Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: UPDATED Women's Picks & Results: AOSP

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    Try Osaka-Strycova.
    You kid, but Osaka just broke to start!

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Midi Golf Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion, Quick Words Champion, Yeti Sports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    You kid, but Osaka just broke to start!
    Osaka was scary good in the Svitolina match. I had never seen her play before. But hopefully Vika will re-establish order.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Osaka was scary good in the Svitolina match. I had never seen her play before. But hopefully Vika will re-establish order.
    Hope so, because Vika is just the kind of indefensible, prickly player that I like.

Like what I'm seeing so far from Osaka. But I also distinctly remember saying that about Lukas Lacko five years ago.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Correspondent Kiu View Post
    Who cares about beating the draw if they have never won one of these?

Half of the field took Maria and other half took Belinda(save few other pickers), so they are all going to pick the other come by tomorrow?
    Then half of those pick Annika, another quarter pick Konta...
    No wonder we're down to 17 contestants.
    Konta wins and Annika is about to....these are the picks that often win you an SP - by getting to save the higher ranked people everyone else picked.

I briefly considered Muguruza, but thought that picking Beck was just about as risky, so I went with Beck. I didn't thing I had seen enough to be confident enough in Garbine, and had thought I would take Azarenka against her IF I survived that long since I felt pretty good about Vika coming out ahead in that matchup. Don't have to worry about it now.
    Last edited by Jeff in TX; 01-23-2016 at 12:01 PM.
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Midi Golf Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion, Quick Words Champion, Yeti Sports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

With Lepchenko's loss we are down to 10. And heaven help the TATeur who even considers taking Madison Keys on Day 8.

With Lepchenko's loss we are down to 10. And heaven help the TATeur who even considers taking Madison Keys on Day 8.
    Why is that? Seems to be a pretty good choice albeit if I were alive I would go for Kerber. Even safer and much more likely to lose in the next round.
    Roger forever

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Why is that? Seems to be a pretty good choice albeit if I were alive I would go for Kerber. Even safer and much more likely to lose in the next round.
    Because Zhang is playing ferocious ball and isn't missing much at all. It's gotta end at some point for her, but I would hate guessing when.

Because Zhang is playing ferocious ball and isn't missing much at all. It's gotta end at some point for her, but I would hate guessing when.
    Let me be your cautionary tale. I thought as a qualifier she might be out of gas, overwhelmed by occasion ... nope. Should have chosen Kerber or Makarova, but I was playing to win, not to survive one more day.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Heh...the hard part of tournaments is everyone left is undefeated and "playing well" (usually at least)

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    Wow. Sorry for Mugu pickers. I was just saving her in case she beat Vika. More sorry for myself because Vika-Mugu was going to be my popcorn match this weekend. Now what am I supposed to get excited about? Kerber-Beck? Ana-Keys?
    i think i picked her can't quite remember. is there an official check? thanks! g
    “If you can meet with triumph and disaster and treat those two impostors just the same”
    R. Kipling

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by glarange View Post
    i think i picked her can't quite remember. is there an official check? thanks! g
    You did. You can see at #2 post in this thread.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

And we are down to 10! Congratulations for getting this far in such a bloodbath pool! So, what did our remaining players decide to do?

Well, all but one honed in on two key matches: Daria Gavrilova vs. 10) Carla Suarez Navarro and 5) Maria Sharapova vs. 12) Belinda Bencic. One elected to take Agnieszka Radwanska.

Honestly, none of these are a bad pick at all. Let's break it down:

Daria Gavrilova (4): jazzyg, lbk77, mcbride10s, and vexchaps clearly believe in the fiery, lower-ranked youngster to pull off the upset. She's quite likable, and she's playing a night match in front of a saucy home crowd eager to give her their unswerving, alcohol-fueled support. Plus, she's coming off some fabulous wins earlier in the draw, though her last match again Mladenovic went deep into the third. Did that fill her will even more confidence? Or perhaps this is really a pick AGAINST...

Carla Suarez Navarro (2): dolphins343 and frost went with the seeded player in this matchup. Carla does have a win over Gavrilova dating back to the Asian swing of 2014. But that was a different Gavrilova. And Carla is well-known in TATland for letting us down when we need her to win what OUGHT to be a winnable match--like me, 44 others, DAY ONE of last year's Australian Open Suicide Pool... Oh, perhaps I shouldn't bring that up. In any case, I guess we'll see. Fun fact: The last time Carla played Radwanska the Greater, the presumed opponent in the next round, it was on the fast hardcourts in Miami in 2015--and Carla won in three.

Maria Sharapova (2): In the other match on the remaining players' minds, dollymix and Jeff in TX went with the seasoned, higher-ranked veteran. Sharapova and Bencic have never played. And history would suggest that, if Sharapova can pull this win off, an almost certain drubbing awaits her in the next round.

Belinda Bencic: (1): pfj1976 was the lone soul to pick Bencic. Her wins over Serena and Halep in Toronto last summer carry weight, no doubt, and she has shown she likes a big stage. But save one event last fall, she hasn't done much since then--until now. Also, if she manages to get through this match, she's already shown she can beat Serena once--so it's possible she could do it again.

And that leaves:

Agnieszka Radwanska (1): JazzNU chose Radwanska the Greater. All indications are this is a sure pick to get through to Day 8. Is JazzNU banking on a Gavrilova win, thinking Gavrilova has at least two wins left in this event? Perhaps JazzNU thinks Serena will lose to someone from the bottom half in the final? That thought has crossed my mind. In any case, it's a lot of fun to see someone taking a different path to beating the draw.

So our numbers will decrease again for Day 8. The only question is... What will that number be?

Good luck, everyone!

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Bencic is out. Down to 9.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Before anyone asks... No. No one left in the pool has used Friedsam. I mean, why would they?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast