Agree Agree:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2016 A Month in the Sun: The Yarra River Lounge

Welcome, one and all, to the annual edition of A Month in the Sun!!

This is where TAT's Fantasy Tennis season gets started, and we get the chance to get rid of that off-season rustiness and, perhaps, get an idea of where 2016 will be headed.

For those of you who are new to the game, or perhaps even to TAT: as many people can enter as they like. One team per person, though, and by all means: mingle!

Get to know the other players, find out what makes them tick, discuss the tournaments, complain about on-court clothing choices and get a drink (or two, or more if your choice goes down in flames) from our resident bartender.

Here's wishing all of us the best of luck!
    My Suicide Draw Pool avatar

Re: 2016 A Month in the Sun: The Yarra River Lounge

So if I've learned anything from medal counts...last team to post usually does good right? I didn't actually intentionally wait until last second ... I "lost" a player when I was looking at draw and wound up making a last second switch (that lonely Jovanovski pick) before finding my original player was still there all along post-deadline.

Here are the unofficial inital counts...love the variety in the D groups (7 teams before a duplicate) and E groups (9th team)

A: Djokvoic 20, Wawrinka 16, Federer 15, Sharapova, Radwanska 6, Halep 4, Muguruza, Kvitova 3, Kerber, Murray, Nadal, Anderson 2, Ferrer, Bacinsky

B: Ivanovic, Azarneka 12, Tomic 10, Paire 5, Wozniacki 4, Stephens 3, Bautista-Agut, Krygios, Kuznetsova, Goffin, Dimitrov 2, Jankvoic, Svitolina, Makarova, Chardy, Lopez, Sock, Stosur 1

C: Coric 12, Cibulkova 7, Bouchard 6, Konta 3, Brengle, Posposil, Vandeweghe, Beck 2, Bedene, Muller, Strycova, Gavriolova, Chung, Niculesu 1

D: Istomin 5, Gasparyan 5, Kokkanis, Kudla, Mchale, Tomljonovic 3, Mahut, Andujar, Allertova 2, Babos, Hibino, Haider-Maurer, Witthoeft, Lucic-Baroni, Punitseva, Stakovhsky, Darcis, Berankis, Haider-Maurer, S. Zheng, Shevdova, Pouille, Jovanovski 1

E: Hsieh, Konjuh 4, Darcis, Ostapenko, Nara, Granollers, Gulbis, Krunic, Riske, Arrubarrena, Berankis, Zverev, Bondarenko, Hantuchova, Kontaveit 1

21 teams total. No unanimous picks, although Djokovic was just one short.

And although she's just in qualies this week...our first contest player playing, D group "bandwagon" Gasparyan is promptly down 5-1. Let the fun begin. C Group Bandwagon Cibulkova is due up in a MD match in less than an hour.

Darcis is present in both D and E groups.

Hmmm... Looks like may have been a mispick.

There appear to have been 21 entrants into this contest. Therefore, my goal is to improve on recent performance in these "lead-up-to-majors" contests and finish in the top 20!!! With great diligence, I DO think top 20 is attainable.

GH

Quote Originally Posted by tenedab View Post
    Darcis is present in both D and E groups.
    Looks like this happened with Berankis as well.

Well at least it was the same person Must've meant to pick two D men and accidentally looked at The E men list.

Doggone it, Jelena.

Though, medal hunt aside, I wouldn't mind seeing Vinci finish out her final year with a title or two.

Wish I hadn't panicked and switched to Jovanovski now!

Darcis was a boneheaded pick no matter which category we thought he was in (speaking as the other person who chose him) -- dude had wrist surgery in December and pulled out of his AO preps well before the contest deadline.

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

So I listened to the people who posted about Makarova being ready for a big slide, and I swapped her for Ivanovic who has just lost to a British nobody, and Makarovas lucked out with Sharapova withdrawing. Last time I listen to you lot

3 players in Brisbane = 10 points
    2017 & 2018 Australian Open Champions

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

It appears that a lot of people went with three men in the A category to start. Looks like it was a good move, with top WTA picks Sharapova, Halep and Kvitova already out (joined by the most popular B woman, Ivanovic).

With the top men mostly only playing this week and spread out among three events ... seemed a much safer strategy to me. Next week we'll see how many of us change to two women...I was thinking about it, but all these WDs are scaring me...

Meanwhile, Ivanovic was the biggest bandwagon I didn't join and was a little surprised how many people went for her...had she been one ranking spot higher of course, no one would have taken her!
    Last edited by ptmcmahon; 01-05-2016 at 09:29 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast