Agree Agree:  39
Likes Likes:  58
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Re: Television Random Random (Spoilers)

Agree about the countdown.

I was just happy I got the aside about Sondheim's "Company".
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Agree about the countdown.

I was just happy I got the aside about Sondheim's "Company".
    I missed that part completely and have no idea what it means. Like I said, the inside Broadway stuff here is a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    I missed that part completely and have no idea what it means. Like I said, the inside Broadway stuff here is a lot.
    My daughter trained as a singer and is a huge Stephen Sondheim fan. I've watched almost all of his work. Otherwise I would have no idea what that reference was about either.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    That being said, the approach worked very well in the second episode in particular to add that much needed depth I was mentioning. So I don't hate it. I'm used to it in other shows as well, seems rather popular lately. But it does seem to assume a bit with this biographical show. It's much easier to follow the jumps if you're aware of the people involved and what was going on at the time.
    When they would cut to the past it was done at a slower speed and made it easier to follow.

I immediately looked up Ms McCracken's life.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Empire will end with upcoming season 6.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    Empire will end with upcoming season 6.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk
    Only three seasons too late
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

I don't see a way to do a spoiler tag here and after trying ones that work elsewhere I'm just going to post this in a simpler fashion.

I know GoT fans are sensitive about spoilers as most of us are about shows we watch. So, if you have watched the most recent episode (5/12/19) and you are either a fan of American sports or at least follow them somewhat, follow this link below, it may be something you wanted to know. It's a minor tidbit rather than a real spoiler, but still reveals something that happened in this episode.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxY8ZvLJ0RH/

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

The spoiler is in the thread title so everyone here has been warned.

Sure hoping the Packers season isn't going to go down in flames like Rodgers did. Here is the rest of the cameo - at very end of the video:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/be-p...nes/vp-AABiCW2
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

I'm watching an old episode of La Femme Nikita from the 90s. One of the writers must have been a tennis fan. Some of the minor characters mentioned are Dechy, Pierce, and Ferrer Ferrero.

Edit: Thought it was Ferrer at first, then they said Ferrero, which makes more sense for the time period. Now someone just said Ferrer again. Maybe they changed the name in the scripts, and not everyone got the edit?
    Last edited by Charlie02123; 06-24-2019 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    I'm watching an old episode of La Femme Nikita from the 90s. One of the writers must have been a tennis fan. Some of the minor characters mentioned are Dechy, Pierce, and Ferrer Ferrero.

Edit: Thought it was Ferrer at first, then they said Ferrero, which makes more sense for the time period. Now someone just said Ferrer again. Maybe they changed the name in the scripts, and not everyone got the edit?
    La Femme Nikita is still my all time favorite show. The themes are still relevant.

Phoebe Waller-Bridge defends Fleabag from poshness criticisms
    Writer says defining series as being ‘for posh girls’ undermines story

Mattha Busby

Wed 3 Jul 2019 19.19 BST Last modified on Thu 4 Jul 2019 12.22 BST

Phoebe Waller-Bridge has responded to criticism that Fleabag is “for posh girls”, insisting such arguments “undermine the story” and that people from a wide range of backgrounds relate to the show.

While the programme has been widely acclaimed, some observers have said its main character’s privileged circumstances mean it should not be seen as universally relatable. In April, a Guardian article argued that while Fleabag is “a work of undeniable genius”, those who did not recognise themselves in it were being drowned out.

“Fleabag is posh, and so is her creator Phoebe Waller-Bridge … and that’s totally fine,” the critic Ellen E Jones wrote. “[But] Fleabag is not ‘women’. She’s just that particular subsection who already make up the majority of women in public life, anyway.”

Asked what her reaction was when people describe her as being privileged, Waller-Bridge said it was “absolutely probably true” that many people do not have the same opportunities she did to be able to make “their Fleabag”.

But she took umbrage with criticism about the substance of her work as related to her background.

“To criticise a story on the basis of where the author had come from, or how privileged the author is, undermines the story,” she told the podcast How to Fail with Elizabeth Day.

“I’ve never pretended that I’m not from a privileged position, I really know that I am … I was perfectly set up to have success in the world.

“I suppose some of the criticism is that it was ‘just for posh girls’ and what I loved was that people were sending me photos of tweets ... There was one guy saying ‘I’m a disabled 42-year-old man living in Hull and I am Fleabag’. And it was like ‘Yes mate!’ because that’s always what I’m striving for … That people feel like it is a human story.”

Waller-Bridge was educated at private schools and descends from titled nobility on both sides of her family. She also attended the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in London, one of the most prestigious such institutions in the UK.

However, she said she had “really, really worked for it” and that her privilege in itself had not created Fleabag, though she conceded the tale was told through the prism of a middle-class family.

“I created Fleabag, but from a point of place in my life where I was able to sit and write, and I was able to take the time, and I was around people who could support that,” said Waller-Bridge, who also wrote Killing Eve.

“I like to think that whatever life I’d lived, wherever I’d been born or brought up, I would still have written if I had been given the encouragement, and actually that’s the thing that I care about, encouraging people to do it.”

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...ess-criticisms

I'm just about done with "Fleabag" so I'll wait to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I'm just about done with "Fleabag" so I'll wait to comment.
    I tried one episode. I didn't care for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ2004 View Post
    I tried one episode. I didn't care for it.
    She's not likeable. At all.

Television Random Random (Spoilers)

Plus the show was extremely overly pretentious. I think that speaks to the above article.

It's like the British version of Girls.
    Last edited by MJ2004; 07-08-2019 at 08:54 AM.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122