Agree Agree:  119
Likes Likes:  94
Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: The NFL Thread

Re: The NFL Thread

If I were the father of any young boy playing football, I am on my way to Sports Authority to buy a basketball and a tennis racket:
    Doctors reportedly fighting to save Bears TE Zach Miller's leg after injury
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    If I were the father of any young boy playing football, I am on my way to Sports Authority to buy a basketball and a tennis racket
    Here's a story like that...except it was from after the injury...
    Vroom Vroom after injury

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

If I were the father of any young boy playing football, I am on my way to Sports Authority to buy a basketball and a tennis racket:
    Doctors reportedly fighting to save Bears TE Zach Miller's leg after injury
    That's more of a "fluke" landing that could happen just as easy in basketball at least (See Gordon Heyward last week.) Tennis therefore is best bet - although then the young boy might suddenly become "exhausted" if he plays a couple matches a month.

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    That's more of a "fluke" landing that could happen just as easy in basketball at least (See Gordon Heyward last week.) Tennis therefore is best bet - although then the young boy might suddenly become "exhausted" if he plays a couple matches a month.
    Thanks for the correction. I had forgotten the rigors of five star hotels in Europe.
    Starry starry night

Thanks for the correction. I had forgotten the rigors of five star hotels in Europe.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Andrew Luck will not play this season; Texans' Deshaun Watson may be done too
    Former No1 overall pick has not played since shoulder surgery in January
    Quarterback says he will return stronger after injury problems
    Houston rookie said to have torn ACL at practice on Thursday

Guardian sport
    Thursday 2 November 2017 20.37 GMT Last modified on Thursday 2 November 2017 22.13 GMT

The future of Andrew Luck, touted as a Hall of Famer when he was drafted No1 overall in 2012, is increasingly cloudy after it was confirmed on Thursday he will miss the entire 2017 season. Hours later, Houston Texans sources told NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport they fear their quarterback Deshaun Watson, who is breaking records for a rookie, has torn his ACL and will also miss the rest of the year.

Watson’s injury was apparently non-contact, and he is undergoing an MRI. Watson had exploded on to the NFL stage - last weekend he threw for 402 yards and four touchdowns against the Seattle Seahawks, who boast one of the best defenses in the league. He led the league in passing touchdowns, Total QBR and rushing yards for a quarterback. Houston also led the league in points per game with Watson as quarterback. The Texans will now turn to Tom Savage, who was underwhelming in his one start this season. The team had already lost their best defensive player – JJ Watt – for the season.

“It’s just unfortunate. It’s terrible news,” said Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman. “Feel terrible for him and his family. He had such a bright future. He still has a bright future but his rookie year is cut short.

Before Watson’s injury emerged, the Indianapolis Colts went as far as to deny that Luck’s career is in jeopardy. He had surgery on his shoulder in January but the area still feels sore and he visited a doctor this week.

“The consensus from all the doctors is to continue rehab, to be patient and continue rehab,” the Colts general manager, Chris Ballard, said on Thursday. “The shoulder is subjective and after a surgery everybody’s different, everybody rehabs at a different way. So we’re going to shut his throwing down and we’re going to continue to rehab. We’re going to continue hard rehab.

“We think for the long-term interest of Andrew this is the best course of action. I’ve heard all sorts of rumors about ‘career-ending.’ That’s not the case here. I’ve not got that from one doctor. Career-ending is putting him out on the field before he’s ready to play. That’s where you should be concerned.”

Luck said he hoped the experience would strengthen him. “I wish I was better and 100% this season, but that’s not the case,” Luck said. “I know I’ll be better from this. I know I’ll be a better quarterback, team-mate, person and player from this, and I’m excited for the future.”

Luck played every game in his first three seasons in the league, and improved in each one: in 2014 he threw for 40 touchdowns. But he only played seven games in 2015 after lacerating his kidney, and missed one game last season with a concussion. Some believed the Colts did not build a strong enough offensive line to protect a quarterback of Luck’s quality.

The 28-year-old now finds himself in a situation where there is no definite timetable for his return – his shoulder has bothered him since September 2015. The Colts coach Chuck Pagano said he was confident Luck would be back. “Andrew is frustrated. Andrew wants to be out there. Andrew wants to be fighting with his teammates. He’s a great warrior, he’s a great competitor and he’s a great player, one of the best in this league. He’ll be back. He’s going to get right. This is the right thing to do for him and the right thing to do for the organization. He’ll be back.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ime=1509659997
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

New images show Aaron Hernandez suffered from extreme case of CTE
    Dr Ann McKee said Hernandez suffered severe damage to key brain areas
    Images show damage to areas important to impulse control and behavior
    Hernandez, the former NFL star, killed himself in prison in April aged 27

Associated Press
    Thursday 9 November 2017 21.53 GMT

Former New England Patriots player Aaron Hernandez suffered severe damage to parts of the brain that play an important role in memory, impulse control and behavior, a researcher who studied his brain said Thursday.

Dr Ann McKee, director of the CTE Center at Boston University, said she could not “connect the dots” between Hernandez’s severe case of chronic traumatic encephalopathy, which is linked to repeated blows to the head, and his behavior. The 27-year-old hanged himself in April, while serving life in prison for murder.

But McKee said Hernandez experienced substantial damage to key parts of the brain, including the hippocampus which is important to memory and the frontal lobe, which is involved in problem solving, judgment and behavior.

“In any individual we can’t take the pathology and explain the behavior,” said McKee, who has studied hundreds of brains from football players, college athletes and even younger players, donated after their deaths. “But we can say collectively, in our collective experience, individuals with CTE and CTE of this severity have difficulty with impulse control, decision-making, inhibition of impulses or aggression, often emotional volatility and rage behaviors,” she said.

Hernandez hanged himself in prison days after he was acquitted in the 2012 drive-by shootings of two men in Boston and just hours before his former teammates visited the White House to celebrate their latest Super Bowl victory.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ime=1510269369

Richard Sherman likely done for the season with a ruptured Achilles.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    Richard Sherman likely done for the season with a ruptured Achilles.

On a play where there was minimal contact. I guess it shows at what speed these guys play the game.
    I have Larry Fitzgerald in my team. I left him out yesterday because I felt that against the Seahawks secondary AND with Stanton at QB, he would have a rough night. Before Sherman suffered the injury, Fitz had (not) scored me about 10 points. After Sherman went down, he ended with 34 points, 119 yards on the air. Kind of shows how important Sherman is for that secondary.
    Starry starry night

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

A bit of it was game situation too, with Seattle playing prevent at the end with a safe lead. Sure didn't hurt of course.

I know very little about football but that game plan for the Cowboys was not the smartest. Sure, you are not going to replace Elliot. he is truly special. But to abandon your running game totally was not smart. Morris ended up with 55 yards on 11 carries, which is not bad. And Atlanta knew that there would be no run so they covered every receiver and sacked Prescott as he kept looking and looking for them.
    If you were going to run by committee, fine. But run.
    Starry starry night

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

I know very little about football but that game plan for the Cowboys was not the smartest. Sure, you are not going to replace Elliot. he is truly special. But to abandon your running game totally was not smart. Morris ended up with 55 yards on 11 carries, which is not bad. And Atlanta knew that there would be no run so they covered every receiver and sacked Prescott as he kept looking and looking for them.
    If you were going to run by committee, fine. But run.
    Cowboys didn't run as much because the whole left side of the line was compromised by Tyron Smith's absence. Morris ran a lot early, but didn't go anywhere. Only when we were clearly behind in the second half did he get his longer gains. Of his 55 yards, I think 35 came from two plays in the second half.

What the Cowboys were not smart about was they needed to give Tyron Smith's replacement, Chaz Green, consistent help on the left side, and did not.

Former NFL player confirmed as 1st diagnosis of CTE in living patient

No need to say anything else. The players are nothing more than gladiators.
    Starry starry night

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Former NFL player confirmed as 1st diagnosis of CTE in living patient

No need to say anything else. The players are nothing more than gladiators.
    Estimates say nearly 30% of NFL players are going to end up battling Alzheimer's disease, or dementia. Who knows how many more with CTE.

Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast