announcers repeatedly mentioned how few plays Sanchez could run (15?) and the Skins finished with 36 net yards for the second half.

And then today...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...lin-kaepernick

Instead, they are hoping to sign Josh Johnson. Last appeared in an NFL game in 2013, last threw a pass in 2011. Kaepernick isn't a good fit apparently because of his "skillset being too difficult"...instead they are signing players who have no skills? And this is a team one game out of first.
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

Not only that. The Redskins signed Reuben Forster. So it is clear: they do not mind a man with domestic violence issues. But taking a knee...
    (Still so puzzled. What is so offensive about taking a knee? But I know the answer. Taking a knee while black. BIG difference).
    Starry starry night

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Don't worry...they said they would've signed him if it was week 1! Can't sign a guy like that in week 14.

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast