Agree Agree:  34
Likes Likes:  28
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: Scalia Confirmed Dead at 79

Any suggestion from those Republican primary primates that Obama should wait and let the next president nominate a new justice is ludicrous.

Is supreme court very powerful in Argentina as well?

Such institutions exist also in Latvia and Switzerland, but I can't recall any recent instances of them being of importance outside purely legal sphere. In fact in Switzerland constitution specifically forbids the Supreme court from reviewing acts of Federal parliament.
    Roger forever

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Robert Reich
    ‏@RBReich
    My mole in the White House tells me Obama will nominate 46-year-old Judge Sri Srinivasan, an Indian-American... http://fb.me/OIJ3ynFU

EDIT: Nicholas Kristof tweeted pretty much the same thing apparently.

The guy sounds very good, but no. Nominate and get another woman. The SC must be balanced. And the ninth vote must be gay.
    It is the only area of government in which you could achieve such equilibrium.
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Is supreme court very powerful in Argentina as well?

Such institutions exist also in Latvia and Switzerland, but I can't recall any recent instances of them being of importance outside purely legal sphere. In fact in Switzerland constitution specifically forbids the Supreme court from reviewing acts of Federal parliament.

It certainly has similar power on paper, but for a long time it lacked the social and political gravitas of the American one.

It doesn't help that as an institution it's been manipulate by several Peronist governments.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

No Autopsy Ordered for Late Justice Scalia
    LUCIEN BRUGGEMAN
    Updated 2 hrs 5 mins ago

The body of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia has arrived at a Texas funeral home a day after he died while on a hunting trip.

Chris Lujan of Sunset Funeral Homes in El Paso said the body of the late justice arrived early Sunday. Scalia had been staying at the Cibolo Creek Ranch in Presidio County, Texas, during a quail hunting trip, said federal officials. He was 79.

Presidio County Judge Cinderela Guevara, who pronounced Scalia dead, told ABC News the death certificate will say the cause of death was natural. She said no autopsy was necessary.

Guevara said she talked to Scalia's doctor in Washington, D.C., who told her he had been sick and had been at his office Wednesday and Thursday before going on the hunting trip Friday.

According to Guevara, Scalia told his group Friday at dinner he was not feeling well and went to his room early. He then missed breakfast and lunch Saturday and was found unresponsive in his bed.

Guevara said deputies called her at 1:50 p.m. CT.

Scalia, who was appointed to the high court by former President Ronald Reagan, was the longest-serving justice on the current bench of the Supreme Court, having taken his seat on Sept. 26, 1986.

Despite calls from conservatives for his seat to not be filled until a new president was elected, President Obama said Saturday he intends to nominate a replacement before his term ends.

ABC News' Jim Avila contributed to this report.

http://abc7.com/news/no-autopsy-orde...calia/1200239/
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren · 1 hr

The sudden death of Justice Scalia creates an immediate vacancy on the most important court in the United States.

Senator McConnell is right that the American people should have a voice in the selection of the next Supreme Court justice. In fact, they did — when President Obama won the 2012 election by five million votes.

Article II Section 2 of the Constitution says the President of the United States nominates justices to the Supreme Court, with the advice and consent of the Senate. I can't find a clause that says "...except when there's a year left in the term of a Democratic President."

Senate Republicans took an oath just like Senate Democrats did. Abandoning the duties they swore to uphold would threaten both the Constitution and our democracy itself. It would also prove that all the Republican talk about loving the Constitution is just that — empty talk.

https://www.facebook.com/senatoreliz...arren/?fref=nf
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Rhetoric question: last year of Bush presidency and the most liberal justice dies. If I remember correctly Democrats controlled Senate at that time. What would they have done?
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Rhetoric question: last year of Bush presidency and the most liberal justice dies. If I remember correctly Democrats controlled Senate at that time. What would they have done?
    Man, I bet that when you were a little kid you went around with a stick poking at hornets' nests.
    I just bet
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Man, I bet that when you were a little kid you went around with a stick poking at hornets' nests.
    I just bet

I'm personally totally unaffected by all this mess. For me it's just a political theatre so I'm more free to consider questions like this.
    Roger forever

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is interesting. About his 2013 swearing in ceremony. Shouldn't be an issue, but then again...

Sri Srinivasan sworn in as judge of top US court

Excerpt: Sri Srinivasan was on Friday sworn in as judge of the second most powerful court of the United States, making him the first Indian American to be on the bench of the U.S. Courts of Appeal for the District of Columbia Circuit.

Chandigarh-born Mr. Srinivasan, 46, whose parents migrated to the United States in 1970s, was sworn in the oath of office in an overflowing court room of US Courts of Appeal for the District of Columbia Circuit by Justice Sandra Day O’Connor, in presence of legal luminaries, friends and families.

Gursharan Kaur, the wife of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, was present on the occasion when Mr. Srinivasan took the oath of office on the Gita with his mother Saroja Srinivasan holding the holy book for him.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle5174263.ece

It should not be an issue, but you know it will.
    I wonder how that oath goes. At the end, does he say "so help me GODS" or does he invoke a single one (which would be fine as long as he does not invoke Shiva The Destroyer)
    Starry starry night

This could be a major issue for "Sri". Hinduism is one of many non Western religions where multiple gods are served under the umbrella of a Supreme deity. It's never called "animist" like many similar religions found in other parts of the world though.

I'm hearing some names thrown around though. The NY Times mentioned the following women:

Patricia Ann Millett (D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals): Age: 63. Millett was a legend in Supreme Court advocacy, having argued 32 cases at the high court. She is a consummate SCOTUS insider, in the vein of John Roberts. She is also married to a military reservist and has been a strong supporter of military families. Millett is nobody’s bomb-thrower.

ETA: She's a Harvard Law grad

Jacqueline Nguyen (9th Circuit Court of Appeals): Age: 51. She was born in Vietnam and moved to the United States when she was 10. She has served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Central District of California, and in the U.S. Attorney's office. She was confirmed to the district court in 2009 with a 97-0 vote.

(summaries are from the article Dry posted yesterday in post #44)

I would've thrown Kamala Harris in but I think the Democrats have other plans for her.

Looking at the list again why not this guy?

Robert L. Wilkins (DC Circuit Court of Appeals): Age: 53. Wilkins, an African American who was raised by a single mom, has a law degree from Harvard Law School, and served as special litigation chief for the D.C. Public Defender Service. Wilkins gained attention for civil rights battles he has waged, including a precedent-setting fight against police racial profiling in Maryland, and for his work on the National Museum of African American History and Culture.

If a candidate really wants to be on a Supreme court, is it smart from his/her point of view to accept invitation now when chances of being confirmed are so close to zero?
    Roger forever

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Looking at the list again why not this guy?

Robert L. Wilkins (DC Circuit Court of Appeals): Age: 53. Wilkins, an African American who was raised by a single mom, has a law degree from Harvard Law School, and served as special litigation chief for the D.C. Public Defender Service. Wilkins gained attention for civil rights battles he has waged, including a precedent-setting fight against police racial profiling in Maryland, and for his work on the National Museum of African American History and Culture.
    That's why not.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast