Agree Agree:  46
Likes Likes:  65
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Re: Television Random Random (Spoilers)

I thought the new Veronica Mars season was excellent, but it is sure to be extremely polarizing. I like the direction they are going for the sure to be announced soon season 5.
    This is not the bouquet you toss

I haven't watched yet, but just the way you wrote that makes me concerned. Not just polarizing but extremely polarizing? I feel like I've moved on from my VM days, wasn't nearly the same level excited as other fans who watched from the start like me, so not sure I'm as invested as others and it won't effect me as much, but we'll see.
    Last edited by JazzNU; 07-24-2019 at 02:13 PM.

I watched the last two episodes of Fosse/Verdon last night. What great television it was. Michelle Williams made me a fan. Sam Rockwell was excellent in the role of Fosse. He got the nuance of "active addict" and creative genius just right.

The backstage world of Broadway was shown and how aging, once you're perceived a certain way, gets in the way.

Why did they never divorce? The show makes the viewer have to decide.

I can't go into more detail because there would be so many spoilers. I read Nicole Fosse's reason for allowing outsiders into the world she grew up in midway through the show, about episode 4. I think she achieved her purpose.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    I thought the new Veronica Mars season was excellent, but it is sure to be extremely polarizing. I like the direction they are going for the sure to be announced soon season 5.
    I enjoyed it a lot although there were some small plot holes/decisions that I thought were slightly off. I was sad but not angry about that polarizing decision and found the negative fan reaction ridiculous. I initially thought it was a cop-out but saw/read some interviews that made me rethink it. I do hope they get greenlit for season 5.

I also re-watched the whole series + movie in anticipation and even season 3 started to look pretty engaging on this re-watch.

Side note - the guy that played Duncan Kane - Teddy Dunn - left acting and became a lawyer. His bio is on his firm's website - his pro bono work includes working for Guantanamo Bay prisoners!

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    I haven't watched yet, but just the way you wrote that makes me concerned. Not just polarizing but extremely polarizing? I feel like I've moved on from my VM days, wasn't nearly the same level excited as other fans who watched from the start like me, so not sure I'm as invested as others and it won't accept me as much, but we'll see.
    Depending on what you were watching it for, you may enjoy it. They've ditched the CW teen vibe and it is full on noir now (but still clever and funny).

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    I also re-watched the whole series + movie in anticipation and even season 3 started to look pretty engaging on this re-watch.
    So is it picking up from where the movie left off? And I don't believe you about Season 3 unless your re-watch included a re-write of certain storylines.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    So is it picking up from where the movie left off? And I don't believe you about Season 3 unless your re-watch included a re-write of certain storylines.
    Yes, and no. Veronica is in Neptune, and with Logan but other than that the movie is not mentioned in the series, and many of the characters from the movie are not in season 4.

According to Rob Thomas, though, everything in the movie and the two novels are canon and happened.

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    According to Rob Thomas, though, everything in the movie and the two novels are canon and happened.
    I don't doubt that, it's just that the movie wasn't that great, and season 4, for me, did everything the movie was trying to do but did it much better.

Are there any fans of The Leftovers here?

I'm watching it now - just finished season 1. I'm really enjoying it so far. The writing and the acting are both great.

I was never a fan of Lost - I watched barely one season before giving up on it. The Leftovers is doing a better job of holding my interest though. And it helps that it only lasted three seasons (not a fan of shows that run too long) and is on HBO (more creative and hopefully intelligent freedom).

I tried a few episodes and hated it. I'm ok with a "downer" show but I found I couldn't stand the characters and thought whatever group had taken a vow of silence but could still write notes on a notepad was very annoying too. I made it 3-4 episodes in and stopped.

I was the opposite for Lost... never gave up on it and liked it the whole way through...didn't even mind the finale which a lot of people didn't like. I loved the characters on Lost, but some of the writing probably was sketchy so we probably enjoy shows for different reasons
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    I tried a few episodes and hated it. I'm ok with a "downer" show but I found I couldn't stand the characters and thought whatever group had taken a vow of silence but could still write notes on a notepad was very annoying too. I made it 3-4 episodes in and stopped.
    100% agree. Can't get that time back.

MJ, despite our disliking this show, plenty did enjoy it. And the first season, while liked by many, is considered the weakest of the 3 seasons. It gets progressively better with the second season receiving a lot of critical acclaim and the third season being considered almost flawless receiving universal acclaim. So keep with it since you like, it only gets better.

Absolutely love The Leftovers. It's definitely a bizarre ramp up, though, because the main actress of the series barely appears until episode 4 (or she's only around in the background or something), and everyone raves about her performance.

They also let Ann Down chew the scenery more and more as the series progresses, and she's phenomenal (also great in Handmaid's Tale and Good Behavior).

The premise is fascinating. I suppose, if you have access to all the episodes (on HBO Go or something), you could just watch the very beginning of episodes 2, 3, and 4 to get a "Previously On" recap, then start at episode 5. You could also read the summary of those first episodes on Wikipedia (link)

(Using the "Previously On" trick is actually pretty handy. When I was trying to introduce my brother to Survivor, we'd watch all the minute recaps up until the merge, then start there. It makes the commitment less daunting.)

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223