Agree Agree:  7
Likes Likes:  25
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: 2015 Men's USOSP Picks & Results

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    I hate to go out of the SP in the first day, so he was well spent.
    Ditto

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Don't look now, but the bandwagon dropped the opening set.
    I put in the work and wanted it so badly but this guy is the best for a reason. He is such a complete player ... maybe I'll just punch him or something, I don't know. - Andy Roddick

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Don't look now, but the bandwagon dropped the opening set.
    Oh Oh. Deja-vu?

Edit: It is starting to look like a few years ago (I forget). Pospisil in deep trouble, after getting the lead.
    Last edited by ponchi101; 08-31-2015 at 06:24 PM.
    Missing winter...

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

One freaking game in the last two sets! Down with barely a whimper.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

306 began, 216 have advanced to Day 2, with 1 more waiting on Nadal (seems like he'll be safely through shortly).

One of my personal SP rules is to not join the biggest bandwagon in the first week. I decided today was the day to break that. Sorry if this is my fault...

My rule is to never look at the bandwagon and to make my pick for myself. If that happens to be the wagon and I'm on it... then so be it.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Less than an hour before Day 2 threads close. Some men's picks still missing. Early breakdown shows:

SOCK Jack 31
    TOMIC Bernard 26
    MULLER Gilles 20
    ROSOL Lukas 15
    TROICKI Viktor 14
    KOHLSCHREIBER Philipp 15
    KARLOVIC Ivo 11
    MANNARINO Adrian 9
    GULBIS Ernests 9
    THIEM Dominic 8
    ANDERSON Kevin 8
    ISNER John 7
    BAGHDATIS Marcos 6
    BELLUCCI Thomaz 4
    GIRALDO Santiago 3
    GARCIA-LOPEZ Guillermo 2
    GASQUET Richard 2
    YOUZHNY Mikhail 2
    QUERREY Sam 2
    HEWITT Lleyton 1
    DUCKWORTH James 1
    Mathieu Paul-Henri 1
    BERDYCH Tomas 1
    CHUNG Hyeon 1
    RAM Rajeev 1

I missed the carnage so much

Down almost a third on day 1, we're left with 216 souls

Now lets see if Day 2 has enlightened thee....

TOMIC Bernard 27: can't believe I took Bernie, and so have a few others. Seems like a solid choice, specially since Hewitt looms in the second round and Gasquet in the third.

MULLER Gilles 21: his chances of winning are slightly higher than those of losing; but I get the same feeling I had with Pospisil.

SOCK Jack 34: on paper he should win, however Estrella Burgos could prove a tough bone to pick. I would've looked elsewhere for something more "comfortable".

TROICKI Viktor 14: even a slumping Troicki should win this match, right? RIGHT?! Well, I'm not so sure. To make things worse he's in the subsection of Wawrinka's eighth. The same one that has the injured Simon. This area should be avoided at all costs.

KARLOVIC Ivo 11: Karlovic is on the shortlist of the NEVER EVER PICK!. Still, if ever he was going to prove me wrong it's during these next two rounds. Then we get the snooze-fest of Ivo-Isner

KOHLSCHREIBER Philipp 14: aging German plays talented young German. I have a bad feeling about this.

ROSOL Lukas 15: of all the unnecessarily risky picks, this is one of the better versions.

ANDERSON Kevin 8: sure pick for today. But maybe too soon?

MANNARINO Adrian 9: see Rosol, Lukas.

BAGHDATIS Marcos 6: quietly stringing along victories here and there, he's as good as it gets as long as unseeded picks go. Plus he gets Roger next.

ISNER John 9: Jaziri has been playing well including a good run at Winston Salem last week. That added to John moaning about being tired sets off my Upset Alarm.

GULBIS Ernests 9: along with Karlovic and Stepanek, he is the third member of the NEVER EVER Trinity. Doesn't matter who he plays.

THIEM Dominic 9: he had a good run on clay after Wimbledon but stalled on the hardcourts. I would've waited and seen before using him.

GIRALDO Santiago 3: 55-45%. Boy, do you guys love torture.

YOUZHNY Mikhail 2: best days are long gone. Dismal results all year long. This wagon was covered in arrows and aflame before it even left. Funny thing is, this one might just wobble through.

BELLUCCI Thomaz 5: one of the riskier seeds. On ranking he should be good for these two rounds but I give you no guarantees.

DUCKWORTH James 1: see you in 2016!

Mathieu Paul-Henri 1: Youzhny II, the Revenge of the Old Beat Down Wagon.

GARCIA-LOPEZ Guillermo 2: you're banking on Tipsarevic still being injured/recovering, otherwise that could get really dramatic.

CHUNG Hyeon 1: young promise who I think will win.

RAM Rajeev 1: if only this were 1915 and still played in Newport I'd love this pick; alas this is not the case and you're a century late. 50/50 odds against Harrison.

QUERREY Sam 2: another masochist. He should outserve Mahut, but why risk it?

GASQUET Richard 2: better option down the road. Tough match today being safer to use later. In the end, too soon.

HEWITT Lleyton 1: the nostalgic pick. One last hurrah for Rusty.

BERDYCH Tomas 1: OK, so he's had some tough losses lately, but he has three rounds in him at least. Better used up later IMO.

SIMON Gilles 1: he's been horrid as of late. Wait and see was the MO here. I fear this one might lose... badly.

KUDLA Denis 1:
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Wow, it sounds like I picked the only likely winner today! This SP is gonna be easy
    I put in the work and wanted it so badly but this guy is the best for a reason. He is such a complete player ... maybe I'll just punch him or something, I don't know. - Andy Roddick

Quote Originally Posted by Drop-shot View Post
    YOUZHNY Mikhail 2: best days are long gone. Dismal results all year long. This wagon was covered in arrows and aflame before it even left. Funny thing is, this one might just wobble through.

DUCKWORTH James 1: see you in 2016!

Mathieu Paul-Henri 1: Youzhny II, the Revenge of the Old Beat Down Wagon.

RAM Rajeev 1: if only this were 1915 and still played in Newport I'd love this pick; alas this is not the case and you're a century late. 50/50 odds against Harrison.
    &
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

There were 7 no picks, so we're already down to 205. We'll see what other fun the day has in store for us.

SOCK Jack 35
    TOMIC Bernard 28
    MULLER Gilles 17
    ROSOL Lukas 15
    TROICKI Viktor 15
    KOHLSCHREIBER Philipp 15
    KARLOVIC Ivo 10
    MANNARINO Adrian 9
    THIEM Dominic 8
    ISNER John 9
    GULBIS Ernests 9
    ANDERSON Kevin 8
    BAGHDATIS Marcos 5
    BELLUCCI Thomaz 3
    GIRALDO Santiago 3
    GARCIA-LOPEZ Guillermo 2
    GASQUET Richard 2
    YOUZHNY Mikhail 2
    QUERREY Sam 2
    HEWITT Lleyton 1
    DUCKWORTH James 1
    Mathieu Paul-Henri 1
    BERDYCH Tomas 1
    SIMON Gilles 1
    CHUNG Hyeon 1
    KUDLA Denis 1
    RAM Rajeev 1
    no pick 7

GULBIS Ernests 9: along with Karlovic and Stepanek, he is the third member of the NEVER EVER Trinity. Doesn't matter who he plays.

lol. I am Ernie's biggest fan, and I would never pick him.

I had a total panic moment when I realized I was one of only 2 Youzhny pickers. I thought maybe he had the measles and had his right hand amputated and everyone knew but me. But he just played this guy and beat him, so I took the chance. Still, I'm nervous...
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Drop-shot View Post
    TOMIC Bernard 27: can't believe I took Bernie, and so have a few others. Seems like a solid choice, specially since Hewitt looms in the second round and Gasquet in the third.
    Hewitt looms? that's scary?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast