Agree Agree:  20
Likes Likes:  18
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Re: The Speculation Thread

She turned 35 right before Wimbledon this year. If she doesn't get it at 36, she's not going to stick around expecting her chances to be better the next year. She's now the oldest player in the top ten since Navratilova in 1995. Her longevity is already insane. I think one more year will be more than plenty for her. I think the comment in this interview actually supports that. She's stuck around because she didn't want to end her career barely seeded, lucky to make the 3rd round at slams. She won't wait until she's back at that point to stop.

We could always make some 'avatar bets' on it.

Some former greats did play so long that they became totally irrelevant (Hewitt, Chang), but I guess it's a minority.
    Roger forever

There's a quote on the WTA site from the same presser that basically says she's still hungry and has no plans to dip out anytime soon, so I guess it's all in the way you spin it. She's always been so mysterious about her health and retirement plans, so who knows what she's actually thinking?
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

I'm convinced she's made the decision to say "I'm going to play for a long time" until she's very close to retirement. She was asked about retirement constantly for a long time. It was at least a few years ago when she said she intended to play Rio in 2016 and it sounded absolutely ridiculous.

Perhaps we should make an individual thread or a poll since this topic is starting to pop up in multiple threads.

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Can I speculate Louisa Chirico will make top 20, and Laura Robson top ten?

Wow, I know you like to place the odd quid every once in a while on some matches, but how much would you place on that? Specially Chirico?
    Starry starry night

If I had to make a bet on Laura Robson reaching the top ten at some point in her career or not, I would choose not. I can see her having a Lisicki-esque type of career. I think she's not fast enough or tactically sound enough for a consistently high ranking. I expect lots of ups and downs, with each year having plenty of good scalps and plenty of silly losses. She might hit her peak just inside the top 15, but won't stay there for a huge amount of time. I think Madison Keys will accomplish more than both and peak just inside the top ten, but have a similar trajectory.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    If I had to make a bet on Laura Robson reaching the top ten at some point in her career or not, I would choose not. I can see her having a Lisicki-esque type of career. I think she's not fast enough or tactically sound enough for a consistently high ranking. I expect lots of ups and downs, with each year having plenty of good scalps and plenty of silly losses. She might hit her peak just inside the top 15, but won't stay there for a huge amount of time. I think Madison Keys will accomplish more than both and peak just inside the top ten, but have a similar trajectory.
    Substitute Heather Watson's name for Laura Robson and you're still correct.

I'm beginning to have my doubts about Madison fulfilling her potential.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Keys will be in the top 10 for sure. I think you all are giving way too much weight to the most recent results.

About Chirico I have no idea as I've never seen her play, but the bet on Robson is wild simply because we are not yet sure whether she'll be a able to have a lengthy career at all due to her persistent injury troubles.
    Roger forever

Agreed...Keys will be poised for a rankings dip after the AO, but then I think she'll take off again.

I've heard other bandy Chirico's name around, and she did have some good results on the main tour this year, so there might be something to that.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Keys will be in the top 10 for sure. I think you all are giving way too much weight to the most recent results.

About Chirico I have no idea as I've never seen her play, but the bet on Robson is wild simply because we are not yet sure whether she'll be a able to have a lengthy career at all due to her persistent injury troubles.
    Or even play pain free .

For the ranking prediction, I look more at if the player can stay at the position for awhile rather than a month or two.

can we speculate on who is more likely to partner Martina Hingis in mixed doubles at Rio...Roger or Stan??

Quote Originally Posted by the Moz View Post
    can we speculate on who is more likely to partner Martina Hingis in mixed doubles at Rio...Roger or Stan??
    Is it going out on a limb to say neither?
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Is it going out on a limb to say neither?
    Too bad. A missed opportunity for either player.

Especially Roger. Medalling in all 3 disciplines would be an impressive accomplishment to add to his CV.

Alas, that Gold in singles is what he wants...

Don't think Roger would be interested. Stan I actually think could get some enthusiasm over that.
    But I agree. Don't see them signing up for Mixed. A bit of a heavy load.
    Starry starry night

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast