Agree Agree:  91
Likes Likes:  127
Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 12345671328 ... LastLast
    Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: The Olympics: Rio 2016

This is really cool.

For the first time, a team of refugees will compete in the Olympics

The 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro will start in the traditional way: athletes marching in under the flags of the nations they're representing. But a new team this year will have no flag and no country to call their own.

A team of refugees will be competing in the Olympics for the first time this year, amid a refugee crisis that the UN estimates numbers 20 million (with an additional 40 million people displaced within their own country). The total number of refugees worldwide is larger than the combined populations of Sweden and Israel.

Among those 20 million people forced to leave their countries, the International Olympic Committee, which approved the team Wednesday, has so far found 43 athletes who are potentially eligible for the Olympics competition. The team will march under the flag of the IOC, which donated $2 million earlier this year for sports projects to help refugees.

Only about 10 will probably end up actually taking part. The IOC identified three possible contenders in 2015, including a Syrian swimmer now living in Germany, an Iranian taekwondo competitor in Belgium, and a Congolese judo competitor in Brazil.

Refugees will also take part in another part of the Olympic Games: the journey of the Olympic torch from Olympia, Greece, to Rio. A refugee will carry the torch through a refugee camp in Athens a symbolic gesture given Greece's role as both the birthplace of the Olympics and ground zero of the refugee crisis in Europe. More than 100,000 refugees have already arrived in Greece in 2016 alone.

http://www.vox.com/2016/3/3/11151870...ugees-2016-rio

Some good news for a change.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Some good news for a change.
    Indeed. But I hope none of them specialize in outdoor water events.

I think this belongs here given the wider-reaching implications, and timing of the new ban in an Olympic year:

"a 2015 study revealed that 724 of 4,316 Russian athletes tested were found to have meldonium in their system"

Source - BBC, I'll post the link to the full article in the Sharapova thread.

The bigger picture:

Russian athletics has ‘steep hill’ to climb to make Olympics, says Dick Pound
    ‘My guess is that Russia may not make it back for Rio,’ says ex-Wada chief
    • ‘They seem to be just changing deckchairs on the Titanic’

Russian athletics is not devoting “enough energy” to rid itself of doping and has a “steep hill” to climb if it wants to compete at this year’s Olympics, according to Dick Pound, the investigator whose devastating investigation into Russian track and field led to it being suspended from international competition.

“There seems to be some evidence that they’re just changing deckchairs on the Titanic,” Pound told an anti-doping conference in London. “My guess is that Russia may not make it back for Rio. The IAAF and the World Anti-Doping Agency are not going to risk their reputations by rolling over and playing dead.”

Full article here: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...ics-dick-pound

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Drop-shot View Post
    I was incredibly surprised by how lazy (in lack of a better word) they were. I was there this January (high season) and the only restaurant at the place I was staying stopped serving at about 10:30 PM and takeout only lasted a while longer. They could've made a killing by staying open but no.

*please note that a normal restaurant in these latitudes closes no sooner than 1AM, much less on a vacation spot during high season.

Also, the shopping mall didn't open on Sundays until 1PM! I was shocked.
    The shopping mall issue might be tied to religion? Everything is closed on Sundays in a lot of Central Europe fro the same reason.

Yeap, all shops closed here by law Sundays except in train stations and airports.
    Roger forever

That is absolutely the case in Brazil and other countries in South America. Things many not be closed, but there are restrictions or adjustments on Sundays.

Used to be that way in the US in many states, they are called blue laws, but that has changed greatly over the last 30 or so years. Though in several states, there are still reduced or restricted retail hours and restrictions on alcohol sales on Sundays.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

The restaurant issue might be related - like liquor license or noise ordinances.

There's not the same culture of urgency/workaholics, probably, as there is in the US and some other countries, but I haven't had any particular issues with Brazilians I work with (in our Brazil office) not doing their job/being lazy. The small cultural differences probably do add up on a national level, though.

Colleagues from finance complain a lot about horrible inefficiency in our Brazilian and Argentinian offices, but then again they complain about pretty much any office including the central one here.
    Roger forever

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Colleagues from finance complain a lot about horrible inefficiency in our Brazilian and Argentinian offices, but then again they complain about pretty much any office including the central one here.
    I work with most major world countries and by far the most lackadaisical colleagues, on average, are in our Swiss office (even the workaholics that send 2 am emails seem to work 4 days a week).

I personally work only with Indians and British. The former always say yes, but their work is not that valuable. The latter just talk a lot.
    Roger forever

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    I work with most major world countries and by far the most lackadaisical colleagues, on average, are in our Swiss office (even the workaholics that send 2 am emails seem to work 4 days a week).
    I was about to take it back because of a couple colleagues who are extremely hardworking in that office.... then I remembered they're not originally Swiss.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    That is absolutely the case in Brazil and other countries in South America. Things many not be closed, but there are restrictions or adjustments on Sundays.

Used to be that way in the US in many states, they are called blue laws, but that has changed greatly over the last 30 or so years. Though in several states, there are still reduced or restricted retail hours and restrictions on alcohol sales on Sundays.
    I remember the blue laws. You could go to the grocery and buy food on Sunday, but if you wanted to buy, say, a measuring cup, you couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    The restaurant issue might be related - like liquor license or noise ordinances.

There's not the same culture of urgency/workaholics, probably, as there is in the US and some other countries, but I haven't had any particular issues with Brazilians I work with (in our Brazil office) not doing their job/being lazy. The small cultural differences probably do add up on a national level, though.
    I'm guessing that the highly educated and motivated folks you work with differ from the general populace on their work ethic.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 12345671328 ... LastLast