Agree Agree:  4
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

2016 Reading Challenge/Log

I remember there used to be a few of these around here, and I happen to be challenging myself to read 52 books in 2016, so I thought I'd fire this up and anybody who wants to can use it. I got into the 30's last year but I figure a little bit of social pressure might help me stick with it through the summer months when I'd rather just nap by the pool

1. Thinking Fast and Slow, Daniel Kahneman
    2. Maus Vol 1, Art Spiegelman (a couple graphic novels because the first book of the year was pretty heavy)
    3. Maus Vol 2, Art Spiegelman
    “I put in the work and wanted it so badly but this guy is the best for a reason. He is such a complete player ... maybe I'll just punch him or something, I don't know.” - Andy Roddick

Re: 2016 Reading Challenge/Log

Maus you can read in about two days (it is pretty good). Thinking fast and Slow will take longer. It is very, very good, but easy reading it is not.
    I would love to take this challenge up but I know I will never again read 52 books in one year again. My concentration is not the same, and I would really need to get rid of TV (which I would, if it were not for my GF).
    Plus, I am spending too much time correcting Suliso here to have the time to read all I want.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Do audiobooks count?
    I disapprove of this message

I read a fair bit, but 52 I think would be a stretch. I do have other hobbies as well
    Roger forever

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    I read a fair bit, but 52 I think would be a stretch. I do have other hobbies as well
    Haha, me too, I just got motivated a few years ago to stop wasting time and always be doing something I want to be doing. Even if that's relaxing, as long as it's earned. So I've been playing more board games, watching more movies, cycling more, skiing most weekends, learning to sail, playing piano/guitar, going to the gym, podcasting. So I try to read at least half an hour a day, which gets me through almost a book a week.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post
    Do audiobooks count?
    Whatever you like. I'm just logging, not competing
    “I put in the work and wanted it so badly but this guy is the best for a reason. He is such a complete player ... maybe I'll just punch him or something, I don't know.” - Andy Roddick

I reread one of my favorite fantasy series last year so that gives me about 32 books.

I real one non fiction book.

A book of historical fiction.

I just finished "The Girl on the Train" and I'm trying to start another fantasy series. I can't say I'll do as much reading as I did last year but I can try.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

I've been setting myself a goal of 52 books a year, but have been tracking it on Goodreads. I actually managed to hit 60 last year. A book a week remains my goal for this year.
    My Happy Place

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

4. The Works - Anatomy of a City, Kate Ascher

This one and Kahneman are books I started over the holidays, so really only read the 2nd halfs this year. In case someone thought I was a speed reader I am decidedly not.

I was on a book award committee last year for the American Library Association and I think I had to read over 200 books. That wasn't the frustrating part - the frustrating part was that I was forbidden from discussing the books in contention, 'cause there were some great ones. I'm rolling over and I'm on the committee for this year too, so I'm in the same boat. So I won't be posting here, but I'll be with you all in spirit
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

I did 52 books in a year in 2013, and it was very stressful to keep up. The last couple of years I've been hovering around the 40 mark.

I track all my reading on Goodreads, so if any of you have a profile there, feel free to add me (Jeremy Hurd-McKenney).
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

I do mine on Goodreads as well. I beat (just by a hair) my goal of 35 last year, but I noticed I was consciously opting for shorter books at some points, so I brought it down to 30 this year.

Wimbledon Enthusiast
    Awards Showcase

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

I did about 5 or 6 last year with the goal of starting and completing a book before I could start a new series on Netflix. Obviously 6 isn't 52 but in a year of graduating and studying for the boards for two states I'll take it.

As far as 2016 goes, I've read 1 and have started another.
    Wimbledon '04 - US Open '06 - Australian Open '08 - French Open '12 - French Open '14

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    I do mine on Goodreads as well. I beat (just by a hair) my goal of 35 last year, but I noticed I was consciously opting for shorter books at some points, so I brought it down to 30 this year.
    Nothing wrong with short books! If they're on my "to read" list, I don't mind a little padding early on in the year, so I can read that giant Michael Palin Diaries book in the summer

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

5. Talk to the Hand, Lynn Truss

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast