• Thunder

0 0%
  • Clippers

0 0%
  • Some other team

1 25.00%

Thread: NBA 2015-16.

NBA 2015-16.

The NBA is about to start. The west has become even more impossible. The east is just simply a playground for Lebron to get to 68 wins and have home field for the finals.
    Who gets it? The Cavs will play whomever survives the probable Golden State/San Antonio nuclear war, after they beat a 52-games-won East finalist.
    Lebron gets ring number 3.
    Last edited by ponchi101; 10-25-2015 at 06:48 PM.
    Starry starry night

Re: NBA 2015-16.

I am going with a Warrior repeat.

Just a few days after blowing a 13 point lead against The Spurs (at San Antonio, so not such a big deal), the Cavs are blown away by the Warriors by 34. They led by as many as 43.
    So I guess the title goes through the West. Warriors-Spurs on Monday. Huge game.
    Starry starry night

Washington Wiz are struggling and half of the roster been injured.
    Not good times if you are a Wiz fan.

-------------------------
    Half-way through the season, Steph Curry is leading the scoring with 30 points a game, LeBron is trailing by a long way, now sitting at #5 with 25 points a game.
    DeMarcus Cousins(Center for Sacremento) has more points than LeBron.

I have lost faith in LeBron.

Lebron has been to the playoffs, and all the way to the finals, in the last 5 seasons. That in itself is like one extra season for him. Look at the Spurs: one year after losing in the first round, they are back better than ever. I guess it is no coincidence. They got almost 6 extra weeks of rest for Tim, Manu and Tony. The three are playing really well this year.
    As much as I dislike Lebron, you can't deny that not only the Cavs are nothing more than an appendix to him and Kyrie, the guy plays every game. Add the brutal finals, and the guy has to be beat up. Still. He needs like two weeks of rest before the play offs start.
    Starry starry night

NBA All Star Starting Lineups

THE EAST

Frontcourt

LeBron James, Cavaliers — After James took the Cavaliers to the NBA Finals last season, he has led the Eastern Conference in voting this season. An 11-time All-Star, James is shooting a career low 29-percent from the three-point line, but has also averaged 25.1 ppg, 7.2 rpg and 6 apg for the 29-11 Cavs, who are in first place in the Eastern Conference.

Paul George, Pacers — After suffering a compound fracture of his right leg during a USA Basketball scrimmage in the summer of 2014, George missed most of last season, before returning for the final six games. This season, the two-time All-Star George has played in all 42 of Indiana’s games, averaging a career-high 23.7 ppg, along with 4 apg and 7.4 rpg.

Carmelo Anthony, Knicks — Last season, shortly after appearing in his 10th NBA All-Star Game, Anthony had season-ending knee surgery. This season, Anthony is averaging 21.7 ppg in 40 games, and last night passed Larry Bird for 31st place on the NBA’s all-time scoring list. Anthony has assumed a leadership role for the rebuilding Knicks, who after winning just 17 games a season ago, are currently 22-22 and in contention for a playoff appearance.

Backcourt

Dwayne Wade, Heat — At 34 years old, Wade is a 12-time All-Star. After missing significant chunks of the last few seasons with various injuries, this season Wade has played in 40 of Miami’s 43 games. Wade is averaging 18.1 ppg for the Heat, who are 23-20.

Kyle Lowry — Thank the north. After making his All-Star debut last season and leading the Raptors into the playoffs, Lowry has been even better this season. Through 42 games, the 29-year-old Lowry is averaging a career high 20.9 ppg and 5 rpg, along with 6.5 apg.

THE WEST

Frontcourt

Kobe Bryant, Lakers — For the first time in his career, Bryant was listed among frontcourt players, and he ran away with the vote. A 17-time All-Star, this season has turned into an extended farewell tour for Bryant and the Lakers, who are 9-35 so far this season. Bryant is averaging 16.3 ppg in 36 games this campaign.

Kevin Durant, Thunder — Durant missed most of last season after suffering a foot injury, and underwent several foot surgeries. But this season the 27-year-old Durant has returned to form, averaging 26.5 ppg through 37 games for the Thunder, who are 32-12 under first-year coach Billy Donovan.

Kawhi Leonard, Spurs — The San Antonio Spurs have won five titles during the Gregg Popovich–Tim Duncan era, and while they’ve usually employed an understated form, it’s been hard to overlook them this season, as they’ve racked up a gaudy 36-6 record to start this season. The 24-year-old Leonard has been sensational for the Spurs, averaging a team-high 20.1 ppg as well as playing arguably the best on-ball defense in the NBA.

Backcourt

Stephen Curry, Warriors — Last season’s NBA MVP has been even better this season. A two-time All-Star, Curry has helped the Warriors get off to a 24-0 start while averaging a career-high (and NBA-leading) 29.9 ppg. Remarkably, Curry has done this while playing just 33.9 mpg, while shooting 51 percent from the field, 45 percent behind the three-point line, and 91 percent from the free throw line.

Russell Westbrook, Thunder — Westbrook scored 41 points in last season’s All-Star Game, winning the All-Star Game MVP. This season, the 27-year-old Westbrook has been as dynamic as ever, averaging 24 ppg, 9.8 apg and 7.1 rpg, along with a league-leading 2.5 steals per game.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

David Blatt fired as Cavaliers coach, per sources

ESPN.com news services

The Cleveland Cavaliers have fired coach David Blatt, sources confirmed to ESPN.

The title-hopeful Cavaliers lead the Eastern Conference at 30-11 but were blown out by the defending champion Golden State Warriors earlier this week. Blatt had lost support of the locker room over the past month, sources told ESPN's Brian Windhorst.

Cavaliers associate head coach Tyronn Lue has agreed to a multiyear deal to be the team's head coach, according to Yahoo! Sports, which also first reported Blatt's firing.

Blatt leaves the Cavaliers, his first NBA coaching job, with a 83-40 record. Cleveland lost to Golden State in the NBA Finals in Blatt's first season and LeBron James' return to the Cavs.

Cleveland started the season without Kyrie Irving and Iman Shumpert for the first two months because of injuries. Timofey Mozgov (knee) and James (back) also were less than 100 percent coming out of training camp.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14...avaliers-coach
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojVerticalNBA 3m3 minutes ago

Since last season, LeBron James and his agent Rich Paul have been strong advocates of Lue becoming head coach, league sources tell Yahoo.

See Ponchi, see what I am saying?
    Cavaliers are a team without identity, no way Lebron can win it with this bunch. Last year was their best chance.

The question this year is, who is going to beat Steph and company?

I think what made that blow out so bad was that a lot of people were saying the Warriors win last year was a fluke. No Kyrie. No Kevin Love. The spin was that once the team was back at full strength they, the Cavs, would blow the Warriors out of the water. That is yet to happen.

I don't know who this guy Lue is but talk about being between a rock and a hard place!

I think it's a disgrace that Draymond Green isn't a starter for the All Star game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I think what made that blow out so bad was that a lot of people were saying the Warriors win last year was a fluke. No Kyrie. No Kevin Love. The spin was that once the team was back at full strength they, the Cavs, would blow the Warriors out of the water. That is yet to happen.

I don't know who this guy Lue is but talk about being between a rock and a hard place!
    After LeBron said he was the best, late last season at end of play-offs, Steph has been on a mission to prove him wrong. Curry is the best right now, there are no arguments about that...
    LeBron may have been the best then, but now he has to navigate a team with big issues and a fired head-coach halfway tru the season.

It will be an interesting second half after the all-star break.

Cavaliers fire David Blatt, Tyronn Lue signs multiyear contract: 5 Things
    By Matt Moore | NBA writer
    January 22, 2016 5:14 pm ET

via CBSSports

The Cleveland Cavaliers fired coach David Blatt Friday, according to Yahoo Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski. CBS Sports NBA Insider Ken Berger confirmed the news. The move comes just four days after the Cavaliers were blown out by the Golden State Warriors in an embarrassing performance Monday night, and amid questions that the Cavaliers were simply not equipped to compete for a title with a star-laden roster.

Blatt had been hired prior to LeBron James' decision to rejoin the team in free agency last summer, and was praised as an "offensive genius" coming in, yet the team consistently lacked a strong offensive scheme and primarily relied upon isolation play from LeBron James and Kyrie Irving. There had been concerns since the tough start of last year that Blatt lacked the support of the locker room.

Blatt released the following statement:

"I am very grateful to have had the opportunity to serve as the head coach of the Cleveland Cavaliers. I'd like to thank Dan Gilbert and David Griffin for giving me this opportunity and am honored to have worked with an amazing group of players from LeBron James, Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love through the entire roster. I'd also like to express my extreme gratitude to my coaching staff. I am indebted to them for their professionalism, hard work, loyalty and friendship. I am proud of what we have accomplished since I have been the Head Coach and wish the Cavaliers nothing but the best this season and beyond."

The Cavs also released a statement:

Cleveland Cavaliers General Manager David Griffin announced today that David Blatt has been released from his duties as head coach. Associate Head Coach Tyronn Lue has been named Head Coach. The current Cavaliers assistant coaches and staff remain under contract and will continue working with the team.

“On behalf of the organization, I would like to thank David Blatt for his efforts and commitment to this franchise,” said Griffin. “He spent the last year and a half battling intense scrutiny, working to mold a very willful group and we all recognize that is not at all an easy task.”

“But with that said, when you have the clarity of purpose that our ownership has instilled in this entire organization, decisions often make themselves. Every decision made is an answer to the following question: does it put us in the best position to deliver Championships to Northeast, Ohio.”

“So, today, we are elevating Tyronn Lue, from his role as Associate Head Coach to Head Coach. I am more than confident that he will have the pulse of our team and the buy-in required to enhance the habits and culture that will foster the kind of identity and results we must have.”

Blatt was named the 19th head coach in Cavaliers history on June 20, 2014. During his one and half seasons as head coach, Blatt compiled a regular season record of 83-40 and a 14-6 mark in last year's playoffs.

“Over the course of my business career I have learned that sometimes the hardest thing to do is also the right thing to do,” said Dan Gilbert, Majority Owner of the Cavaliers. “Our ownership group supports David Griffin's decision. We would like to thank David Blatt for his work over these past two seasons where the Cavaliers transformed into a playoff team after a rebuilding phase. We believe Tyronn Lue is the right coach at the right time to put us in the best position to take the last but most challenging step to complete our mission to deliver Cleveland an NBA Championship.”

Per Berger, Tyronn Lue will take over as coach on a multi-year deal. Here's what you need to know about the decision to fire Blatt:

1. This decision was coming for a long time: The worst kept secret in Cleveland was that the players did not have David Blatt's back. There were constant murmurs of distrust and discord between the players and Blatt going back to the start of last season when the team slumped immediately out of the gate. Mike Miller (now with the Nuggets) even went so far as to say that Blatt was an "offensive genius" at the start of last season, but was among other players to reserve compliments, even after the team's run to the Finals.

It was bizarre to recognize the vibe around the team towards Blatt, even with the Cavaliers within two games of a championship. That uneasiness was why the team's decision to retain Blatt last summer seemed surprising, even after a Finals appearance. Instead, Dan Gilbert and GM David Griffin elected to stick with the same formula in the hopes that a full season together would change the course of the team.

Instead, the Cavs have been a relative disappointment. We say relative, because the Cavs are No. 1 in the East with a top-five ranking in both offense and defense, and they have reached those marks with Kyrie Irving having missed all but a month of the season. But this is all abotu expectations, and being No. 1 in the East and the odds-on favorite to make a second straight Finals appearance out of the East isn't enough this season. It would be one thing if the team had underwhelmed but there was a good vibe; instead, with the team unhappy on the sideline and the results not living up to expected standards, this was the move, regardless of the record.

2. Tyronn Lue is the new coach of the Cavaliers: As mentioned, Ken Berger reports that assistant coach Tyronn Lue has been installed as the permanent head coach on a new multi-year deal. The move isn't any more surprising than the firing of Blatt considering Lue was a candidate to get the job in the first place in the summer of 2014, having gone through multiple interviews before being installed as lead assistant under Blatt.

Lue is a former NBA player that has the trust and confidence of James and the team, a voice who the veterans will listen to and respect which is crucial given the massive leadership and preparedness issues the team has faced in key moments this season.

Lue is considered a high-level assistant and head coaching candidate, having learned offense under Doc Rivers and defense under Tom Thibodeau in Boston. His combination of coaching experience for championship-contending teams, along with an attitude and NBA familiarity that should resonate more with the players, makes him an ideal fit.

Would Tom Thibodeau have been a better hire? Maybe, but Lue has the trust of James and the other veterans on the roster, and the Cavs can't afford more uncertainty and instability with less than four months until the NBA playoffs begin. However, this move does strongly look like the kind of decision that was made at the behest of James.

3. LeBron James reportedly was informed, but not consulted: This seems an awful lot like something James would have wanted to be involved in. The Cavaliers point blank, flat out do not make this move without knowing 100 percent that James would support it. So either James was in fact consulted in some fashion, or he had made his feelings so clearly known that they didn't have to technically approach him about it.

James isn't to blame for Blatt's firing. James has been his usual brilliant self, and James has made strides in trying to change the narrative about he and Blatt's relationship, even if that narrative was accurate all along. Even in moments of affection between the two after wins, it seemed like the kind of thing you do when you're trying to force a relationship to be the way it should, instead of an organic extension of personalities.

James has constantly preached about what it takes to win a title and how the Cavaliers have been missing it. It's not talent, they have that in spades. It's not experience, even with younger players they have enough veterans to make a run. They've been missing an attitude and an approach, which is what James has harped on time and time again, even after wins this season. You have to wonder if that feeling was part of what led Cleveland to move on from Blatt.

4. The Warriors loss was the catalyst: The Cavaliers rattled off consecutive wins vs. the Nets and Clippers Wednesday and Thursday, but the conversation about the Cavs this week was all about the 34-point drubbing at the hands of Golden State. With an opportunity at home to show they were ready to hang with the champions, the Cavs were embarrassed in one of the most stunning losses this season.

This has become a bit of a pattern this season, in that teams following bad Warriors losses have gone into a funk. It took the Grizzlies weeks after a 50-point loss to get back to normal. Kevin McHale, who made the Western Conference Finals, was shelled by the Warriors twice and was fired. We've seen teams go through slumps following a bad loss to the Warriors. There's an affect disorder that seems to infect them as these squads look at Golden State and realize how big the gap is between them and the Warriors.

5. The timing is still not good: The playoffs are four months away, which seems like a long time, but you've got the week-long All-Star break coming up, and by mid-March you want your stability and position in the league locked up. There's not as much time as it may seem like and the Cavaliers just made a move toward drastic instability in a time when they need to really knuckle down and get through the slog of the season.

The move to hire Lue could bring a new mindset which could change everything, and there still could be a trade -- even, conceivably, of Kevin Love -- to shift they dynamic. But as rare as it is to see a team fire its coach the year after making the Finals, how often do you see a team replace a coach at midseason and then win a championship?

Either way, the soap opera surrounding LeBron James and the Cavaliers continues.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...ch-david-blatt

More on Lue and the Cavs confirming what everyone knew:

...Lue became the de facto choice of James and his management team when their top choice, former Golden State Warriors coach Mark Jackson, was ruled out by Cavaliers management, according to Wojnarowski.

When asked on Saturday what he'd do differently than Blatt, Lue said "I wouldn't say 'differently,' I would say 'better,'" per Dave McMenamin of ESPN.

Blatt came on board before LeBron James returned to town and helped establish Cleveland as an Eastern Conference power, so his job status always felt tenuous, even as the team was having success on the court.

Marc Stein of ESPN.com even noted that James seemed to be overriding Blatt during the NBA Finals against the Golden State Warriors last year.

"I saw it from close range in my role as sideline reporter through the Finals for ESPN Radio," Stein said. "James essentially called timeouts and made substitutions. He openly barked at Blatt after decisions he didn't like. He huddled frequently with Lue, often looking at anyone other than Blatt."

The Cavaliers may own the best record in the Eastern Conference, but they aren't building for that. They were the best team in the East last year, regardless of what the Atlanta Hawks' record in the regular season was, and it showed in the playoffs.

Cleveland is built for the postseason, with Golden State and the San Antonio Spurs looking like the big dogs on the block. James came back to the Cavaliers hoping to win a championship with the franchise in his home state.

Lue may not have any head coaching experience, but Cleveland has given him the keys to one of the best cars in the NBA. There are going to be a lot of expectations out of the gate, but he has a talented roster to help make this an easy transition.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...mming-national

I guess they will never learn (the Cavs). Why are the Spurs constantly in the mix? Winning over 50 games a season per default? Because they have a great coach, and they let him coach.
    And the players know who is in charge. So there are no ambiguities.
    Starry starry night