Agree Agree:  20
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

The Speculation Thread

We have a Tennis Random, Random thread and a rankings thread and plenty of polls, but I thought it might be nice to have an area to speculate wildly on a variety of topics.

Here are some questions I have for us to discuss. Add your own!

Who will be the next YOUNG new slam champ (ATP or WTA)?

Who will be the next VETERAN new slam champ (ATP or WTA)?

Who will be the next player to come out of retirement and find some success (ala Henin, Clijsters, Hingis)? Why is this role reserved almost exclusively for women?

Re: The Speculation Thread

Who will be the next YOUNG new slam champ (ATP or WTA)?
    I see some players three or four years away. Chung and Zverev are the first to come to mind among the young ATP players. Zverev is tall but he has the movement the modern game calls for so he's not just a servebot. Chung, at 6', also has height and his game is steadily improving.

As for the WTA I don't know. I can conceive of Muguruza doing it if she sticks with Sumyk. She's the only one that's come really close. Halep can't handle pressure and gets brain freeze.

Bencic is emotional and winning 7 matches might be just beyond her now.

Who will be the next player to come out of retirement and find some success (ala Henin, Clijsters, Hingis)? Why is this role reserved almost exclusively for women?
    None of them. The physical demands are too much.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

WTA youngster: Svitolina is who'd I'd put a tenner on, though the first name that came to mind was Mladenovic.

WTA veteran: Safarova

Pennetta isn't sounding all that convincing yet about her impending retirement, but once the first bambino with Fognini comes along...

ATP: Sadly, Marcos Giron hasn't looked like he'll break into the top 100, let alone become the next Isner. Alas. I didn't realize Chung was ranked so high already, so yeah, have to agree with Ti Amie there. Veteran: Chardy. Yes, we're more likely to see bacon flying or Djokovic completing el calendar slam, but how many crystal balls had Cilic-Nishikori?

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I see some players three or four years away. Chung and Zverev are the first to come to mind among the young ATP players. Zverev is tall but he has the movement the modern game calls for so he's not just a servebot. Chung, at 6', also has height and his game is steadily improving.

As for the WTA I don't know. I can conceive of Muguruza doing it if she sticks with Sumyk. She's the only one that's come really close. Halep can't handle pressure and gets brain freeze.

Bencic is emotional and winning 7 matches might be just beyond her now.
    I think height is massively important when guessing which juniors+ will find success. Being average or short isn't that much of a weakness in the juniors, but it's a huge drawback on the main tour.

I agree that Bencic is too emotional. She seems very capable of huge wins but not necessarily consistency. She may need some more maturity.

None of them. The physical demands are too much.
    The theme with Henin, Clijsters, and Hingis was "retired young and without major health problems." The closest that would come to that in recent memory is Dementieva.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    I agree that Bencic is too emotional. She seems very capable of huge wins but not necessarily consistency. She may need some more maturity.
    Sure, but how many extra mature 18 year olds do we know? Bencic is by far the youngest of all somewhat serious slam contenders.

I agree about Muguruza being the top choice, but Madison Keys despite her current poor form is almost equally likely. Does Pliskova (23) still counts as young? I can see her winning as well.

For men it's harder to say, but there are some obvious longer term candidates: Kyrgios (jerk, but a lot of talent), Zverev, Coric and Chung. That's about really young ones. There are also some possibilities among 23-25 year olds.
    Roger forever

I'd like to speculate which champions are over. Sharapova is getting injured way too frequently. Vika can't get it back, it seems.
    Are Kvitova's physical problems more severe than we think? Has Rafa brought himself down with all this talk about not believing in his own game, because that sort of pondering have brought several guys down before (Wilander, Becker).
    What will be Novak's Achilles heel? Roger's has been his accuracy, Rafa has been his head (we thought it would be his knees and yet there they are).

Because the questions posed by Charlie.... I really have no idea. None.
    Starry starry night

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Agree about Sharapova...not counting Vika out yet. She showed some flashes this year, but not consistent enough...next year will be very telling.

I find it really hard to picture Novak not dominating the next few years...Murray may take a slam or two from him, but the young guys haven't taken a major step up to lead me to believe he'll be troubled by any of them. He may be luckier than Roger and Rafa that way.

I forgot about Coric. thanks suliso.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

I purposely didn't include Madison Keys. The talent is there but her game is still hit hard and harder and when that doesn't work for her she falls to pieces.

I got to see Tiafoe live at the US Open and I'm not including him in the future slam category because his game seems to be stagnating instead of maturing and he's so young. I've only seen Michael Mmoh on tv but I thing he may be more successful than Tiafoe. It's too soon to talk about Fritz of the US or FAA of Canada.

I purposely didn't include Madison Keys. The talent is there but her game is still hit hard and harder and when that doesn't work for her she falls to pieces.
    Would you have included Muguruza this time last year? Probably not. Maybe she never matures, but I really wouldn't want to bet money on that. Also I forgot Sloane Stephens. Even more of the head case, but there is a talent there as well.
    Last edited by suliso; 10-10-2015 at 10:47 AM.
    Roger forever

Would I put money on Mugu to get a slam someday? Yes. How much? A few pesetas.
    Then again, I would have put nothing but lira on Flavia. So maybe that will be the case.
    In the WTA, once Serena retires, you will see like 15 different slam winners, one after another. That, I would bet $$$'s
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Would you have included Muguruza this time last year? Probably not. Maybe she never matures, but I really wouldn't want to bet money on that. Also I forgot Sloane Stephens. Even more of the head case, but these is talent there as well.
    Good point about Garbiñe. No I would not have included her but she has to be in the discussion now. Her old coach said her success went to her head when she fired him and she tried with Conchita Martinez in New York but it looks as if she's hit paydirt with Sumyk. Aga almost upset her today and the player I saw in NY would have been upset. Sumyk was so excited at the end it was shocking. He usuall goes for the stoic "I knew she'd do it" reaction.

Sloane? Potential but she's still too full of herself although she does seem better working with Saviano.

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Would I put money on Mugu to get a slam someday? Yes. How much? A few pesetas.
    Then again, I would have put nothing but lira on Flavia. So maybe that will be the case.
    In the WTA, once Serena retires, you will see like 15 different slam winners, one after another. That, I would bet $$$'s
    I'd put a lot of pesetas on Mugu not only winning a slam, but winning one next year
    Mary, queen of shots

For 2016 two Swiss ladies will be in top 10 and that's in singles, the Swiss already have doubles locked up.

Also in 2016, Hingis will try her game playing singles.

I feel confident that Muguruza is almost there, and she should do really well at Wimbledon in her career.

On the mens' side, I don't really see anyone poised to break out, but I think Taylor Harry Fritz could have a good chance of getting to the top.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast