Agree Agree:  1
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Wimbledon Bracket Prediction Challenge 2016

I am proudly ahead of TATRandom in both draws. But I have a question: The scoreboard for each draw shows me ahead of no one BUT TATRandom, but the combined standings show me ahead of several other people. Who are they, and how is that possible? It doesn't really matter, but I'd love to know how they are doing worse overall than I am (I feel like I'm stinking up this contest as much as possible, especially when I was actually trying to do well......though this is typical of my "trying to do well" results). GH

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    I am proudly ahead of TATRandom in both draws. But I have a question: The scoreboard for each draw shows me ahead of no one BUT TATRandom, but the combined standings show me ahead of several other people. Who are they, and how is that possible? It doesn't really matter, but I'd love to know how they are doing worse overall than I am (I feel like I'm stinking up this contest as much as possible, especially when I was actually trying to do well......though this is typical of my "trying to do well" results). GH
    I don't help with running this, but I've done March Madness brackets forever. There are two things at play here I'd guess.

One, is that some people only put in one bracket for either WTA or ATP.

Two, you always have to consider the maximum possible score, not just the points accumulated. It can skew things in the beginning because it doesn't account for later results yet. For example, someone who chose Muguruza as a finalist or winner can still be doing great in the WTA side because at the end of the day, it's just one loss in the second round. But that result gets compounded later on since the maximum point total can't move further for her. Hope that makes sense, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by JazzNU; 07-02-2016 at 03:00 AM.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

That's basically it. Some people entered only one of the two (ATP or WTA) brackets. As alluded to, you can see who entered only one at this point by the "possible" point totals... most easily seen for now in the bonus category.

Only a single medal is being awarded this year for the top combined winner. But next year on I'm thinking about splitting it so top ATP and WTA winners each medal (and no more combined category).
    Last edited by James7; 07-02-2016 at 04:07 AM.
    I disapprove of this message

Well, so we can expect some unexpected winners....
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Who gets the prize for having predicted Nole losing before SF's?
    Roger forever

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

JazzNU, tolulops... And tatrandom. Two had Raonic , one had Mannarino. You can guess who.

Actually tatrandom wins for only one not putting him in quarters.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Let's take a belated look at some of the other round results.

Round 2:
    ATP highscorers: fastbackss, skatingfan, and tenedab all with 46 points
    WTA highscorer: dryrunguy with 42

Round 3:
    ATP highscorer: mysterX with 36 points (ahead of a big mass of 33 point scorers)
    WTA highscorers: Miles and Sluggo-13 with 33 points

At the current standings this morning pending a number of matches today, mysterX leads the combined score race. Just Michaels123456 and dryrunguy also remain ahead of the Collective bot.

With bonus scoring coming into play shortly, most should be able to bury the bots now. Good luck!

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Through the Quarters now.

mysterX has opened up a very healthy lead over the field in combined scoring.

On the ATP side tenedab leads mysterX by a single point with 169 points.

On the WTA end of things Omegadoom demonstrates extensive predictions strength with 145 points to JazzNU and Miles 143 totals, thanks in part to a very strong performance in the bonus category.

Bonus scoring as expected is better in the WTA than in the ATP as it's easier to guess or get close to best of three than best of five.

At the moment, mysterX seems to be the strong favorite to win the whole thing. But I said that about nelslus last time and that came down to the wire.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

With the completion of Women's semis scores have been updated again.

mysterX still holds onto the combined lead with a smaller buffer. Will it be enough?

A big pat on the back to mysterX, fastbackss, and FEBravo for getting both WTA finalists.

A few people on the Men's side are set to potentially reap benefits of the rarer Djokovic-less projected final. JazzNU had Raonic, pingponger, tolulops and treynealey have Federer there. All 4 of them have them projected against Murray.

Omegadoom had a very strong showing in the WTA bonus category leaving him barely ahead of others with stronger raw scores.

tenedab remains barely ahead of mysterX on the ATP side, thanks to the single extra point earned in the bonus category.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

And it comes down to the finals.

Scores have been updated.

tenedab sits atop the ATP, while Omegadoom sits atop the WTA, each with thin single point leads. But neither is assured of coming out on top of those respective brackets depending on the results of the finals. For the ATP, each of the top point leaders is actually vulnerable to others just below that didn't have Djokovic winning the tournament.

But in the medal awarding combined score race, mysterX has held onto the lead with strong performances in both brackets. But that lead has now narrowed down to 7 points ahead of second place. It's still possible to be overtaken by a few participants, though. Particularly with 10 bonus points still up for grabs. So we shall have to see.

Congrats to Omegadoom on winning the WTA side and mysterX for grabbing the overall win!!

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

A quick wrap-up question:

One last tournament for this opening year for the contest. If you have any feedback or suggestions I'd love to hear as always.

About the bots... I am considering allowing Collective and Highest to enter the bonus category rather than skip it. Just out of curiosity, mainly. My thought was to have one do the median game count, the other do the mean game count out of all of the human entries. Seem like an ok idea? Or is there a better idea that still keeps the spirit of the bot logic?

I agree with doing median and mean. That seems appropriate for the various bots.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with the contest, or needs updating. Before the first one earlier this year I was a bit flummoxed because you could continue to accrue bonus points, even if your selection was eliminated. I thought maybe should only get points if your pick is correct...but that just spreads out the field more and I think this adds some fun in keeping people around.

The one potential change that would be "interesting" in my view, and I am not sure how to do it (either scoring points wise or without you having to do it manually) is to provide a bonus in the early rounds if you predict an upset. For example, if you pick a seed to lose in the first or second round you get double points...or something along that nature. It would provide some incentive to not just pick the highest all the way through ("well I think the 31st seed might lose, but I am only 40-60 on it..."

I'm a big fan of this contest! My only negative feedback is that is seems bonus points are a crapshoot. Especially considering that you can accrue them without getting the correct participants. But I'll play regardless, thanks for putting this on!

Quote Originally Posted by pingponger View Post
    I'm a big fan of this contest! My only negative feedback is that is seems bonus points are a crapshoot. Especially considering that you can accrue them without getting the correct participants. But I'll play regardless, thanks for putting this on!
    I agree with this comment. Maybe the bonus points could be used as a tiebreaker when the prediction scores are even? But like pingponger said, I'll keep playing either way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast