Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 NFL Thread

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

2015 NFL Thread

CNN has the following at the bottom of the screen:

Breaking News
    NFL: Brady destroyed phone containing evidence.

I don't know what that means, but the NFL has thrown out his appeal and the 4 game suspension has been upheld.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Re: 2015 NFL Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    CNN has the following at the bottom of the screen:

Breaking News
    NFL: Brady destroyed phone containing evidence.

I don't know what that means, but the NFL has thrown out his appeal and the 4 game suspension has been upheld.
    Apparently he directed his assistant to destroy his phone just before the March 6 hearing.

ETA:

SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter 38m38 minutes ago

NFL says Tom Brady directed that his cell phone be destroyed on or shortly before March 6, when Brady met with investigator Ted Wells.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

NFL Upholds Tom Brady's Four-Game Suspension [Updating]

Barry Petchesky

Roger Goodell has upheld Tom Brady’s four-game suspension for his role in the Patriots’ illegal deflation of footballs. New England will be without its QB for the first four games of the season, and the NFLPA will, perhaps, see the NFL in court.

Reported settlement talks apparently broke down, and in today’d decision, which can be read below, Goodell writes that “Brady engaged in conduct detrimental to the integrity of, and public confidence in, the game of professional football.”

Here’s the NFL’s statement, which emphasizes Brady’s refusal to cooperate with the investigation—and accuses him of destroying his cell phone to hide evidence.

In the opinion informing Brady that his appeal had been denied, Commissioner Goodell emphasized important new information disclosed by Brady and his representatives in connection with the hearing.

On or shortly before March 6, the day that Tom Brady met with independent investigator Ted Wells and his colleagues, Brady directed that the cell phone he had used for the prior four months be destroyed. He did so even though he was aware that the investigators had requested access to text messages and other electronic information that had been stored on that phone. During the four months that the cell phone was in use, Brady had exchanged nearly 10,000 text messages, none of which can now be retrieved from that device. The destruction of the cell phone was not disclosed until June 18, almost four months after the investigators had first sought electronic information from Brady.

Based on the Wells Report and the evidence presented at the hearing, Commissioner Goodell concluded in his decision that Brady was aware of, and took steps to support, the actions of other team employees to deflate game footballs below the levels called for by the NFL’s Official Playing Rules. The commissioner found that Brady’s deliberate destruction of potentially relevant evidence went beyond a mere failure to cooperate in the investigation and supported a finding that he had sought to hide evidence of his own participation in the underlying scheme to alter the footballs.
    Brady's explanation for destroying his phone: He always does this when he gets a new phone pic.twitter.com/XUzhAW1PCb
    July 28, 2015
    We shouldn’t even have to say this, but the NFL has no right to Tom Brady’s phone, and disposing of one’s personal property isn’t against any NFL rules. But the league is hitting this one hard for the purposes of swaying public opinion.

If the NFL is to be believed, the lack of a smoking gun is itself the smoking gun.

Page 13 of the @nfl's full release also contains some very pertinent info: pic.twitter.com/fMePm4Chax
    July 28, 2015
    The NFLPA is widely expected to sue the NFL over Brady’s suspension. If the union obtains an injunction, the case could take years to exhaust all appeals (like the Vikings’ Williams Wall StarCaps case, which took three years). There’s a strong chance Tom Brady will retire before he serves any suspension.

http://deadspin.com/nfl-upholds-tom-...ium=socialflow

The full text of Goodell's opinion is at the link.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

The cover-up is worse than the crime. What a liar!

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    The cover-up is worse than the crime. What a liar!
    Isn't that usually the case?

I actually liked Tom Brady before deflategate. Add this to the video taping incidents of a few seasons back and you have to wonder if the Patriots are just flat out cheaters.

Maybe a big fat * needs to be added to their recent Super Bowl win(s).

Statement released by the Patriots:

I mean it's totally incomprehensible! Totally incomprehensible!

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Ohhhh. Okay. Now I understand. The league made him cheat and then destroy evidence.

(Do we have any N.E. fans here and should I shut up?)

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

The Patriots are the kings of doing whatever is vague or not "against the rules" explicitly and then crying foul when they get punished for it. They're like the kid who says "well you didn't tell me I couldn't do THAT..." and then make a big stink about being punished how everyone's picking on them.

But I've always hated the Patriots personally...but not from them being successful. I started watching football in the early 90's when they were terrible...but in Halifax we only got 2 games a week and New England, the closest team geographically, was always one of the games....which was frequently them getting stomped.

Scarborough police watch over Roger Goodell’s home on Prout’s Neck

The town's police chief says the NFL 'did reach out' to his department on Tuesday as the commissioner upheld the suspension of New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady.

By David Hench Staff Writer

Scarborough police are keeping an eye on the Prout’s Neck property of NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, who upheld the four-game suspension of New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady on Tuesday – a decision that’s unlikely to sit well with fans of the Super Bowl champions.

The NFL contacted Scarborough police Tuesday.

“They did reach out and let us know about the decision and that it might not be popular,” said Scarborough Police Chief Robbie Moulton.

He said there had been no problems or threats that he was aware of since the decision was announced and police were not planning anything unusual in terms of protection.

“We’re aware of the situation and will be patrolling the area certainly,” Moulton said.

Goodell is believed to own a $6.5 million house on Bohemia Way. Before that, he vacationed in Scarborough over the years. He is married to Jane Skinner, a former reporter for WCSH-TV in Portland. Moulton said the town and the NFL stay in communication throughout the summer. However, he wouldn’t say whether Goodell was in town.

On Tuesday, Goodell upheld the four-game suspension for the star quarterback and Super Bowl MVP, saying Brady destroyed evidence in connection with the probe into whether he was involved in the deflation of footballs used in the AFC championship game.

This isn’t the first time Scarborough police have monitored reaction to decisions made by the NFL commissioner.

“In the past, when there have been unpopular decisions, there have been emails and things. I wouldn’t say it rose to the level of threats, but certainly expressing unhappiness,” Moulton said.

http://www.pressherald.com/2015/07/2...n-prouts-neck/

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

The idea that local law enforcement had to even be contacted says a lot about our culture. And it's not positive.

The idea that local law enforcement had to even be contacted says a lot about our culture. And it's not positive.
    Actually I say it was a step in the right direction - time was local law enforcement would be the ones leading the mob.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    Actually I say it was a step in the right direction - time was local law enforcement would be the ones leading the mob.

I was in Boston last week and did not meet a single person who believed Brady had done anything wrong. They were ALL drunk on their own Kool-Aid.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

I was in Boston two weeks ago and echo what Miles said. Leaving a Red Sox game there were more people selling Brady is Innocent or Free Brady t-shirts then Red Sox shirts.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

God this kills me every time I watch it.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast