Agree Agree:  20
Likes Likes:  18
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: The Sports Doping Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Drop-shot View Post
    IMO caffeine is taking it too far. What next, theobromine? (chocolate) After all it's a caffeine related alkaloid...
    I think so too, but when I try to come up with a hard line for what should be allowed or not, I can't seem to do it. Do we think caffeine is silly because 95% of us have some daily? If we weren't all consuming it, and then read the above description, would we think it should be disallowed? Or do we think it's ok because it's a natural substance? Like cocaine or ephedrine... oops!

Honestly, I don't know where to draw the line.

PUBLIC DISCLOSURES

The IWF reports that as a consequence of the IOC’s reanalyses of samples from the 2012 London Olympic Games, the samples of the following Athletes have returned Adverse Analytical Findings:

AUKHADOV, Apti (RUS) – Dehydrochloromethyltestosterone, Drostanolone (S1.1 Anabolic agents)
    KOSTOVA, Boyanka (AZE) – Dehydrochloromethyltestosterone, Stanozolol (S1.1 Anabolic agents)
    PODOBEDOVA, Svetlana (KAZ) – Stanozolol (S1.1 Anabolic agents)
    SAZANAVETS, Dzina (BLR) – Drostanolone, Stanozolol (S1.1 Anabolic agents)
    SHKERMANKOVA, Maryna (BLR) – Dehydrochloromethyltestosterone, Stanozolol (S1.1 Anabolic agents)
    KALINA, Yuliya (UKR) – Dehydrochloromethyltestosterone (S1.1 Anabolic agents)
    ZHARNASEK, Yauheni (BLR) – Dehydrochloromethytestosterone, Stanozolol, Oxandrolone (S1.1 Anabolic agents)
    MANEZA, Maiya (KAZ) – Stanozolol (S1.1 Anabolic agents)
    ILYIN, Ilya (KAZ) – Dehydrochloromethyltestosterone, Stanozolol (S1.1 Anabolic agents)
    CHINSHANLO, Zulfiya (KAZ) – Oxandrolone, Stanozolol (S1.1 Anabolic agents)

In line with the relevant rules and regulations, the IWF imposed mandatory provisional suspensions upon the Athletes, who remain provisionally suspended in view of potential anti-doping rule violations until their cases are closed.

Following the IOC’s decisions, the IWF will be in a position to take over the results management of these cases.

The IWF will report the current standing of the Beijing reanalytical cases as soon as possible.

Should it be determined in any of the cases that no anti-doping violation was committed, the relevant decision shall also be published.

The IWF will not make any further comments on the cases until they are closed.

http://www.iwf.net/2016/06/15/public-disclosures/
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

WADA TO REVIEW YULIYA EFIMOVA CASE & ASKS LAB EXPERTS TO LOOK INTO SALT LAKE ‘ERROR’
    June 16, 2016 - Craig Lord

The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has placed a negative test turned positive in the Yuliya Efimova meldonium case under review and asked its Laboratory Expert Group to look into an ‘error’ made at the Salt Lake City laboratory.

The California-base Russian 100m breaststroke World champion this week called on WADA to suspend the Salt Lake City facility accredited by the International Olympic Committee, saying the facility had caused her “irreparable harm”.

The heart of Efimova’s complaint is that she was locked out of Russian Olympic trials by a temporary suspension imposed on her by FINA after a series of positive tests in February ended in a negative result on March 2.

On April 13, WADA, faced with more than 100 meldonium cases, announed that athletes found to have less than 1 mcg of meldonium in doping tests carried out before March 1, 2016, should be allowed to compete again pending research into how long after consumption the banned substance remains detectable in the human body.

Efimova** met that criteria and requested that she be free to race Russian nationals in May. FINA insisted on retaining the temporary ban, however, “mainly due to the sequence of testing results of Ms Efimova”.

Whether that refers to the March 2 test or a January out-of-competition test remains to be seen but Efimova now questions all Salt Lake City analysis after being informed on June 3 that her March 2 test result was not negative for meldonium after all but was in fact ‘positive’.

Efimova, who tested positive for DHEA in 2013 and was subsequently handed a 16-month suspension, has written to WADA to say:

“Such negligence committed by the laboratory in Salt Lake City, not only violated the provisions of ISL 2015, but caused irreparable harm to me, because of a false negative result of the laboratory, my temporary suspension was not lifted in time and I lost the chance to qualify for the Olympic Games at the national championship. This means that it is not just a ‘false-negative’, it should be seen as a ‘false-positive’ when assessing the compliance of the laboratory in Salt Lake City Status ISL 2015.”

On the advice of WADA, FINA lifted Efimova’s temporary suspension in late May but her case remains open.

Ben Nichols, WADA spokesman, tells SwimVortex: “The case of Ms. Efimova, which is being handled by FINA, is still ongoing in light of the recommendation WADA provided in April regarding how organizations should pursue Meldonium cases.

“We acknowledge the concerns Ms. Efimova has in relation to the handling of her case. This matter, which is currently under review, will also be transferred to our Laboratory Expert Group for further consideration.”

Efimova argues that Salt Lake facility findings cannot be trusted: “It is obvious that after my story with false-negative sample surfaced, one cannot trust any results obtained by the laboratory staff in Salt Lake City, at least, the results of related meldonium. The only way to restore this trust – a public inquiry of the laboratory in Salt Lake City, which can be carried out both by law enforcement and disciplinary bodies, revealing and putting forward the charges of a crime or violation of professional rules, committed in connection with the lack of professionalism and negligence of employees in the laboratory, which are actually jeopardized my performance in Rio 2016.”

What any inquiry cannot alter is the fact that the swimmer tested positive on several occasions for a banned substance this year. Efimova was tested in January and it is believed there was no adverse finding. That may yet be significant in the case.

** – swimmer tested for banned substances on more than once occasion in career

http://www.swimvortex.com/wada-to-re...lt-lake-error/
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Russian athletes to miss Rio 2016 as IAAF upholds doping ban

https://www.rt.com/sport/347108-russ...-olympics-ban/

The news is out before the IAAF press conference at 11a Eastern

https://youtu.be/7-SrrOAfU-A

The NY Times is also reporting that Russian track and field athletes are banned from Rio by the IAAF

Russia’s Track and Field Team Barred From Rio Olympics
    By REBECCA R. RUIZ JUNE 17, 2016

Russia’s track and field team has been barred from competing in this summer’s Rio Games because of a far-reaching doping conspiracy, an extraordinary punishment that may be without precedent in Olympics history.

The global governing body for track and field, known as the I.A.A.F., announced the decision on Friday, ruling in a unanimous vote that Russia had not done enough to restore global confidence in the integrity of its athletes.

The International Olympic Committee, the ultimate authority over the Games, is due to discuss the decision on Tuesday. If Olympics officials were to amend the ruling against Russia, it would be an unusual move, as they have historically deferred to the governing bodies for specific sports.

The Russian ministry of sport said in a statement on Friday that it was “extremely disappointed,” adding: “We now appeal to the members of the International Olympic Committee to not only consider the impact that our athletes’ exclusion will have on their dreams and the people of Russia, but also that the Olympics themselves will be diminished by their absence.”

Russian track and field athletes have been suspended from international competition for the last seven months, after the publication of a report by the World Anti-Doping Agency that accused the nation of an elaborate government-run doping program. Though Russia denied those accusations, the country’s track and field authorities did not contest the suspension when given an opportunity in November.

Since then, however, Russian officials have striven to persuade global decision-makers that they can be trusted in Olympic competition, volunteering to go beyond standard eligibility requirements and to send only athletes who have not been disciplined for drug use.

To allow athletes without a history of drug violations to compete – as the I.O.C. may discuss on Tuesday – could prove controversial. The sophistication of Russia’s operation, whistle-blowers have alleged, has made athletes on steroids appear to be clean, be it through surreptitiously swapping out incriminating urine samples or imbibing drugs with liquor to minimize the period during which they can be detected.

On Friday, hours before the vote, Russia’s sports minister, Vitaly Mutko, made a final appeal, releasing an open letter to the I.A.A.F. that had been sent privately on Wednesday. “Russia fully supports fighting doping,” Mr. Mutko wrote, invoking stricter penalties and independent drug-testing of Russian athletes that had been conducted by authorities from the United Kingdom in recent months.

Those overtures were not enough.

In general, nations have been barred because of geopolitical considerations, not doping. After both world wars, the losing nations were kept out of the next Games. South Africa was barred from 1964 to 1988 because of its policies of apartheid. Yugoslavia was prevented from entering team events in 1992 because of United Nations penalties over the war in the Balkans.

Days before Friday’s vote, the World Anti-Doping Agency released information calling into question the credibility of Russia’s reforms. The agency said the testing authorities from the United Kingdom, in collecting urine samples, had been threatened by members of Russia’s Federal Security Service and that many athletes — a significant number of them track and field competitors — had evaded authorities to escape being tested.

Many athletes outside Russia had agitated for the vote to happen as it did. In recent weeks, Olympians have called on sports officials to conduct further investigations into the extent of the cheating of which Russia has been accused, extending across the spectrum of sports.

“Athletes have been losing sleep,” said Lauryn Williams, a track and field and bobsled athlete from the United States. “You can’t have faith in anybody who is Russian.”

Whistle-blowers have provided further details on the clandestine doping scheme the report described. Fearing for their safety, at least three of them have fled to the United States.

In Los Angeles, Russia’s former antidoping lab director Grigory Rodchenkov told The New York Times that he had worked for years at the direction of the Russian government to ensure the country’s dominance in international competition.

He said he provided a three-drug cocktail of banned substances and liquor to sports officials, who in turn provided those drugs to the country’s top athletes. According to Dr. Rodchenkov, Russian athletes took that cocktail of anabolic steroids to prepare for the last Summer Olympics, in London in 2012. They stopped taking the drugs one or two weeks before they were due to be tested, he said, to avoid being caught.

“If you’re fighting doping, Russia should be withdrawn from the Olympics,” Dr. Rodchenkov said in Los Angeles last month. “Doping is everywhere. Many people in Russia don’t want to tell the truth. Lies and fear are absolute.”

Russian authorities have vehemently disputed Dr. Rodchenkov’s account, calling it the “slander of a turncoat.”

It is unclear whether the I.O.C. can or will overturn the I.A.A.F.’s blanket ban when it meets on Tuesday. The I.O.C.’s president, Thomas Bach, has emphasized in recent weeks “the difficult decision between collective responsibility and individual justice,” suggesting the possibility that the I.O.C. can allow Russian athletes with clean histories to make it to Rio.

Still, Mr. Bach has also emphasized a “zero-tolerance” policy and said that if other Russian sports organizations are proved to be ridden with state-sponsored cheating, they, too, could be kept from the Olympics.

“Time is of the essence,” Ms. Williams said.

Katie Uhlaender, a skeleton racer from the United States, said it was difficult to react to Friday’s decision knowing the I.O.C. could amend it next week.

“If there are Russian athletes that can prove beyond reasonable doubt that they’re clean, let them compete,” she said. “But I literally started crying at the details of the Sochi scandal,” she said, referring to Dr. Rodchenkov’s account of having substituted out Russian athletes’ dirty urine.

Ms. Uhlaender placed fourth at Sochi, losing by four-hundredths of a second to a Russian athlete.

“I’m fearful they’re not going to do anything about Sochi,” she said. “You put decades of your life into something with faith that people are playing by the same rules. I can’t imagine being a summer athlete right now.”

She wondered about the implications for winter sports, suggesting that because the current ban was sport specific, track and field athletes who also competed in winter events like bobsled or skeleton might focus on the chance to compete at the 2018 Winter Games.

“What does it even mean to ban Russia?” Ms. Uhlaender said. “Is sending them to their room or putting them in a timeout going to solve the problem?”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/18/sp...imes&smtyp=cur

It should be noted the IAAF has not confirmed any of these news reports. They were supposed to 30 minutes ago.

The live stream is now active but the press conference hasn't started yet.

Press conference starting now for those who are interested.

Russian journalist (I missed her name) asks about fairness to punish all for failings of some and if politics was involved in the decision.
    Coe advises decision was unanimous and that system is so corrupt that it's hard to tell who is clean and who is not in Russian athletics.

Considering it is a COUNTRY vs COUNTRY competition, why should the IOC allow some athletes to compete and others not, if the country system is corrupt?
    Those that are clean can still compete in other personal competitions.

---0---
    Very surprised to see this. I thought the IOC, already facing other problems in Rio would find a way to twist some arms and get the Russians in. They certainly don't care about sports integrity, after all.
    Starry starry night

But the IOC does care about the way the Olympics are perceived, particularly during the games, and if Russian athletes test positive during the games it will hurt the imagine of the games and move the focus of the media away from competition.

US sports journalist posted this:

Ben FischerVerified account
    ‏@BenFischerSBJ
    Hightower: "We do not believe that every Russian athlete cheated, and it is unfortunate and regrettable…” that some innocents get caught up.
    Reply:
    @Olyphil
    12m: With chance to have 4x1 relay with 3 who had dope bans coached by ex-doper, @usatf better stay out of glass houses

Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil 9s10 seconds ago
    The sort-of Solomonic @iaaforg decision on Russia creates bureaucratic quagmire (Who’s “demonstrably” clean? What is “outside” system?)
    I think it has to do with Stepanova's case. Some of the questions were unintelligible so the answers made no sense.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast