Agree Agree:  119
Likes Likes:  94
Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: The NFL Thread

Re: The NFL Thread

I think the money is one part, his attitude another. It's been reported he wants a starting job. Let's say he adjusts his money demands and accepts a role that's lower on the depth chart. Do you trust him to be happy with that role and not kick up a fuss to be bumped up to a starter after a good performance from him or maybe the team is losing and he thinks if he's on the field, he can make it happen? If he had started this saying something other than him being a starter, this might have gone better for him. But as it is, it appears he needs to find the team that wants him as a starter, or the one who he can convince he won't become a problem as a backup.

FYI, Philly is in desperate need of a healthy WR. Jordan Matthews has been spotted at the Eagles complex today. So he's looking like yet another option over Dez as well. Though to be fair, Jordan will likely need much less time to pick up the offense, he's a former Eagle.

I can barely recall commentators, a broadcast in general, or an audience being downright gleeful about a concussion or injury. I understand Cleveland fans being excited about Baker and wanting to see him play, but this was a level of joy at a concussion that was completely inappropriate. Tyrod may not be the best QB ever, but he certainly deserves better than what happened tonight.

That sounds bad Jazz.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Colin Kaepernick is Nike's $6 billion man
    By KATE GIBSON MONEYWATCH September 21, 2018, 1:56 PM

The heat Nike has taken over its controversial advertising campaign featuring former NFL start Colin Kaepernick seems to have had another effect: burnishing the iconic brand's appeal to investors.

Nike shares have surged 36 percent on the year, making the company the top performer on the Dow's index of 30 blue-chip stocks. The run-up includes a nearly 5 percent increase since Nike's Labor Day announcement that Kaepernick would be featured in its campaign, adding nearly $6 billion to the company's market value.

The stock continues to hover near an all-time high, which it reached in mid-September only weeks after some Nike customers publicly burned their shoes to express their displeasure at the new ad.

In afternoon trading Nike shares were up slightly to $85.67.

For Nike, the boost eases concerns about the decision to link its brand to the controversial Kaepernick, who in 2016 started kneeling during the national anthem before games to protest racial injustice.

Nike knows its consumer base, which skews younger, said Art Hogan, chief market strategist at B. Riley RBR. "I don't think they just randomly decided to put this ad out, thinking, 'Let's commit political-correctness suicide'."

"People vote with their wallets, and the one clear winner in athletic apparel remains Nike," he said, comparing Nike to Apple in its ability to create demand by rolling out "must-have" products.

Nike did not return a request for comment on Kaepernick's compensation or whether it might be tied to the company's stock performance. But various media accounts peg his pay at millions a year, not bad for a football player no longer playing in the professional ranks.

2018 CBS Interactive Inc.. All Rights Reserved.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/colin-k...ource=facebook
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

I wonder: did Nike do this because of the finances? Or because of the morals?
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Both?

49ers take a big hit this week--Garappolo done for the season and Sherman out 2-3 weeks
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Finances

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    49ers take a big hit this week--Garappolo done for the season and Sherman out 2-3 weeks
    Sign Kaepernick!
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

I was wondering the same thing. Garopolo is done. Is there any available QB that knows the organization, that has a bit of a better record that CJ Beithard, a few more weapons, that could come and at least be on the bench and help in some manner?
    How is it that you spell COLLUSION? One L, right?
    Starry starry night

I also read earlier this week that this latest injury can potentially screw up Sherman's negotiated-without-an-agent contract, and could cost him up to $6 million
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Kaepernick can't be worse than Eli. There is no way the Giants don't make that call and can deny collusion.
    Starry starry night

Kaepernick can't be worse than Eli. There is no way the Giants don't make that call and can deny collusion.
    They fined OBJ for saying pretty much the same thing.

You've likely seen the inspirational Gillette commercial featuring Shaquem Griffin. The one that airs on TV is very well done, but it's worth watching the extended one they have up online, the additional length allows for a lot more time to tell his story and show him overcoming adversity to get to the NFL.

Arizona Cardinals OC Mike McCoy fired mid-season from the same position for the second straight year in the row. Maybe stop hiring him? Just a thought, he's never been anything but underwhelming. Byron Leftwich is taking over OC duties.

Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast