Agree Agree:  1
Likes Likes:  14
    Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Verticalscope data breach

45m passwords stolen from VerticalScope forums in massive data breach

A hacker breached Toronto-based firm VerticalScope’s systems and stole 45 million records from its network of more than 1,100 websites and forums. The attack was reportedly carried out in February.

The company operates scores of major properties for automotive, sports, outdoor, health and hobby enthusiasts, including AutoGuide.com, Motorcycle.com, Boat.com, TennisUniverse.com, PetGuide.com andMothering.com.

More: http://thenextweb.com/insider/2016/0...a-breach/#gref
    Verticalscope is the company that owns and operates TennisForum.com and MensTennisForums.com. The advice they've given their members is applicable to TAT, and all online communities and websites:

To keep your account as safe as possible, we recommend that you regularly change your TalkAboutTennis community password, and that you use a unique password for each of your online accounts. Using the same password for multiple online accounts significantly increases your chances of being compromised. We recommend that if you were using (or are currently using) your TalkAboutTennis community password across multiple online accounts, that you change your password for such other online accounts.

Even though TAT's data has not been breached, It's just good practice.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Re: Verticalscope data breach

My TAT password is special.

hrmph - do I have to change it now?

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Only problem is that human ability to remember countless passwords is limited...
    Roger forever

Yeah, if someone could remember my Spotify password it would be greatly appreciated.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MJ2004 View Post
    My TAT password is special.

hrmph - do I have to change it now?
    You don't have to change it at all. To be honest I don't change my personal passwords unless I forget them and have to. I've had the same main password for 20 years, and the same TAT password since it opened. I have different variations of it, but they're all pretty much based on the same word/number combination.

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Only problem is that human ability to remember countless passwords is limited...
    For non-personal passwords, like TAT's server info, I use a combination of things like Dry's post above. I keep them in a file on my computer and whenever I have to log in to one of those things, I have to look it up then copy/paste it. Major pain.

I just thought I would be a responsible forum owner and post this thread.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    Yeah, if someone could remember my Spotify password it would be greatly appreciated.

Like most here I have countless accounts where password is needed, but only few are critical. Certainly the ones for my bank accounts, but those are supplemented by additional security features. Losing my primary private email account would also be very annoying. If something happens with work related accounts then it's a problem of our IT department.
    Roger forever

#nojinx

I've had the same TAT password since I joined. Not so with MTF or WTAw/TennisForum.

Last week I wnet to the site and couldn't get in for an entire day with no idea as to why. I finally set up a new account based on my old one and contacted one of the mods who fixed things for me. Some people were unable to log in for a few days.

I'm glad Kirk posted this. I don't think we'd ever have that kind of situation but I don't understand why anyone would hack a fan forum.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

*knocks on wood*

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    #nojinx

I've had the same TAT password since I joined. Not so with MTF or WTAw/TennisForum.

Last week I wnet to the site and couldn't get in for an entire day with no idea as to why. I finally set up a new account based on my old one and contacted one of the mods who fixed things for me. Some people were unable to log in for a few days.

I'm glad Kirk posted this. I don't think we'd ever have that kind of situation but I don't understand why anyone would hack a fan forum.
    Because you have never dreamed of hacking the forum after your ridiculous SP pick loses 14-16 in the fifth and the other option you thought of double bageled his opponent.
    Really?
    Me neither
    Missing winter...

This explains all the nude photos of me that have been posted from my account.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Keepass FTW! It's free and syncs on my windows, mac, and Android when I store the password file in Dropbox

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    This explains all the nude photos of me that have been posted from my account.
    Well, that explains like, half of them...

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I don't understand why anyone would hack a fan forum.
    I would have ALL THE MEDALS!!!