Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: French Open BPC Bracket Prediction Challenge

ALLEZ LES BLEUS
    second Decima of the year !!

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

I'm out of both SPs, 38th in Skancan and 2nd from last in you can't win jack... this is all I have left for RG now!

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

...with Rafa as my winner. I should just do predictions now and forget about contests for a week.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    ...with Rafa as my winner. I should just do predictions now and forget about contests for a week.
    I'm assuming that messed up a lot of brackets. I haven't looked yet, but it should make things dicey for those left in the men's pool as well.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

All four of us who had Rafa making final had him winning it. So us four are really screwed. Then, there are only four who didn't have him in semis - 3 Goffins and a GGL. So the 3 with Goffin are the only ones who may get a big gain from it.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Alright. Sorry for having to make a small trip away from watching this more closely for personal reasons. Just trying to get a bit caught up now. Scoring still kept up in the meantime in case you were paying attention.

A lot of shaking up occured. Currently just Miles and nelslus manage to maintain a lead over the Collective on the combined score front. Showing we do have a bit of formidable knowledge overall, and that only a few of us can outperform our combined insight. Go us!

The individual ATP and WTA brackets highlight some individual strong performances. On the ATP end nelslus and munchin currently both lead the way followed by weefunk. On the WTA side Miles holds a healthy lead followed by tolulops.

However, as bonus scoring will shortly become relevant, the lead can become a bit more mercurial. The main personal goals for all is to beat as many of the bots as possible in the end.

Good luck to all!
    Last edited by James7; 05-30-2016 at 12:11 AM.
    I disapprove of this message

.....WELL, I've enjoyed my brief time near the top- and even more briefly once at the very top. Halep losing, with me picking her to get to the final= I've gotta think that my chances are now shafted.

Still, this is a really fun contest.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

You're leading the ATP contest and second in the overall standings. Only a minority of players now have a live bottom half WTA finalist pick, too. Reaching the point where there's just as much bonus points up for grabs as remaining pick scoring, and pick scoring will be the more consistent of the two. In any case, you are still in a commanding position for taking the overall contest.

Or maybe you were just reverse-jinxing yourself here and I'm screwing that up now. Oops.

I designed the contest and still have yet to do as well as you have on both times out. Jerk.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Mr "I don't stand a chance now" is now sitting ahead of the pack by a few points. And is unlikely to lose that lead today with no one standing to gain prediction points from the last outstanding WTA match (but game count points still in play there).

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Also of note: patrick is the first to get a game count exactly correct with his predicted 39 games in the fourth (Murray) quarterfinal. Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post
    Mr "I don't stand a chance now" is now sitting ahead of the pack by a few points. And is unlikely to lose that lead today with no one standing to gain prediction points from the last outstanding WTA match (but game count points still in play there).

Berdych making the QF certainly has helped my cause. Last night I was thinking, DAMN, I picked the guy who last lost to Goffin love and love to make the QF against the (granted, fading) Ferrer. Phew!!!!

Still, I don't think I tend to do real well picking the # of games......
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

With the quarterfinals now complete we can take another look at the standings.

In the overall score race, nelslus holds onto a good lead. 6 points ahead of the closest competitor, the always strong performing Omegadoom.

With bonus scoring coming into play, almost anything can still happen, but nelslus' strong predictive sense has given him a higher theoretical ceiling than anyone else and picks don't vary overly much at this stage.

Taking a glance over the ATP and WTA individually, we see that nelslus' best lead is in thanks to his commanding ATP performance, where he enjoys a 5 point lead over patrick who just edges out Omegadoom at this point. weefunk has the second best raw score, but has missed out on bonus points.

On the WTA side, Miles is a mere 2 points ahead of both Drop-shot and James7, with both nelslus and Omegadoom lurking just behind that.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Tight race at the top. Tighter than I expected. Nelslus is hanging onto the lead by a thread ahead of stronger WTA and game count prediction performances of Drop-Shot and Miles. I haven't double checked, but I assume there's not a lot of pick difference there, so this will likely be decided by game counts in the finals in the end.

Tight race at the top. Tighter than I expected. Nelslus is hanging onto the lead by a thread ahead of stronger WTA and game count prediction performances of Drop-Shot and Miles. I haven't double checked, but I assume there's not a lot of pick difference there, so this will likely be decided by game counts in the finals in the end.
    NO KIDDING! Here James had been saying the odds were with me- AND look what happens. Other than dry (who goes on to win 500 medals after every time he first cries about how much contest trouble he is in ....), when I complain, I know that I'm right.

From a quick and OCD look on my part, it appears to me that a lot is riding for me with the women's singles final. From what I can see from a quick look at the "leaders", clearly when I completed this damned thing I thought the final was gonna be closer than the rest- I picked 27 games. Everyone else seems to be between 17 (munchin) to 22. (Wayland had Kerber winning, so that does him no favors.) IF the match has many games, I get rewarded. If not....odds are, I'm contest-doomed.

It's interesting with the men's. Drop at 42 games, me at 40, Omega at 38, Munchin at 39. Miles gets a big advantage if Murray wins- the only one I can see with this pick (and at 36 games.) THEN, we have some disparity. Ten and Dave have 50 games, Omess has 47....and Wayland has 29- which would give him a big advantage if this is a blow-out final. (Albeit, again, Kerber ain't helping him.)

I'm all the more not feelin' so good about my chances. AH well- this all has been fun.
    Last edited by nelslus; 06-03-2016 at 12:27 PM.

Taking a glance over the ATP and WTA individually, we see that nelslus' best lead is in thanks to his commanding ATP performance, where he enjoys a 5 point lead over patrick who just edges out Omegadoom at this point. weefunk has the second best raw score, but has missed out on bonus points.
    Really wish I had noticed that whole "bonus points" instruction :-) Still, a very fun contest, thanks to the organizers for running it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast