Agree Agree:  1
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Predictions: Singapore WTA Finals

Below is link to predict the WTA Finals in Singapore. All contest participants should predict. Predictions are due just under 4.5 hours from the time of this post.

http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...ASINGAPORE.htm Predictions will be due before play on Monday at 11 AM local (USA: Sunday evening at 11 PM EDT - 8 PM PDT)

Here are the finalists for the Road to Singapore Contest:

1. PtMcMahon
    2. Omegadoom
    3. Drop-shot
    4(tied). James7 and PeterSkan
    6. MysterX
    7. Miles
    8. Patrick

Alternates are E11even and OMess
    Last edited by patrick; 10-25-2015 at 11:34 AM.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Re: Predictions: Singapore WTA Finals

Timea Bacsinszky w/d due to injuring her knee in Luxembourg. Carla Suarez Navarro is now an alternate
    2017 & 2018 Australian Open Champions

Holy crap...these are due in a couple hours aren't they? I almost didn't check before going to bed...glad I did. At least I won't have time to overthink it.

That said...did we really only have a 4.5 hour window to get predictions in from when thread was posted? Now that I do the math ... am I even in on time? Neither WTA match has started so I assume so but I've been wrong about this in the past. If deadline was start of doubles match then we actually had less than 3.5 hours.
    Last edited by ptmcmahon; 10-24-2015 at 10:58 PM.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    Holy crap...these are due in a couple hours aren't they? I almost didn't check before going to bed...glad I did. At least I won't have time to overthink it.

That said...did we really only have a 4.5 hour window to get predictions in from when thread was posted? Now that I do the math ... am I even in on time? Neither WTA match has started so I assume so but I've been wrong about this in the past. If deadline was start of doubles match then we actually had less than 3.5 hours.
    Just go ahead and predict something. We'll figure it out later. Stay tuned for any potential updated guidance.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

That's what I did...been dreading a PM from Patrick ever since.

If you go by the doubles, the deadline should've been yesterday 11 pm EDT, if the singles then 3 am EDT.

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    That's what I did...been dreading a PM from Patrick ever since.
    Its coming.
    2017 & 2018 Australian Open Champions

I usually don't complain about too much, but only having a few hours to submit your picks, and on a Saturday night (when most people are out doing something, and on a day we rarely have to worry about making picks) is kind of unfair. I checked out the site earlier in the day, and nothing was up. I ended up missing the doubles deadline, but made picks before the singles began, only because I just happened to check out the site after midnight, when my wife and I got home from being out with friends, or I would have missed it all.

My 2 cents, for what that's worth, would be to open the link right now, and make the deadline for tonight (Sunday night), giving freebies for the Saturday night matches, thus giving everyone who missed that small window, all day today, a chance to submit something.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegadoom View Post
    I usually don't complain about too much, but only having a few hours to submit your picks, and on a Saturday night (when most people are out doing something, and on a day we rarely have to worry about making picks) is kind of unfair. I checked out the site earlier in the day, and nothing was up. I ended up missing the doubles deadline, but made picks before the singles began, only because I just happened to check out the site after midnight, when my wife and I got home from being out with friends, or I would have missed it all.

My 2 cents, for what that's worth, would be to open the link right now, and make the deadline for tonight (Sunday night), giving freebies for the Saturday night matches, thus giving everyone who missed that small window, all day today, a chance to submit something.
    This is being considered. We'll make a decision promptly.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegadoom View Post

If you go this route however there is a potential for people who followed the rules and submitted their picks correctly yesterday to miss the credit for the freebies if they don't check the site today. I think Patrick and Drop-shot can probably figure it out.

We've had shorter deadlines before and people have been screwed. Unfair to change the rules just as we approach the very end. Keep the deadline the start of doubles as it should be. After all Eleven got screwed at Wimbledon because the incorrect deadline was posted and the logic there was "you should have known Wimbledon plays all R-16 on Monday." By that logic we all should have known Singapore was starting on Saturday and should have been checking TAT for an impending deadline and picks thread.

This is also why I have always been a proponent of a single deadline each week for all predictions. That way there is no confusion on deadlines. Sometimes this would mean lots of freebies other times R-16 wouldn't be set but at least everyone would know when the deadline was.

I know this solution doesn't necessarily apply to year end finals when draws are set later in the week but it would solve the regular deadline problems.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Just realized these were due yesterday (hadn't seen a predictions thread opened for it previously). I made my picks without looking at results not knowing if they will count or not - now wondering if I should go "correct" them based on the initial results.
    My Happy Place

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Miles has a point. But, you have members from outside the US who were asleep before even the bracket went up (there was no thread at all). So, I think a logical argument can be made either way.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Due to our dropping of the ball on this one (Thanks to kandi for the heads-up in the other questions thread that it was imminent) the deadline for entries is extended to the start of play on day 2 (11PM today EDT; 8PM PDT), thus providing 2 RR freebies.

If we hadn't been missing multiple qualifiers a decision might have gone the other way.

I apologize for only realizing and making the bracket form so late.
    Last edited by James7; 10-25-2015 at 11:40 AM.
    I disapprove of this message

Just to re-state why we went this way:

- Qualifiers were missing but most importantly there were no brackets enabling people to submit their entries. In previous occasions where there've been "deadline issues" this was not the case since brackets had been available to submit. In this particular scenario we gave them no chance to enter predictions since brackets weren't available. People living outside the US hence went to sleep without this chance and woke up with an expired deadline.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast