Agree Agree:  4
Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: 2016 Reading Challenge/Log

I have been making a concerted effort to clear off my bookshelf before buying any more books, so last January, I started at the A's and have worked my way up to the H's. This has suddenly become problematic, as my next three on the shelf are Roots, Dianetics, and that scintillating urban planning classic The Death and Life of Great American Cities. In addition to being weighty in subject matter, they also all clock in at more than 500 pages.
    Last edited by JTContinental; 01-19-2016 at 07:32 PM.
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    I have been making a concerted effort to clear off my bookshelf before buying any more books, so last January, I started at the A's and have worked my way up to the H's. This has suddenly become problematic, as my next three on the shelf are Roots, Dianetics, and that scintillating urban planning classic The Death and Life of Great American Cities. In addition to being weighty in subject matter, they also all clock in at more than 500 pages.
    I was just about to post about how I'm reading alphabetically (but by author) too, with the same purpose of clearing off my 4 to-read shelves. Of course, it's not going so well because I just got a box of books from Russia today (taking advantage of that exchange rate!).

Where am I?
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

My friends and I are participating in a Harry Potter-themed trivia night in early February on my birthday (also the birthday of one of my friends on the team) so I took it upon myself to re-read the series in preparation. I have several books I want to get started but they have to wait. I'm through the first 4 to this point.
    I'll miss you!

I have been making a concerted effort to clear off my bookshelf before buying any more books, so last January, I started at the A's and have worked my way up to the H's.
    I have set myself the same target this year, to clear all purchases before I acquire more (or to conclusively discard to my cannot-be-read pile). My target last year was 30 and I go to about 40, so aiming for a target of 40 this year. About to begin No 3 (Midnight's children).
    I like a lot the crazy bounce

Quote Originally Posted by tolulops View Post
    I have set myself the same target this year, to clear all purchases before I acquire more (or to conclusively discard to my cannot-be-read pile). My target last year was 30 and I go to about 40, so aiming for a target of 40 this year. About to begin No 3 (Midnight's children).
    One of my favorite Rushdie books.
    My Happy Place

With rare exceptions I only read books on Kindle these days so no bookshelves to clear.
    Roger forever

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

6. Getting Into Guinness, Larry Olmsted

This is a fun book for anyone who used to be a teenager marvelling at that guy in India with the 4 foot long fingernails...

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

7. The War of Art, Steven Pressfield

Highly recommended for the procrastinator, but especially the creative type who struggles with getting started.

via @PabloK
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

I have only done 2 so far, both YA books
    1. The Emerald Atlas
    2. The Secret Order of the Gumm Street Girls
    although I did crank through the The Testing trilogy (The Testing, Independent Study, and Graduation Day by Joelle Charbonneu) over Christmas. My goal is to intregrate a bit more balance in what I read, but also to keep up with all of our magazine subscriptions until they run out. That seems to be challenging enough. I'm shooting for 26.
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

8. The Outsider, Jimmy Connors

I have finished my second book of the year--Roots--and am now on to Dianetics.
    This is not the bouquet you toss

I'm starting my third straight Walter Mosley Easy Rawlins mystery. After that I'll take a break from the series and read a new Patricia McKillip fantasy.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

9. The Real Animal House, Chris Miller
    “I put in the work and wanted it so badly but this guy is the best for a reason. He is such a complete player ... maybe I'll just punch him or something, I don't know.” - Andy Roddick

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

I have finished my second book of the year--Roots--and am now on to Dianetics.
    Is Xenu on his way yet?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast