Agree Agree:  2
Likes Likes:  7

View Poll Results: Do you use the chat bar?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 35.71%
  • No

9 64.29%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Do you use the chat bar?

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    I thought they left because they didn't like the format of the new chat room.

As for spying, I know you would have told people that the chat room was being moderated if you had any intention to monitor it.

So, I agree. Exiled by choice.
    One of the chat systems I tried allowed for moderators to view the chat in real time without being in the room. I disabled it. Another one logged all chats. I also disabled that. No chat session was ever spied on.

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    Either way...with USO around the corner seems a prime opportunity to try to breathe a little life into chat for a couple weeks...I'll try to pop in when I can!
    This is a good idea! I'll promote it with banners and on FB.

::

The nicest part of that "old blue chat" was that a list of those using it could be displayed on the front page of the forums list. It wasn't necessary to open the chat room to see who was there. That's the part that was incompatible with the updated forum software.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    I thought they left because they didn't like the format of the new chat room.

As for spying, I know you would have told people that the chat room was being moderated if you had any intention to monitor it.

So, I agree. Exiled by choice.
    9-16-210

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    We're also making a change to how our chat room operates. Starting immediately, all chats will be automatically transcribed and the previous 48 hours will be written to a log file on our server. No one will have access to this log file except me and it WILL NOT be read by anyone, including me, unless it's necessary to arbitrate a disagreement or to verify a reported rule violation. Don't have an expectation of privacy while in the chat room, and remember that all forum rules apply in chat as well.
    The decision was reversed two days later.

9/18/2010

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    The conversations in the chat room WILL NOT be logged.

I don't recall a single instance when it would have been helpful to go back and read a chat log. So why start logging them now? Why put that extra load on the server? Why discourage the conversation that might be perfectly acceptable, but of a personal nature? Although I never would have read the transcripts unless necessary, I don't even like having them available. And even though I don't think there should be an expectation of privacy in a public chat room, the idea of the logs goes against my own feelings about privacy.

Anyway, no changes are being made to how the chat room operates.
    And then there was the new chat which offered no privacy at all. The one where the chat box appeared at the bottom of the forum so anyone could read what the participants were discussing.

Also, if one of the founding goals of the forum was to build a strong, vibrant community I wouldn't so easily dismiss the concerns of the "Exiled". The regular Chatters were a very close knit group since the very nature of a chat room allowed people to discuss personal matters that you would not otherwise post on the forum since that's a public area. Not to mention the Chat was super fun, and everyone had a blast making each other laugh. It really did embody the goals of the community and is truly missed.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

This thread was to see if a chatroom Kirk paid separately for was still worth a go. If you are interested in playing the blame game, you can take it somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    9-16-210

The decision was reversed two days later.

9/18/2010

And then there was the new chat which offered no privacy at all. The one where the chat box appeared at the bottom of the forum so anyone could read what the participants were discussing.

Also, if one of the founding goals of the forum was to build a strong, vibrant community I wouldn't so easily dismiss the concerns of the "Exiled". The regular Chatters were a very close knit group since the very nature of a chat room allowed people to discuss personal matters that you would not otherwise post on the forum since that's a public area. Not to mention the Chat was super fun, and everyone had a blast making each other laugh. It really did embody the goals of the community and is truly missed.
    2010!!! This happened 5 years ago and it's still being brought up?

#movealongmovealong
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I got the answer I needed. Enough people use the chat bar and chat room to justify keeping it. Maybe a little promotion, something I haven't done enough of, will make it more popular.

Thanks everyone for your vote.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12