Entry Form: Deadline Start of play Monday June 27th
    ATP: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...ment=Wimbledon
    WTA: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...ment=Wimbledon

Picks And Score Tracking:
    ATP: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...ment=Wimbledon
    WTA: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...ment=Wimbledon
    View Combined Scores: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...ment=Wimbledon

What Changed From Last Time?
    Just a couple meaningful updates. Your own brackets can now be redone from the picks tracking page ahead of the event deadline from the state you had them in (rather than redoing them from scratch).
    The giant table of data in the picks trackers now has fixed header and row names for easier browsing.

What is it?
    This is a separate prediction contest for Slam events. Predict the full brackets for ATP and WTA events, and earn bonus points in later rounds for guessing or getting close to game totals for matches from the Quarterfinals on. This IS a medal awarding contest. A single medal will be awarded to the overall score leader after WTA and ATP scores are combined.

How does it work?
    After the bracket is finalized and prior to the first round of play, participants select match winners for the full bracket. Additionally, participants are asked to guess how many games will be played in each of the QF, SF, and finals matches. Brackets for WTA and ATP events are separate.

Points are awarded as follows:
    Each correct bracket pick (having the correct player in that part of the draw) awards one point for each slot correctly filled for the first round. The second round results increase to 2 points each, third round 3 points each, and so on. This forms the majority of the overall prediction score.

Bonus points are awarded for how close you come to game totals in each of those matches. This is regardless of who ends up actually contesting them, so you can still earn points here even if your player picks are off.
    5 bonus points for getting the exact game count in that match
    4 for being within one game
    3 for being within 3 games
    2 for being within 5 games
    and 1 point for being within 7 games
    If a retirement takes place, the number of games played until the retirement is the 'correct' answer for that match, and a walkover is treated as playing 0 games.
    Prediction and bonus points are added together to form a final score for the event.

There will be a pick tracker so you can follow scoring as it occurs, complete with some plots of the data and breakdowns of choices in real time. Other player picks are not visible to you until after the deadline passes.

What do I need to do to participate?
    Nothing beforehand as long as you have a valid TAT account and are logged in.
    Entries will need to be made before the start of main draw play and a thread will be up in order to do that at least one day prior to the start of first round play.
    Entries may be redone as many times as you like up until the deadline (start of play the first day).

As before, any feedback is welcome.

This thread is intended for discussion and questions regarding the challenge.

Thanks!
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Re: Wimbledon Bracket Prediction Challenge 2016

And we're open!

(can't believe how easy that was)

yeah
    ALLEZ LES BLEUS
    second Decima of the year !!

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Reember to enter both WTA and ATP brackets, and to make the game count predictions for QFs on in order to maximize your chances!

Game counts will go toward your bonus score regardless of whoever is contesting the match in the end.

Good luck and thanks to Drop for giving me a hand with set-up this time.
    I disapprove of this message

Don't forget to enter!

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

bumpity...
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

<------ Announces his withdrawal from this contest due to brain cramp.....

LOL, I did the damned Tennis Channel racquet brackets nonsense. But, barring a change of heart* before I go to sleep- I'm just WAY too embarrassed** of, and, more importantly, annoyed to post my "choices" here.

I know I whined before Roland Garros- but, I really, REALLY!!!! have no clue how these draws are gonna go. I mean, when I don't even feel confident with my pick for Serena to win.....I'm hoping at some point in the near future we all can get a better handle on any consistent championship quality levels for players from both tours. Until then- THANKS as always for doing this contest, James (and drop for pitching in.) Hope y'all have "fun."

(*Assuming that nelslus ever had a heart, much less one that nelslus could change. )

(*AND of course, I'm far more embarrassed for the players. The WTA tour is way too much of a hotmess for my taste, and the ATP Tour is way too much of Novak & The Rest. Come on, let's see a few genuine contenders come forward here REAL soon....)
    Last edited by nelslus; 06-26-2016 at 10:08 PM.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

We will miss you nelslus. You were guaranteed to be ahead of my inaccuracy. I need to get out of the mentality of picking this like it's the NCAA tournament.

Anywho, I almost withdrew myself. I had picked all but 3 matches, went to type in a semifinal score, and accidentally hit a F-key instead of a number. It caused the page to erase itself. I was so angry I walked away for 30 minutes until I cooled down again to re-enter it...

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

A little slow out the gate for this contest due to some travel overlapping the start of the tournament. Thanks again to Drop for helping me out with the setup.

TATRandom has made it's slightly belated entry with no insight given about complete matches to it. Projected slam winners being Pella for the ATP and Cirstea on the WTA side. Also guessed first round upsets of both top seeds. Other bots will follow shortly (Highest and Collective).

Scoring has also begun and will be happening regularly during play (about every hour).

Good luck to all and thanks for joining us!

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Phew. TATHighest tends to be an odd chore for me. I'm always somehow surprised at the relative rankings of players. That is now in place.

And...

The TATCollective has now come online after assimilating all the data. Can you keep ahead of it, or will you be reduced to a mere piece of the collective, your experience and insight only contributing toward it's expected strong performance? Or do your riskier picks rebuffing common knowledge pay off?

I love this - thanks for taking the time to put it together!

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Hard to judge when to throw a update message up here given the mess rain has made in this tournament.

But it looks like round one scoring completed, so here goes:

On the WTA side, the round 1 high score goes to Oploskoffie with a stellar 50 points, followed closely by both PeterSkan and the Moz with 48 each. Barely keeping ahead of the omnipresent Collective (and Drop-shot and JazzNU) with 47 points.

On the ATP side only Drop-shot, Omegadoom, and tenedab edge out the Collective with high scores of 56 points in round 1. treynealey hanging in with the Collective itself at 54 points.

I do get a little thrill seeing the mass collecting of raw data sitting high in the combined scoring charts, if I'm being totally honest. The charitable interpretation is, of course, that our collected selves are strong! But I somehow prefer the nefarious view of the futile nature of struggling against the raw power of data collection.

Only Omegadoom represents singular humanities hope at the moment. Barely edging out the sentient mass of consciousnesses by a single point.

Resistance is futile. All will be one with the Collective.

[note again for full clarity, bots are just flavor in the contest that I get a kick out of. Not actual competitors]

How am I in first place overall

but then again this is early days indeed...

I'm feeling totally confident in my ability to maintain my nearly last place standing in each draw.....unless I slip to totally last place, which I fear is likely. I'm glad I don't take these things very seriously.....if I did, I'd be suicidal by now, adding this futility to my completely consistent YCWJ futility (which by the way, is alive and well at this tournament). GH

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    I'm feeling totally confident in my ability to maintain my nearly last place standing in each draw.....unless I slip to totally last place, which I fear is likely. I'm glad I don't take these things very seriously.....if I did, I'd be suicidal by now, adding this futility to my completely consistent YCWJ futility (which by the way, is alive and well at this tournament). GH
    As long as TATRandom doesn't overtake you you're doing something correct.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast