Agree Agree:  17
Likes Likes:  27
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: 2015 Smarty Jones Stakes

Here y'all go.

What a run. For the horse to take the early lead and run away with it even with the extra weight was something to see.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FUN FACT: We've now had two Triple Crown winners in the past 4 years--American Pharoah and Justify. The most recent common ancestor for both is Storm Cat (great grandsire for American Pharoah, great-great grandsire for Justify). Storm Cat was sired by a son of Northern Dancer and out of a daughter of Secretariat. If you get a chance, read up on Storm Cat's wiki. It's an interesting read (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_Cat).

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

It was truly impressive going wire to wire. But I was also way impressed by Gronkowski. He had a terrible break to start the race and at one point was 5 or 6 lengths behind the pack. Yet he managed to pass them all for a 2nd place finish. You have to wonder what might have happened had he had a better start.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    It was truly impressive going wire to wire. But I was also way impressed by Gronkowski. He had a terrible break to start the race and at one point was 5 or 6 lengths behind the pack. Yet he managed to pass them all for a 2nd place finish. You have to wonder what might have happened had he had a better start.
    Back in the old days, a fast closer like Gronkowski was precisely the type of horse that usually won the Belmont.

I have no idea what Bravazo's team was thinking. He nearly won the Preakness but apparently had nothing left for the Belmont. BTW, Bravazo and Justify were the only two horses in the field that ran in all three Triple Crown races.

I don't think any other horse was beating Justify. Did you notice that after the race ended he ran full tilt for quite awhile despite Smith trying to hold him back? That was the most amazing thing about the race to me.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Exactly...not often you see a horse with that much gas left in the tank like that after leading the whole time. Very impressive. I wasn't sure if seeing a Triple Crown winner again would be as exciting but it was!
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    I think Gronkowski would've won it (very hard to say that, can't stand real Gronk). We've seen a lot of horses win the first two and lose Belmont, and really think this would've followed that. Not only did Gronkowski get a terrible start, he seemed to stutter slightly and not recover fully almost in consideration of just stopping because of having such a bad start. So much time wasted that would've resulted in a win if just a little bit of a better start, not even a great one, a semi-slow one is suggestive of him winning this Belmont.

This Belmont was exciting because history was being made, but the Preakness was the most exciting of the races for me this year, and it's not close. Wire to wire is impressive of course, but I remain most impressed that he held off the challengers on that muddy track at Pimlico.

Was an entertaining race.

Clearly the plan was to get Justify out front (which made sense, but tough on the long Belmont race).

It was not lost on me that the other Baffert horse (Restoring Hope) sure made things "wide" entering Turn 1. That allowed Smith to control the pace from the point. That was the other thing that I wondered...namely if that hadn't happened would another horse had gotten him.

Gronkowski truly came out of nowhere (kind of like real life). In fact, when the announcer said the result I was a bit stunned, as I didn't realize that was the horse making the charge since he was so far back.

Separate aside - I would like to see a chart over history of trends for both average number of starters in all 3 races plus how many horses run 2 or 3 of the Triple Crown.

My casual fandom makes me think that horse racing purists bristle at the "let's save horses for Preakness or Belmont" the way old timey baseball fans hate that it is either HR or K now...
    Last edited by fastbackss; 06-11-2018 at 07:14 AM.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

The hard part about watching the race is once the hit the home stretch, they get rid of the order of the horses...is it really that hard to keep it up for the end? Or is it for betting reasons...so as not to show the final unofficial results?
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    The hard part about watching the race is once the hit the home stretch, they get rid of the order of the horses...is it really that hard to keep it up for the end? Or is it for betting reasons...so as not to show the final unofficial results?
    This is probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    I think it's also for visual reasons. The horses start fanning out more on that final stretch to make their push for the end and the current graphic would block much more of that. They could go to more of a bottom ticker possibly, they could go that route and stress it's unofficial and pull it immediately off the screen at the end of the race to wait for official results. But none of us work for NBC Sports (right?) to suggest that as a possibly to them.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

There were two phenomenal horse races at Keeneland today--the last chances to automatically qualify for the Breeder's Cup races about 1 month from now.

The Dixiana Bourbon race was phenomenal. Photo finish for 1st/2nd.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

The Joddmonte Spinster race was also phenomenal for completely different reasons. Check what Blue Prize does down the stretch... Bizarre!

Cannot embed, so here is the link to video.

The winners of today's races automatically earn a spot in their respective Breeder's Cup races.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...-spinster-s-g1

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678