Agree Agree:  20
Likes Likes:  18
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: The Speculation Thread

Possibly albeit she plays nothing like them.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Possibly albeit she plays nothing like them.
    Sure. I was just thinking of players who stay highly ranked but usually aren't in the favorites conversation when a slam rolls around.

That got me thinking: who does Bouchard play like? The best way I can describe her game is "aggressive bunting." I really can't come up with a single player on the WTA tour. Lleyton Hewitt is as close as I can get.

Josh Meiseles ‏@jmeistennis 7h7 hours ago
    Fritz joins Tomic, Young, Kyrgios, Coric and Zverev as the only players aged 17 & under to win a Challenger title in the last decade.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Early in 2016, we will have 3 Czech ladies in top 10

Quote Originally Posted by Correspondent Kiu View Post
    Early in 2016, we will have 3 Czech ladies in top 10
    I have the opposite guess. I think Pliskova is going to have a sophomore slump and fall to the 18-25 range. She was 6th in the race around the French Open/Wimbledon and fizzled a bit afterwards.

Speculate, please, on whether Mugu keeps climbing up, or does she do a Bouchard?
    Starry starry night

Muguruza, in my opinion, ran out of gas in Singapore.
    That said the improvement in her game since Sumyk game aboard is major. I think she's going to go deep in majors and depending on Serena's schedule could possibly pull off an upset.

I don't think she'll do a Bouchard. She's very hungry, very talented, and is willing to follow direction. She could be a contender in 2016.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    I have the opposite guess. I think Pliskova is going to have a sophomore slump and fall to the 18-25 range. She was 6th in the race around the French Open/Wimbledon and fizzled a bit afterwards.
    Agree, and I feel the same way about Bencic. They both played a ton of tournaments this year, and are due for a dip
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Speculate, please, on whether Mugu keeps climbing up, or does she do a Bouchard?
    Based on absolutely nothing, I feel like she will be the Thomas Berdych of the WTA.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    Based on absolutely nothing, I feel like she will be the Thomas Berdych of the WTA.
    Which means she will some slams by default if Serena is not there to stop her.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ2004 View Post
    Or Aga...

Serena stopped everyone at once this year, but no one in particular.

Since we are in a speculation thread: Kvitova will win Wimbledon again next year and Djokovic will fall one slam short of a calendar year slam yet again.
    Roger forever

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by MJ2004 View Post
    You could have Berdych play a possum in the final of a major, and that possum will be lifting a trophy with its little possum paws after 4 sets.

("Possum trophy" made for an interesting image search)

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    Berdych has a top ranking of #4 and has made one slam final. She obviously can't compete in longevity at the moment, but I think Muguruza has pretty much passed him already.

I think her worst case scenario would be Kuznetsova or Kvitova (inconsistent, but still several years in the top 10 and a few slams), but I'm betting she's the real deal. A Sharapova-esque career. Not the most consistent over 12 months or year-to-year, but hits #1 for a chunk and wins a handful of slams (literally, 4-5ish).

I hope you guys are right, as I like Mugu a lot. I like her personality and she is a bit of a Spanish speaking Petko. Sometimes, she does some funny stuff.
    I gather we will talk about this as the year ends and we make predictions for 2016, but the next thing is Bouchard. After her annus horribilis, I wonder how far back she will get. Seems she has hit her personal bottom but then again, Vaidisova was "guaranteed" to win Slams and we know how that ended (then again, lucky for Genie, Radek has said he is done with tennis playing wives, so she is safe). So I am not sure if Genie will be able to ever claim that Slam mantle again, something that I hope, but it is more than that. I don't even know if she can come back to top ten. Which would be a shame.
    Starry starry night

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast