Agree Agree:  5
Likes Likes:  18
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: Women's 2015 Wimbledon SP Picks and Results

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Six people did take Bouchard, after all. Best of luck. Hope they make it, because right now Bouchard is an unknown quantity.
    I picked Bouchard's opponent, because as a qualifier, she has, by definition, won more times on grass than Bouchard has this season.

Quote Originally Posted by enigmaticdan View Post
    I picked Bouchard's opponent, because as a qualifier, she has, by definition, won more times on grass than Bouchard has this season.
    That takes guts!
    Missing winter...

I'll be surprised if Bouchard loses. Didn't pick her but considered it. She actually played quite well in the first two sets against Mladenovic two weeks ago, then won her first match the following week. If you can take a set off Mladenovic in this grass court season, you can handle a qualifier.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

The other factor, though, is Bouchard's abdominal injury. She lost twelve straight points to start the second set and then retired in a match last week. It really affected her serving. Apparently she didn't practice at all for several days, so (in addition to her form so far this year) the big question is whether she's physically fit to compete today.

I did not realize it was a real injury. Thought she'd won a match to break her long losing streak and then bailed on the tourney to get ready for Wimbledon.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Both holdover Caroline Garcia Pickers are out. Raising the official Day 1 death tally by two.
    I disapprove of this message

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Giorgi is ahead but struggling mightily with Pereira, already having 11 double faults.

The one thing that gave me pause about picking her (I went ahead and did it) was those double faults. In the grass court tournament she won recently, I checked the stats after an early-round victory and she served a whopping 23 double faults to four aces. Someone that clueless on serve can lose to anyone.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Not a lot of action thus far. Lost 6 Genie pickers and 4 scattered lone picks.
    I disapprove of this message

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by enigmaticdan View Post
    Well done!

Very impressed by Enigmaticdan's choice of Bouchard's opponent. You need guts like that to win this contest!
    Missing winter...

Haha, actually, I'm so used to losing in SPs that I've decided sometimes, you just gotta do the fun thing!

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Unless it was too early!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzyg View Post
    The one thing that gave me pause about picking her (I went ahead and did it) was those double faults. In the grass court tournament she won recently, I checked the stats after an early-round victory and she served a whopping 23 double faults to four aces. Someone that clueless on serve can lose to anyone.
    That's because Giorgi hits both serves pretty much equally hard. She doesn't know the meaning of safe play on serve or elsewhere.
    Roger forever

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    That's because Giorgi hits both serves pretty much equally hard. She doesn't know the meaning of safe play on serve or elsewhere.
    Yeah, Giorgi doesn't have a second serve. Reminiscent of Jelena Dokic in that respect. Actually, there are quite a few similarities between those two.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast